Icy roads and 4WD

Daspoot
Übergod

Re: Icy roads and 4WD

Post by Daspoot »

Rather than nit-pick the points I disagree about in your last post, I'll just tip my hat and wish you a Merry Xmas. Tis' the season after all, love and goodwill towards our fellow man.

I will say this, Non-ABS RWD absolutely rules the parking lots for doughnuts, Rockfords and endless combinations of such. I wish everyone a large snow-covered parking lot with no lamp posts for high-revving fun, go ahead, you'll be the better driver for it afterwards as it's best to be able to feel exactly when your wheels break loose and learn counter steering and exactly what a quick tap of the brakes will do for and against you in all situations.

HOHOHO....VarroooooOOooommmm
On a different forum
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Daspoot wrote:The only advantage most 4x4's have is that many have longer wheel bases than a car. Wheelbase is king for slippery roads like highways.

Anybody else want to disconnect their ABS? ABS is for people who don't know how to drive, and in some situations (like loose gravel etc. and other slippery surfaces) can actually lengthen stopping distances over a skid up to 50%.

On very slippery surfaces, such as ice, ABS is worse since it pretty much automatically disengages the breaks as soon as the pedal is pushed, leaving you with, essentially, nothing. Elsewhere, they greatly reduce emergency breaking distance.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Daspoot wrote:Rather than nit-pick the points I disagree about in your last post, I'll just tip my hat and wish you a Merry Xmas. Tis' the season after all, love and goodwill towards our fellow man.

I will say this, Non-ABS RWD absolutely rules the parking lots for doughnuts, Rockfords and endless combinations of such. I wish everyone a large snow-covered parking lot with no lamp posts for high-revving fun, go ahead, you'll be the better driver for it afterwards as it's best to be able to feel exactly when your wheels break loose and learn counter steering and exactly what a quick tap of the brakes will do for and against you in all situations.

HOHOHO....VarroooooOOooommmm

It's about the best way to learn skid control and what you can and can't do on slippery roads.

Don't do anywhere near a Timmies or one of "Them" will come out and impound your car.
Black Dogs Matter

Return to “Central Okanagan”