Where are the swans?

Captain77
Fledgling

Where are the swans?

Post by Captain77 »

I wonder if anyone has seen the white swans that normally hang out between Penticton and Trout Creek at this time of year. I have seen one, but where are all the rest?
southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Where are the swans?

Post by southy »

Not sure Captain ... but I did see a partridge in a pear tree :)
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

There was a program on TV a year or two ago about the decline in swans. They said it has to do with lead poisoning from old shot gun pellets that the birds are ingesting in their food source. Not sure if I buy into it yet. But I guess it's possible.
Captain77
Fledgling

Post by Captain77 »

Southy wrote: Not sure Captain ... but I did see a partridge in a pear tree :)

Southy, I'm pretty sure those were French Hens.

And driveangry, I recall last year there were at least a dozen. Pretty drastic decline, unless they found a new place to winter.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Thanks Captain .. someone you might want to talk to is Dick Cannings he would probably know whats going with them. A very knowledgable individual. Good luck.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Drive further South to Vaseaux Lake Prov. Park and take the raised wooden sidewalk to the wooden blind. You might see swans there.

As for declining populations, it's a known fact that many bird populations of every type are declining.

Let's see, pollution, loss of habitat, loss of quiet at habitat that used to be inaccessible before every utility vehicle known to mankind became financially accessible to mankind, loss of bird corridors, wind farms killing thousands of birds, development in the South Americas destroying Southern wintering lands/swamps/ponds etc. and OOOH, yes, loss of food sources due to herbicides and pesticides.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

People are parasites.

:-(
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Have you ever heard of how Ralph "Crusoe of Lonesome Lake" Edwards singled handedly saved the Trumpeter swan from extinction? It's a great story.

As far as I know their population is fairly good in BC. The Okanagan is right no the edge of the wintering grounds, so I suspect that the early cold snap has sent them south for the time being.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Do they actually winter there? I always thought is was just a rest stop on their way south?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
mug48

Post by mug48 »

There are about 6 to 8 swans hanging out just before Heritage Hills along Eastside Road.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

fluffy wrote:Do they actually winter there? I always thought is was just a rest stop on their way south?

They winter in the Okanagan valley most winters as far as I can tell, though I think they spend most of their time on Vaseaux Lake. Today there is a healthy population, but in the 1930s there were less 100 birds left in the world after over-hunting for their feathers as well as lead poisoning from the buckshot had pushed them to the brink of extinction. This is one reason why hunters are no longer allowed to use lead.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Saving-Trumpete ... esome-Lake
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

I was kind of wondering that too.

Here's a pic from a couple years back. These three were regulars, but this year I only saw one and it only hung out for a day.

swans-00115.jpg

I've only been here a few years, so help me out... where can I find a partridge, or a pear tree, in Penticton? Are they hidden behind the vineyards somewhere?
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

I have a Quail in a pear tree here, does that count.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

How about 20 quail in a spreading juniper?

Wouldn't mind knowing if there are some Swans around. Would love to get some photo's.
A few years ago I saw some at the Michaelbrook Marsh but by the time I got back with my camera they were gone.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Captain77
Fledgling

Post by Captain77 »

Mug48 Glad to hear there are some swans hanging out on Eastside Road near Heritage Hills. Thanks for all the information everyone.

Return to “Central Okanagan”