Osoyoos RCMP Under Fire

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Osoyoos RCMP Under Fire

Post by Treblehook »

The RCMP in BC has many cars equipped with video cameras and such has been the case for a number of years. I am not sure how the audio works on it. Most people know that there are video cameras installed in some [not all] patrol cars. Remember the video of the guy running away from the police in Kelowna following a robbery and the video shows him shooting back at the police? Google it!!!
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

yeah, i did the google thing.
the video you mention, a meteor in alberta, and a burning vehicle also in alberta, dominate the results.
it seems to be a very rare thing these videos.
but again treblehook, where did you hear it was a dashcam? i can't find evidence of the rcmp saying as much.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Well sir, I'm very pleased to report that there is a video of this incident. The video was taken from the police car and includes audio of the entire interaction between you and the police officer. I have just watched the video and observed a very calm and professional member of the RCMP doing his job. The RCMP has proudly served the people of Osoyoos for a very long time and I fear your one sided article could adversely, and incorrectly, impact their view of their local RCMP. Thus, I suggest that we post this video on-line so the good people of Osoyoos and others can make their own determination of what occurred. This is the type of transparency British Columbians expect from the RCMP.

The above is a quote from Supt. Ray Bernoties when he responded to the Editor of the Osoyoos Times very public criticism of the RCMP officer who checked the newspaper man for drinking and driving. Bernoties does not refer to the camera in the police car as being a dash cam.... [they are not dash cams, but attached to the rearview mirror I believe]. You didn't go very far in your google search or you would have found the raw video I referred to that was captured following the Kelowna pawn shop armed robbery when the suspect was running down the alley shooting back at the police. Castanet had an article in 2010 discussing the introduction of in car videos in police vehicles where it was suggested that the cost per car would be $7000.00. Research this stuff yourself.. it is all there.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

a little more info from a local source...

Lawsuits bring more questions about Osoyoos RCMP

NEWS FOR YOU News For You - Based on your reading preferences, these stories have been suggested for you.
Lawsuits bring more questions about Osoyoos RCMP

By Kristi Patton - Penticton Western News
Published: November 26, 2013 5:00 PM
Updated: November 26, 2013 5:20 PM
A couple claim they “fled” Osoyoos because of the improper conduct of RCMP and actions of residents that have lead them to file a civil lawsuit.

“It involves conspiracy, the stalking of a minor, an incident of phone tapping,” said Sharon Laybourne. “We desperately fled that town and had to sell our house at a bargain basement price. We fled Osoyoos and I think that is what happened to some others.”

Sharon and her husband, Roy, said they felt compelled to come forward after seeing stories in the Penticton Western News about other Osoyoos residents alleging unfair treatment from RCMP in the area.

“A lawyer we talked to said this is a mushroom cloud in the area,” said Sharon.

In recent weeks, RCMP have been under scrutiny from members of the public. Former Osoyoos resident Stephen Condon said he also left Osoyoos because of what he alleges was unjust treatment from RCMP after he was fingered in a car theft, that belonged to Const. Amit Goyal. That officer is currently suspended with pay.

In court, lawyer Don Skogstad said he will be calling on evidence from Fiona Munro to assist in a case against his client Chester Bryant who claims his arresting officer in Osoyoos used unnecessary force.

Skogstad told the court in October that Munro would be called based on “similar fact” evidence in that she claims to also have received injuries after receiving rough treatment from the same RCMP officer in Osoyoos.

Married RCMP officers, Jason and Sasha MacLean, filed a civil lawsuit in September 2010 against the attorney general of Canada, minister of public safety and officers Kurt Lozinski, Kevin Schur and Michael Field, who all were in supervisory positions. They claim those officers “adopted a manner of dealing with the plaintiffs which was harassing and intended to be so, and/or was intimidating.”

The MacLeans claim the defendants used intimidation to influence them to work when Sasha was ill while pregnant and later when both of the MacLean’s were injured. In a meeting with one of the supervisors, Sasha alleges she was told the couple were no longer welcome at the detachment and they should make efforts to leave.

The MacLeans allege they were directed by supervisors to do things contrary to policies when coming back to work which they allege lead to confrontations with the defendants and unfounded investigations upon them that now affect their career paths.

The defendants’ response to civil claim states they were acting on their duties and that Jason was insubordinate and acted in an aggressive manner regarding a meeting with Sasha that resulted in his superior officer asking for the MacLeans to relinquish their firearms and detachment keys. Their statement claims a 2008 complaint by the plaintiffs on workplace policy did not support a finding of harassment by RCMP E division.

The Laybournes filed an 80-page document in Supreme Court in January of 2012 against the attorney general of B.C., minister of public safety and solicitor general, a number of Osoyoos RCMP officers including Lozinski, the Town of Osoyoos, Good Shepherd Christian School, David Stuart Hillson and others. Their lawyer, Diego Solimano, said they are still in the document discovery phase in the proceedings.

The Laybournes believe their alleged mist-treatment by RCMP stems from complaints they made to the Town of Osoyoos against Good Shepherd School breaking bylaws. The couple lived across the street from the school and when the town did nothing about it they raised their concerns with the school who then turned around and published the complaints in a newsletter circulated to parents and students.

