People and their pets!

Steve-O
Übergod

Re: People and their pets!

Post by Steve-O »

Fancy wrote: Dogs are a part of society and people need to learn how to adjust accordingly.

I remember watching the clean up efforts of Hurricane Katrina and there was a huge amount of effort and money spent to rescue and treat pets and other animals. What struck me, was the fact that there were still people that needed help and yet these resources went to animals. I know you won't agree with me Fancy, but in my opinion that was wrong. I couldn't care less if your dog barks when you come home or if a shop owner chooses to have a dog in their business but I feel priorities are messed up when a persons needs are placed behind taking care of an animal.

I've had a dog in the house for almost 35 years over the course of my life - 3 different dogs since I was a boy - and think they were wonderful companions but the love I had for them doesn't hold a candle to the love I have for my family and friends. Dogs are the pets of members of society not a part of it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Steve-O wrote:What struck me, was the fact that there were still people that needed help and yet these resources went to animals.
The resources were delegated to the animals that needed help - not diverted.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Same thing.

You missed my point if that is your response.

You have your opinion, I have mine. I'm done. Say hi to your dog for me.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I didn't miss your point but you sure did mine.
Steve-O wrote:Same thing.

You missed my point if that is your response.

You have your opinion, I have mine. I'm done. Say hi to your dog for me.
No, it's not the same thing. Those that contributed to the animals' welfare may not have contributed to the people or could have done so as well. You don't know. I choose to donate to SPCA and Cancer Society and that is my choice. I don't have to put all my donations towards people and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

You also seem to miss how people abuse donations - for example:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ouses.html

Those that help animals don't have to worry about dogs abusing same.
diggermechanic

Post by diggermechanic »

About the disposable dogs.......here is a what if.
You are driving down the road, suddenly a child and dog pop out in front of you and you can not stop, Now what, who gets it.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Sounds like they both get it.
Black Dogs Matter
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Yup - sounds like both should have used the crosswalk.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

If people CHOOSE to love their pet or animals more than stranger humans, why do so many posters feel that they are wrong and must love and treat humans with higher regard?
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

Probably because different people often have different opinions on subjects.

The whole argument about which life is "worth more" is a ridiculous extension of the original point anyways. People often resort to this sort of fallacious argument technique when they have no good points to make about the original subject as it was presented.
On a different forum
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Daspoot wrote:
If you are the type who is offended by all dogs in any business places, then I stick by my earlier post. I probably don't want to do business with you in the first place. My personal experience is that those who are offended by this sort of thing tend to let that easily-offended attitude creep into other areas of their personality, and tend to be somewhat unpleasant to deal with anyways. If my business suffers from this, I haven't seen it yet, We continue to grow beyond expectations.

Same here.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
diggermechanic

Post by diggermechanic »

I remember watching the clean up efforts of Hurricane Katrina and there was a huge amount of effort and money spent to rescue and treat pets and other animals. What struck me, was the fact that there were still people that needed help and yet these resources went to animals. I know you won't agree with me Fancy, but in my opinion that was wrong. I couldn't care less if your dog barks when you come home or if a shop owner chooses to have a dog in their business but I feel priorities are messed up when a persons needs are placed behind taking care of an animal.

I've had a dog in the house for almost 35 years over the course of my life - 3 different dogs since I was a boy - and think they were wonderful companions but the love I had for them doesn't hold a candle to the love I have for my family and friends. Dogs are the pets of members of society not a part of it.[/quote]

As veterans may agree, dogs were used as may things, mans best friend, decoys and food. They were used to draw fire (decoys) and also as food to keep people alive. Right or wrong, desperate measures in desperate times. As mentioned in past quotes "disposable" K-9.
The police will send in a dog in a high risk situation to take down a threat so the officer will not be hurt. Again disposable.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Police will send in ERT teams in high risk situations. K-9 units weren't created to be disposable but to add another faucet of policing.

What are you teaching a child when you allow a little pet to be neglected or decide to give it away or, worse, to just turn it loose to starve or be eaten? Instead of teaching that living beings are more than "things" that can be thrown away like last year's birthday presents, you've taught that they are disposable. And instead of teaching that, sometimes you have to do what you don't want to because someone is counting on you, you've taught that it's OK to bail out on another living being just because you have things you'd rather do.

Instead of laying the groundwork for a lifetime of giving, you've sent a message that when the going gets tough, it's acceptable to move on, because it's only what your child wants that matters.

Do you really want your child to learn such selfish behavior?

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... INT&A=1567
diggermechanic

Post by diggermechanic »

I have no idea what the rant is about (teaching children about disposable dogs????)
K-9 units are used in high risk situations when tracking is needed and uncertainty of officer safety .

I have noticed more of the "no dogs allowed" signs on businesses. I asked three owners or managers of businesses that just put the signs up for a reason. (they may have been up for a while, but I just noticed them) They all mentioned of complains from customers, including health concerns, and safety for the animal. One said "same as smoking ...its just irritating!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I have no idea what the rant is about (teaching children about disposable dogs????) Didn't you use the term "disposable?
K-9 units are used in high risk situations when tracking is needed and uncertainty of officer safety . Not so much for officers safety. They are highly specialized animals who are capable of running longer and faster and for locating contraband. They would be just as unlikely to be put in harms way as an officer. Too much time and effort goes n to training them.

I have noticed more of the "no dogs allowed" signs on businesses. I asked three owners or managers of businesses that just put the signs up for a reason. (they may have been up for a while, but I just noticed them) They all mentioned of complains from customers (miserable customers), including health concerns, (please) and safety for the animal. One said "same as smoking ...its just irritating! Seriously? We humans have the market on irritating cornered. It's no contest.[/quote]
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

When we did the Oregon Coast last year most of the stores were most happy to have us walk in with our dog. (we asked first).
If not for the most part we kept on going or one of us stayed outside with the dog if the other really wanted to go in.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “Central Okanagan”