Icy roads and 4WD

Tony
Übergod

Re: Icy roads and 4WD

Post by Tony »

As long as you drive to the conditions of the road, you'll be fine in either 4 or 2 wheel drive. The beauty of 4 wheel drive is it does help you retain some control - as long as you're driving, as mentioned, to the conditions. It doesn't make you invincible, like the people who end up in the ditch all think. I've probably stopped 1/2 dozen times on 4X4's in the ditch and the common saying is "I was just doing the speed limit". Duh......
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

Bunnyhop wrote:I have never driven a 4WD vehicle and admittedly know nothing about how it works. I thought though (and could be wrong about this), that engaging all 4 wheels gave the vehicle better traction in snow? This young girl put her vehicle into 4WD on a bare and icy road - should that have helped with traction? http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... -in-Oliver

big problem is SHE has to keep her eyes on the ROAD........driving with undue care and attention I would say??
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

No, driving too fast for conditions.

LTD wrote:4wheel drive will outperform 2 wheel drive front wheel drive or rear hands down don't matter if its pickup or suv they are all shift on the fly since the seventys maybe earlier they all still stop the same tho but abs is a major benefit now days

The problem with 4 X 4 "outperforming" (meaning outperforming in acceleration, not in braking or handling curves) if you think you have better traction than you do, when you brake or go into a curve too fast it's too late.

I refrain from using 4 X 4 in normal icy road driving, I want to know how bad the road is.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Distracted driver. Today i waited(politely) for a middle aged woman. She didn't signal so I waited. No problem. She must be going straight so I waited. She turned anyway with no signal and a phone to her empty head. I hate her.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

my5cents wrote:
The problem with 4 X 4 "outperforming" (meaning outperforming in acceleration, not in braking or handling curves) if you think you have better traction than you do, when you brake or go into a curve too fast it's too late.

And the reason AWD vehicles always out perform 2wd vehicles in every competition of the world isn't because they corner better.
(sarcasm off)
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

cv23 wrote:[

And the reason AWD vehicles always out perform 2wd vehicles in every competition of the world isn't because they corner better.
(sarcasm off)

True but we're not talking perfectly balanced awd's with professional drivers. The average 4x4 will pose unique challenges during braking and cornering and more importantly a combination of the two. Straight ahead traction leads to over-confidence which eventually leads to ICBC claim.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Poindexter wrote:True but we're not talking perfectly balanced awd's with professional drivers. The average 4x4 will pose unique challenges during braking and cornering and more importantly a combination of the two. Straight ahead traction leads to over-confidence which eventually leads to ICBC claim.

Exactly
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If a driver does not have at least some idea of how the car he/she is driving will handle under most common circumstances then they need to either practise or get off the road!
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

cv23 wrote: And the reason AWD vehicles always out perform 2wd vehicles in every competition of the world isn't because they corner better.
(sarcasm off)

True because they are powering thru the curve and having the front wheels with power to the ground will actually be pulling the car thru the curve. These are skilled drivers in competition however and the average jane or joe driver should not be employing these tactics on public roads.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

The only advantage most 4x4's have is that many have longer wheel bases than a car. Wheelbase is king for slippery roads like highways.

Anybody else want to disconnect their ABS? ABS is for people who don't know how to drive, and in some situations (like loose gravel etc. and other slippery surfaces) can actually lengthen stopping distances over a skid up to 50%.
On a different forum
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

twobits wrote:
True because they are powering thru the curve and having the front wheels with power to the ground will actually be pulling the car thru the curve. These are skilled drivers in competition however and the average jane or joe driver should not be employing these tactics on public roads.

?????? Why shouldn't average drivers drive their vehicles properly and remain on the road surface rather than off the road and in the ditch as a result of driving their vehicles improperly as you profess they should do????
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

True but we're not talking perfectly balanced awd's with professional drivers. The average 4x4 will pose unique challenges during braking and cornering and more importantly a combination of the two. Straight ahead traction leads to over-confidence which eventually leads to ICBC claim.

So only professional drivers should be allowed to drive AWD's
Unique challenges? You mean like improved control during cornering because 4WD has no effect on braking.
So any vehicle that has good "straight ahead traction" will eventually lead to an insurance claim?

Come on. It's pretty easy to see just who in this thread has never driven an AWD or 4WD vehicle in their 80 yrs on this earth and who's driving skills should mean they shouldn't be allowed to drive at night let alone in the snow. Properly driven AWD and 4WD vehicles are superior in slippery conditions hence their development and proliferation. Almost all crashes in slippery conditions are a result of the driver over, or incorrectly, driving their vehicle for the conditions, plain and simple.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

cv23 wrote:
(sarcasm off)

I guess you have never heard of Drag racing, Nascar, Formula one, or stock cars, but thats OK.

All the models of All Wheel Drive, Four Wheel Drive, Front Wheel Drive, Rear Wheel Drive have their own good and bad points.
When you add in Different tires, road conditions, driver ability or lack of ability and experience, It does not make sense to say that one is better than another.
Some will be better in some cases, and in other cases it could be opposite. That being said, I prefer Four Wheel Drive, Manual locking hubs, standard brakes, lots of power, big tires. Most accidents I have seen, and there have been many, are caused by driver error. Often the drivers are not familiar with what their vehicles are capable of and do not have any skills in dealing with emergencies and skids.
Look far ahead, watch your mirrors, maintain your vehicle, use your common sense. Stay Safe.
Black Dogs Matter
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

dogspoiler wrote:I guess you have never heard of Drag racing, Nascar, Formula one, or stock cars, but thats OK.

Actually AWD and 4WD are not allowed in those forms of motor sports competition(except drag racing because it is done only in perfect conditions and drag racers don't turn corners) as the systems give those using them an unfair advantage due to the systems superior traction and cornering characteristics. Formula One for example has experimented extensively with AWD and the cars were faster than their 2WD counterparts but in the governing body's continuing effort to keep costs down AWD remains banned even though it has been proven faster. You forgot Indy/CART racing who also have done extensive testing with AWD vehicles and determined them to have an expensive and unfair advantage. NASCAR/stock cars along with drag racing rarely operate unless the racing surface is bone dry. I say rarely as one division of NASCAR (note all caps) has only recently started to permit rain tires over slicks as the only permitted type of tire.
As far as straight line acceleration (drag racing ) goes if they raced in the rain or any other condition that resulted in the track being the slightest bit slippery (ie icey as per the thread topic) AWD vehicles would kick a$$ on 2WD vehicles due to their superior traction characteristics.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I know there has been lots of experimentation and in some instances they may be used in the future.
The thought of a 8,000 HP dragster on an icy track does give me a little chuckle
Black Dogs Matter

Return to “Central Okanagan”