Name Change, lol

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Name Change, lol

Post by GordonH »

So passing lanes are now called Anti frustration lanes, thats a good one. lol

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... ear-Oliver
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
twobits
Guru

Re: Name Change, lol

Post by twobits »

Anyone who drives that section of hwy 97 from OK Falls to Osoyoos with any frequency gets it completely. It is the only 80 kph Hwy I know of where traffic is consistently 10 kph below the posted limit rather than 10 kph above. It's a bit bizarre actually given the hwy route is good and not some twisting snake of asphalt for the most part.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I suspect when drivers use anti-frustration lanes as just regular lane, then passing happens to the right side. Then that becomes new anti-frustration lane.

I just got chuckle out of headline twobits.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

GordonH wrote:I suspect when drivers use anti-frustration lanes as just regular lane, then passing happens to the right side. Then that becomes new anti-frustration lane.

I just got chuckle out of headline twobits.

I know, so did I.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

twobits wrote:Anyone who drives that section of hwy 97 from OK Falls to Osoyoos with any frequency gets it completely. It is the only 80 kph Hwy I know of where traffic is consistently 10 kph below the posted limit rather than 10 kph above. It's a bit bizarre actually given the hwy route is good and not some twisting snake of asphalt for the most part.

So true. Should be a sign at Osoyoos: Welcome to the Slowkanogan.
GordonH wrote:I suspect when drivers use anti-frustration lanes as just regular lane, then passing happens to the right side. Then that becomes new anti-frustration lane.

And they'll probably do what most slow drivers do when they hit double lanes: speed up. Then, when the anti-frustration lane ends, they'll slow down again.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
tootall23
Fledgling

Post by tootall23 »

Most times you will follow a slow driver until the 4 lane section, then they speed up and you either stay behind or like most people speed up to 110 to pass. Nice spot to get a speeding ticket. I like to average 90 k/hr in the 80 zone as this will get you past most speed traps. Want to ease frustration- raise the speed limit to 90 k/hr.
3+141592

Post by 3+141592 »

You forgot what ICBC has tried to teach us for ages: SPEED KILLS.

This is of course way over simplified as anyone who has traveled to Germany knows that if you
drive with discipline (STAY in the rightmost lane, ADAPT your speed to traffic/driving conditions,
SIGNAL your intentions at all times, etc.), you can actually have highways with NO preset speed
limits (unless the electronic signs show otherwise). In BC, we could easily drive 25% faster than the
currently posted speed limits with improved driving habits. Another interesting tidbit: I believe that
BC speed limits are still set by police - bit of a conflict of interest in my view. In many other jurisdictions,
it is set by traffic engineers along with a proper traffic survey.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

3+141592 wrote: I believe that
BC speed limits are still set by police - bit of a conflict of interest in my view. In many other jurisdictions,
it is set by traffic engineers along with a proper traffic survey.

Here the speed limit is set by the senior citizen driving 15-20 km under the posted limit because he thinks no one needs to go any faster than that.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

driveangry wrote:Here the speed limit is set by the senior citizen driving 15-20 km under the posted limit because he thinks no one needs to go any faster than that.

Exactly. One elderly woman told me, "I'm a much safer driver now, because I'm never in a hurry." Couldn't convince her that it wasn't a good idea to make everyone else slow down, too.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Have some friends who used to live in Oroville. They liked to come up to Kelowna, but the highway got a bit much for them, so they eventually took weekend trips to Spokane instead (and we wonder why American visits are down).
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Wasn't there something on the TV news or newspaper a couple of years ago about american tourists calling our highways suicidal highways ???
acbarry

Post by acbarry »

I'm not originally from here and I agree, yes, the highways are crazy here.
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

driveangry wrote:Wasn't there something on the TV news or newspaper a couple of years ago about american tourists calling our highways suicidal highways ???

The highways are great, it's the drivers lol. Seriously though, the highways are pretty darn good, drivers just need to drive according to road conditions and be considerate to others, this includes staying off the highway if you are a slow poke.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

dreamon wrote:
The highways are great, it's the drivers lol. Seriously though, the highways are pretty darn good, drivers just need to drive according to road conditions and be considerate to others, this includes staying off the highway if you are a slow poke.

I disagree.

Average speed from the border to Armstrong = 75.75 km/h
Average speed from Brewster, Washington (start of the Okanogan) to the border = 88.46 km/h
In other words, you can drive almost 20% faster in the USA on average.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Glacier wrote: I disagree.

Average speed from the border to Armstrong = 75.75 km/h
Average speed from Brewster, Washington (start of the Okanogan) to the border = 88.46 km/h
In other words, you can drive almost 20% faster in the USA on average.

That's because they don't require hwy traffic to slow down for every little intersection that has a gas station and a few homes nearby. Trout Creek kills me. Four lanes with a center turning/merging lane to boot and we have to slow to 60 kph!! Why? If there was ever a section of hwy built specifically to be a speed trap, this is it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”