Expensive photograph

kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Expensive photograph

Post by kgcayenne »

If I were an amateur photographer in Penticton, it would be good practice by offering free mini-sessions to families who can otherwise not afford the cost of professional photography. If it were me, the family would only have to pay for the print sans markup, I would also do LR processing and give them digital files. That's just me though, and I'm not quite in the skill-range of a photographer, but if I were...
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I am an amateur as well but it's surprising some of the good shots we can get.
One of the big advantages of digital over film is that it doesn't cost you any more to take a lot of pictures.
Usually at least one turns out!
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Very true, Bsuds. Have you experimented with editing software?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I use Photoshop Elements a lot to adjust photos and play with some of the different options as well.

So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Best zit cover ups ever.

I mess around in Lighroom, my husband thinks some of my landscape/sky messarounds look fake, and I say "That's the whole idea sweetie!"

I would like to experiement with doing grad shots, but don't know where to begin or how not to step on real photographers' toes.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I Have heard Lightroom is quite good but just can't justify the cost (to the Mrs)
I'm hoping Santa is bringing me a newer version of Elements for Christmas.

Anyway we've derailed this thread enough. Maybe I'll start one on this subject.
lorivanessa

Post by lorivanessa »

I am a photographer and I didn't read ALL of the comments on the post, but I want to add that there is a massive difference between the quality of Wal Mart prints and those of a photographers printing company. This may not be evident if you've only ever ordered prints from Wal Mart, but I will explain a few things.

1. Wal Marts ink has much less pigment. This means the colors aren't as vibrant. They are dull. This is the equivalent of painting with dollar store paints. They have absolutely no pigment and you will get a dull painting from them.

2. The way that Wal Mart prints their photographs is using larger 'dots' than a professional printer so when you are printing larger scale prints the quality gets crappier.

3. Your photographer gives you JPEGS because your computer open them. Photographers use RAW, TIFF or PNGS. These other file types retain much more information that a JPEG and your photographer can have your images printed from these file types which will make them a much higher quality than a Wal Mart Print.

4. When I say Wal Mart, I am also referring to London Drugs, Shoppers Drug Mart, Target and any other big box chain that happens to have a photo printing area. If you want to see the difference, order one from your photographer, and the same one from one of these places and compare side-by-side. Here's some reviews from people with a keen eye: http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/on ... 92crx.aspx

5. I get the money aspect so when clients are printing 500 prints for a photo album I say, "so what." BUT if they are hanging these prints in large or small scale on their walls, it reflects poorly on my quality of work as a photographer and I would rather them use a quality printer. Not even necessarily ordered from me, but just get them printed so that they can accurately reflect my work.

Ok... that's all! Heh :)

www.loribrownphotography.com
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Bsuds wrote:I use Photoshop Elements a lot to adjust photos and play with some of the different options as well.

Bsuds wait a sec. .... this photo is on the wrong thread. Should be on People and Their Pets :)
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So true, we tend to look like our pets.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Suds is the poodle in the middle.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

The one second from the right doesn't look like it was altered at all!
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We considered having him altered but he put up a fuss about it and wouldn't get in the car to go to the Vet.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Southy ...

The one on the end only allowed you to photograph her good side? Its amazing how they trained their pets to keep standing up like that for the time it took to make the picture.

Return to “Central Okanagan”