The Laybournes claim patrons of the school then terrorized them by creating blockades in front of their driveway, shouting religious slurs towards them and caused property damage. Sharon said it escalated in particular with one maintenance worker at the school, David Hillson, who they claim videotaped their home for hours, made rude gestures, stalked them around town and made false accusations to RCMP about them.

On the advice of the RCMP, Sharon said they documented the incidents using surveillance cameras at their home and began reporting them to Mounties. She claims that on Jan. 20, 2010 she was called by Cpl. Ken Harrington to attend the detachment. The couple assumed it was to provide more information about Hillson.

Instead, they were arrested, charged with criminal harassment and let go on a promise to appear that was never signed by any officer.

The Laybournes claim RCMP issued a press release about the couple facing criminal harassment charges when they did not, and it also contained a number of factual errors and misleading statements.

Sharon said she was arrested for dangerous driving and put into a cell for over seven hours where she was belittled and treated unfair by RCMP. She was released after charged with driving with undue care and attention.

The Laybournes say harassment by RCMP and Hillson become so grievous that they felt “imprisoned in Osoyoos.” No longer feeling safe in their community, they fled.

David Hillson who was contacted by the Penticton Western News, claimed no knowledge of the civil lawsuit, then seconds later said he wished to provide no comment.

http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/233549131.html
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

These issues are absolutely shocking!
I wonder how much (if any) will be swept under the table?
Is this the kind of world we are living in today?
WOW!
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

The operative word throughout these proceedings is "claim". None of the "claims" have been heard/tested, so I don't know how anyone can come to any conclusion as to the veracity of the allegations. The simple answer is one can only jump to conclusions at this stage of the game.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

I have deep respect for the job Officers do for the public good. I know one Officer's family who works out of this detachment and they are fantastic hard working people in this community.

A heavy-handed detachment...maybe so.

I've had 2 minor episodes with the Osoyoos Police and both left me a little miffed and also perplexed. I have been a driver for almost 30 years and I've never been stopped by police EVER until I moved to Osoyoos 2 years ago.

Episode#1: Approximately 1.5 years ago I was stopped for some kind of Roadstop-Check. I believe the Officer was Amit Goyal but truthfully I can't prove it. The Road-Check was curiously mid-day, middle of the week, not during any peak time for alcohol consumption. My passenger was my youngest child who was 3 and buckled in correctly as was I. I provided current licencing, registration and insurance upon being asked. The lineup of cars was quite long, it took me 10+ minutes to get to the front of the line. Of course I was late picking up my young but school age child who had an early dismissal that day. I don't know really why they were stopping and talking to everyone they stopped at some length. It wasn't a quick seat-belt check and move-along type situation. It wasn't a quick look at your tags to check for current status. It really did seem to be a bit of a fishing expedition. Again it also wasn't a time one would consider a peak alcohol consumption time as it was before noon. I hardly fit the profile of one needing to be stopped (middle class looking Mother with a small child) nor it seemed was anyone else in the lineup (who at this time of the day were older folks). The Officer quite aggressively questioned me about where I was going and why, I found this a bit unusual but answered his questions politely. He then started to question me even more aggressively about a 3 inch crack in my windshield that was nowhere near my field of vision. The crack was pretty recent when a rock chip ding cracked with the sudden cold snap and I turned on my heat full blast when warming up my car. I planned to get it fixed soon but honestly it was pretty small and high up on the windshield on the passenger side so that it never was bothersome. I was getting a little "hot" because I was already late and I felt the stop was a fishing expedition. I told Officer Goyal (again I am pretty sure it was him) that I would be happy to discuss my windshield with him in 10 minutes down at the detachment but that I must be let go as I had a small child waiting. He sighed deeply and waived me through, but he was shaking his head at me and seemed truly off-side given the situation. I did feel that he was looking for a reason to ticket someone for something and it was an intrusive stop at a time that really wasn't productive for stopping people at random and questioning them so thoroughly.

Episode#2: I left a pub with my husband after having dinner one night. We had watched a UFC fight and he drank nothing more than a Coke. I had one glass of wine (yes just one) with a full meal. We ended the meal with a cup of coffee. When we left and drove down Main Street I noticed a police car behind us. I thought nothing of it assuming they were just driving around patrolling. My husband stopped behind the tire shop where we had our other vehicle parked as we were getting our tires changed over for the winter. It was quite dark on the side street where the car was parked. I got out of his vehicle and into mine and started the car and let it warm up for about a minute as it was colder outside. I put the car into reverse to back out into the street to go home. The second I switched the car into "drive" I got hit from behind with the headlights of a police car that had been dark and seemingly watching me. The car followed me down the street, onto the next street where I was taking the route back on to Main Street to go home. It seemed like the Officers were going to consider pulling me over or were following me. I assume they were considering if I was intoxicated although I was 100% confident I would maybe not even have registered alcohol as it had been several hours since I had had one glass of wine and a full dinner on top of that. They pursued me for about a block and a 1/2 and then drove off. I have never had anything like this happen to me before ever. I have lived in both small towns, and bigger urban centres. Nothing like this experience in almost 30 years of driving.

