Icy roads and 4WD

Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Icy roads and 4WD

Post by Bunnyhop »

I have never driven a 4WD vehicle and admittedly know nothing about how it works. I thought though (and could be wrong about this), that engaging all 4 wheels gave the vehicle better traction in snow? This young girl put her vehicle into 4WD on a bare and icy road - should that have helped with traction? http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... -in-Oliver
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Icy roads and 4WD

Post by Bsuds »

It helps you go but no help stopping or steering. The change while moving may have caused her to lose traction and slide into the oncoming traffic.
I would say inexperienced driver error caused this one.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

When I operate a four wheeled drive vehicle I don't like having it in four wheel drive on "possibly slippery roads". Once I'm in the heavy stuff and need the traction to make it through, I do. The reason is that when in four wheel drive you can GO very well, you don't slip near as much when accelerating, giving you a false sense of how much traction you have. It's when you reach a curve or apply the brakes you then find out how slippery it really is and you are in trouble that four wheel drive won't get you out of.

Ask any ICBC estimator about the percentage of four wheel drive vehicles that are wrecked in snowy weather.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

my5cents wrote:
Ask any ICBC estimator about the percentage of four wheel drive vehicles that are wrecked in snowy weather.

Just drive the Coke on a snowy day and see them in the ditch.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Those who don't appreciate the short comings of 4 X 4, would likely be surprised at the inordinate number that are involved in weather related crashes, thinking "they are better in the snow and on icy roads".

The answer is, they are "better" with the "GO" traction, but just exactly the same as any other vehicle on the stopping traction. When you are merrily driving along in a 4 X 4 accelerating on slippery roads and not slipping you get a false sense of how much traction you have.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Can you actually switch into 4WD while driving down the highway? When I had a truck, I'd always pull over and switch to neutral before engaging 4WD.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

It's been a while since you had to manually lock the hubs. Going into 4 low requires you stop however.

It sounds like human error to me, either hit brakes or swerved as she switched into 4x4. Or possibly shifted into 4 low by accident, that would probably lock things up. Most important thing with pickups is weight in box. Especially Chevy which I believe has approximately 70% of its weight over the front axel.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Captain Awesome wrote:Can you actually switch into 4WD while driving down the highway? When I had a truck, I'd always pull over and switch to neutral before engaging 4WD.

It depends on the vehicle. My 4 Runner has on the fly 4WD so I can engage it when needed. I believe it is not recommended to switch it on or off at higher speeds though.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote:Just drive the Coke on a snowy day and see them in the ditch.

Exactly every year I see a number of both 4x4 & AWD vehicles in the ditch, meanwhile I just putt along in my little front wheel drive.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Unless the snow is deep front wheel drives are preferred over 4x4's. Especially front wheel drive with traction control and studded tires. Like said early, most 4x4 don't have an equal weight distribution like cars. I felt far more in control with my old civic than any 4x4 I've owned since.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Poindexter wrote:I felt far more in control with my old civic than any 4x4 I've owned since.

I had the same experience--my Civic wanted to stay on the road. The 4x4s I drove never handled as well.

Front wheel drive with really good winter tires. I love my Nokian Hakkapeliittas (and not just because of the weird noises I get to make when I'm trying to pronounce Hakkapeliitta). I always had studded tires when I lived up north, but I actually think my Hakkapeliittas give you much better traction in icy conditions. I've had them on three different cars now; all of them stick to the pavement quite nicely.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Bleach
Fledgling

Post by Bleach »

I like my truck, but I hate driving it in the winter. If I had space I would have my truck and a car with good winters. I found with my truck if there is 1" or more clean snow on the road, or it's like a sheet of ice. I will put it in 4x4 and drive a little slower. (like 10KM under the speed limit.) I never have a problem getting going, but stopping that is a different ball game.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

To the OP :

I bet 4x4 had nothing to do with it , I think she was distracted while trying to switch into 4x4 mode and lost control . Thats my take on the story , the way its presented.
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

That's how I read it too.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

4wheel drive will outperform 2 wheel drive front wheel drive or rear hands down don't matter if its pickup or suv they are all shift on the fly since the seventys maybe earlier they all still stop the same tho but abs is a major benefit now days

Return to “Central Okanagan”