Osoyoos RCMP Under Fire

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Osoyoos RCMP Under Fire

Post by Treblehook »

The manner in which this is being reported by Castanet is disgusting!!! I guess the assumption is, we are all idiots. Way to go on the sensationalism. Opening up the video interview with footage of the Vancouver Airport tasering event. Unbelievable!!!
driveangry
Übergod

Re: Osoyoos RCMP Under Fire

Post by driveangry »

I disagree. The video starts out showing questionable acts by the RCMP. That is what the story is about.

Unless you're one of the RCMP members in question, then I can see your point.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

I guess you think that anyone who has an opinion that does not support this vulgar [sensationalism] in reporting must be a member of the RCMP. Pretty narrow minded I would say! No, I am not a member of RCMP, but as an objective minded person, I do do not need the images from the Vancouver tasering incident to assist me in assessing the story being presented today.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

from what i can see, there seems to be a bit of a culture of fear in the south okanagan.

how common is it for the rcmp in osoyoos to video record their traffic stops?

i know many areas of bc would welcome this service if the rcmp would provide it universally.

"As the Editor of a local newspaper, your readers must feel it important to know that when you report something in your paper, it is factual. I imagine your credibility and that of the Osoyoos Times relies heavily on that.

Well sir, I'm very pleased to report that there is a video of this incident. The video was taken from the police car and includes audio of the entire interaction between you and the police officer. I have just watched the video and observed a very calm and professional member of the RCMP doing his job. The RCMP has proudly served the people of Osoyoos for a very long time and I fear your one sided article could adversely, and incorrectly, impact their view of their local RCMP. Thus, I suggest that we post this video on-line so the good people of Osoyoos and others can make their own determination of what occurred. This is the type of transparency British Columbians expect from the RCMP."

http://bc.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.actio ... ntId=24119
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Treblehook wrote:I guess you think that anyone who has an opinion that does not support this vulgar [sensationalism] in reporting must be a member of the RCMP. Pretty narrow minded I would say! No, I am not a member of RCMP, but as an objective minded person, I do do not need the images from the Vancouver tasering incident to assist me in assessing the story being presented today.

WOW !!! That's quite the assumption on your part. YOU have NO idea what I'm thinking and to assume that shows who is narrow minded.

You started a thread and gave your opinion. I disagreed with it with no personal attacks. I did not find the manner in which this story is being reported as disgusting or sensationalized.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:from what i can see, there seems to be a bit of a culture of fear in the south okanagan.

how common is it for the rcmp in osoyoos to video record their traffic stops?

i know many areas of bc would welcome this service if the rcmp would provide it universally.

"As the Editor of a local newspaper, your readers must feel it important to know that when you report something in your paper, it is factual. I imagine your credibility and that of the Osoyoos Times relies heavily on that.

Well sir, I'm very pleased to report that there is a video of this incident. The video was taken from the police car and includes audio of the entire interaction between you and the police officer. I have just watched the video and observed a very calm and professional member of the RCMP doing his job. The RCMP has proudly served the people of Osoyoos for a very long time and I fear your one sided article could adversely, and incorrectly, impact their view of their local RCMP. Thus, I suggest that we post this video on-line so the good people of Osoyoos and others can make their own determination of what occurred. This is the type of transparency British Columbians expect from the RCMP."

http://bc.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.actio ... ntId=24119

So where is the video ????
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

OK, So what am I missing here ??? What does this have to do with the original post ???
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Don't know.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

That was a whole 'nuther incident. I remember that one. I am sure you do, too, Fancy. We had a thread about it here.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

culture of fear.
it seems like folks in the south okanagan, including news professionals and rcmp members are afraid of or have been afraid of the rcmp.
in the case of the rcmp stop of the editor, they claim to have recorded it. that is not a common practice as far as i am aware.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:culture of fear.
it seems like folks in the south okanagan, including news professionals and rcmp members are afraid of or have been afraid of the rcmp. in the case of the rcmp stop of the editor, they claim to have recorded it. that is not a common practice as far as i am aware.
I think being fearful of the RCMP is becoming more a common place practice, especially in more rural areas.
Heck its not just local its across the nation RCMP need better supervision. Its a massive leadership issue. The organization is about to become defunct. They cant behave within their own ranks and with each other how can we expect them to conduct themselves within society?
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/tag/rcmp-sexual-harassment

Ive been saying it for a long time now, but its time to abolish the RCMP from the Okanagan. We'd be better off with our own police force.

Treblehook wrote:I guess you think that anyone who has an opinion that does not support this vulgar [sensationalism] in reporting must be a member of the RCMP. Pretty narrow minded I would say! No, I am not a member of RCMP, but as an objective minded person, I do do not need the images from the Vancouver tazering incident to assist me in assessing the story being presented today.
really??!!! you mean when showing Modus operandi it makes perfect sense. When the reporter is questioning the fullness and effectiveness of the RCMP as an organization, it makes complete sense. Frankly it wasn't until we the general public witnessed the full distortion of the Robert Dziekański Taser incident we simply didn't as a society question RCMP situations. Those videos were only a handful of cases we saw, they excluded the assault charge from the Summerland RCMP officer, or the growing requests for inquiries into the wrongful deaths of folks in RCMP custody.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

so i was trying to figure out just how common it is for the rcmp in osoyoos to audio and video record their traffic stops, and i came across some interesting info.

in a forum like this, on another site, some people discuss the editor's story.

one of the participants claims to be a crown prosecutor, and others to be members of police forces including the rcmp.

none of them question, or seem the least bit surprised that the stop was recorded.

are we being recorded by the rcmp and not being told? how much 'stalking' are the rcmp doing in osoyoos?

Re: BC RCMP's response to the editor of the Osoyoos Times
Postby PPSC Lawyer » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:51 pm

Very nice response from the BC RCMP. Very respectful but firm.

And Lacey certainly took his time, but to give him some small amount of credit for giving a complete retraction and apology. I expected him to stick to his guns until the end.
No longer with PPSC, but still 100% Crown Prosecutor.
PPSC Lawyer
Grand Poobah

he even credits the rcmp. it seems like he knows it is 'normal' to record.

http://forums.blueline.ca/viewtopic.php ... 5&start=30
T.Tsarnaev
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

That old case where the RCMP had a dash cam video of the stop of the newspaper guy; and, the video recording of the Vancouver Airport incident, have nothing to do with the story being reported in Castanet today. They are not related incidents. None of the accusations made by the people in today's Castanet story have been proven yet... but that doesn't matter does it?
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

please cite your source treblehook. you say it was a 'dashcam', i have never heard this before. do all rcmp have dashcams in the south okanagan? i've never known rcmp to have them at all.
T.Tsarnaev

Return to “Central Okanagan”