I have witnessed another check stop in town although I was on the other side of the street at the time and not affected. The officer was standing literally in the middle of the street on a weekday around the corner from a turn drivers must make onto the later part of Main Street to go to the other side of town. Again this wasn't during a peak time for alcohol consumption, but they were looking for something, presumably seat belts. This was a little strange, it seemed aggressive and they were looking for offenders instead of really looking for dangerous situations where they were needed. Nothing criminal and I believe we should be wearing seat-belts, but it was mid-morning and not during a time where one would expect to find offenders.

So, creepy and a little weird...well yes. Criminal...obviously not. Intimidating...yes - a little bit to be honest. Having no real reason to fear the police I appreciate them. But I'd be lying if I didn't say the Osoyoos Police seem to have an overly big presence in this town.

Hopefully looking at this detachment will shed some light into their aggressive tactics.
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:please cite your source treblehook. you say it was a 'dashcam', i have never heard this before. do all rcmp have dashcams in the south okanagan? i've never known rcmp to have them at all.

The "dashcam" that you refer to is in fact a camera mounted on the upper portion of the windshield generally to the right of the rear view mirror. The camera is activated as soon as the emergency equipment is activated.

These cameras are an invaluable tool to the police, as well as to the public if they feel they have been wronged.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

bernoties does not use the term 'dashcam' in his description.
bernoties does claim that full audio is there as well.
in the dashcam video showing the meteor the rcmp released, no audio from outside the cab is present, cars driving by, the officer interacting with the vehicle in front, or that vehicles engine.
i found a rcmp source stating in 2010 'about 80%' of cruisers in alberta had dashcams, no info on bc.
it is my experience and as well my findings, that very few rcmp vehicles in bc have dashcams, and it is very, very rare to see any footage from them.
in the many instances i have researched involving the rcmp in bc, i have never found evidence that a dashcam was utilized.
it seems very strange to me that the editor's traffic stop was video and audio recorded.
the former rcmp couple that fled osoyoos and brought suit against members of the rcmp in 2010, and the man that claims a member of the rcmp framed him for automobile theft has fled town, and the rcmp member accused of doing the framing has assumedly fled town and is in hiding, and this latest couple bringing suit against the rcmp members and associates have fled town, seem to me to mean there may be some serious threat or danger in osoyoos.
T.Tsarnaev
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#51906

Corporal Dan Moskaluk says 'cop cams' will be going in north, central and south Okanagan Traffic Services cruisers as well as some Integrated Road Service Unit vehicles.

I assume they've been installed by this time.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

that story, from january 2010, says the cameras should be in by march of that same year.
this story, about a shooting that occured in march of 2011 had numerous rcmp cruisers attending when the officer in one of the cruisers let off 2 full clips, 30 rounds, striking the man in the truck next to him 17 times, none of the cruisers seemingly had dashcams, but the scene was documented by a member that had his own dashcam hooked up. it was in surrey.
inquests repeatedly call for dashcams in bc, because inevitably they have never been there, and still not there to my knowledge.

RCMP cars should have dashboard cameras, inquest jury says
BRIAN PLATT
VANCOUVER — The Globe and Mail
Published Wednesday, Jun. 26 2013

The jury for the coroner’s inquest into Adam Purdie’s death has recommended that all B.C. RCMP vehicles have dashboard video cameras installed.

The jury has also recommended that RCMP officers making traffic stops should not approach offending vehicles until all information attached to the licence plate has been established.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/bri ... e12835101/

here is the video the rcmp member took.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lirs396cOXA
T.Tsarnaev
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

Most IRSU and TS (formerly HP) PCs have cameras now.

They are expensive and time consuming to install. It is not as though all PCs get them installed at the same time. Patience, they are coming. No one is going to argue the need for them, the need is there.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:culture of fear.
it seems like folks in the south okanagan, including news professionals and rcmp members are afraid of or have been afraid of the rcmp.
in the case of the rcmp stop of the editor, they claim to have recorded it. that is not a common practice as far as i am aware.

Yes it is. Almost all RCMP traffic members in BC have In Car video now that turns on automatically when their emergency lights are activated.

The RCMP offered to release the video to the public but in order to do so they required the permission of that particular member of the media. He chose to write a retraction in his paper instead.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Treblehook wrote:The manner in which this is being reported by Castanet is disgusting!!! I guess the assumption is, we are all idiots. Way to go on the sensationalism. Opening up the video interview with footage of the Vancouver Airport tasering event. Unbelievable!!!

As soon as I began reading Ms. Weld's article I noted this:

Stories like those of Robert Dziekański, Paul Boyd, and Buddy Tavares right here in the Okanagan, all may ring a bell, and all are cases that include police brutality.

The Paul Boyd incident was not related to the RCMP. She should really learn to check her facts. Even a little.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

For what it's worth...

The Office of Investigative Standards and Practices for the RCMP did review the VPD investigation for thoroughness and impartiality. VPD submitted the initial charge assessment report to the Criminal Justice Branch after the RCMP review was complete.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...

Return to “Central Okanagan”