Tell me about the West Bench

Sittinidol

Tell me about the West Bench

Post by Sittinidol »

Hi everybody,

My family and I are hoping to move to the Penticton area from Calgary this summer, and have been interested in a few homes in the West Bench area. I'm just wondering what you all think of the community from a local perspective and have a few questions based on some online research (unfortunately when we were there in October we neglected to tour the West Bench areA)

-what is the status of the West Bench water system? Are residents being charged individually for the upgrades currently underway?

-how is the walk to and from town? I know the hill is steep but is there a sidewalk etc?

-any thoughts on West Bench elementary? We have two young kids who would be starting kindergarten/Grade 1.

Google seems to turn up one entry for a "West Bench Grocery" store. Does this exist?

Thanks for any info. General thoughts and perceptions are welcome as well!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Tell me about the West Bench

Post by fluffy »

- The grocery store is history, closest access would be the little shopping center at the north entrance to town which has a collection of specialty stores like a produce store with a deli, meat shop and a bakery.

- The walk is not short, but an old railway right-of-way running south from Summerland crosses the length of Sage Mesa and West Bench before dropping down through the reserve to join on to the channel walking/cycling path a short walk from the Green Mountain Road / Hwy 97 intersection. It has a gentle grade and is smooth enough to cycle.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Beerhunter341
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Beerhunter341 »

Sittinidol wrote:Hi everybody,

My family and I are hoping to move to the Penticton area from Calgary this summer, and have been interested in a few homes in the West Bench area. I'm just wondering what you all think of the community from a local perspective and have a few questions based on some online research (unfortunately when we were there in October we neglected to tour the West Bench areA)

-what is the status of the West Bench water system? Are residents being charged individually for the upgrades currently underway?

-how is the walk to and from town? I know the hill is steep but is there a sidewalk etc?

-any thoughts on West Bench elementary? We have two young kids who would be starting kindergarten/Grade 1.

Google seems to turn up one entry for a "West Bench Grocery" store. Does this exist?

Thanks for any info. General thoughts and perceptions are welcome as well!

The walk to town is LONG depending on where you are walking from. West Bench is a large area. (It could take more than an hour to get from the Elementary school to City Hall for example). However, with the new water upgrade, they have installed a very nice walking path that runs up the length of Bartlett Drive.

Water - Areas of West Bench are being moved over to the city water system. Some areas (like the one I live in) are still going to be supplied by Sage Mesa. We have our own water filtration system so we don't have any issues.

Elementary School - don't know much about it but it has fairly low marks compared to other schools in the province

There is no general store anywhere in the West Bench area.

We live quite far up the hill in West Bench and love it there. It is very quiet and close to hiking, biking etc. The views are amazing.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Westbench is on individual septic systems; no city sewer; something that you might want to consider. Imagine the city water will be hooked up by Springtime.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

XT225 wrote:Westbench is on individual septic systems; no city sewer; something that you might want to consider. Imagine the city water will be hooked up by Springtime.

The hook up of the water and sewer has been delayed because of the fortis strike. They are both coming soon.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Glacier wrote:The hook up of the water and sewer has been delayed because of the fortis strike. They are both coming soon.

Glacier, are you sure about City Sewer on Westbench? I had not heard that; not even a rumor of it. It would change the entire area as then folks could subdivide a lot easier.
Beerhunter341
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Beerhunter341 »

XT225 wrote:Glacier, are you sure about City Sewer on Westbench? I had not heard that; not even a rumor of it. It would change the entire area as then folks could subdivide a lot easier.

Only water. Not sewer
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Sorry, I was thinking of the other project going on on that side of the river... Arrowleaf or Skaha Hills or whatever it is called now.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Sittinidol

Post by Sittinidol »

Thanks guys. The place we are looking at is on Vedette Drive, so it's fairly close to the road into town. I don't mind the idea of a septic system. Does anybody here know much about Mariposa Park on the end of Vedette?
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Mariposa Park is a legendary part of Penticton lore.
Sittinidol

Post by Sittinidol »

Please, go on!
Noelle72

Post by Noelle72 »

I live on Vedette and have two small kids. It's a great street to live on - close to town, close to the Kettle Valley trail system and very quiet. Mariposa Park is a nice little park and never busy. We will be on the City's water in the next few months and we have no problems with our septic system. We have a son who will be starting kindergarten at the Westbench school next fall. I highly recommend the area!
Sittinidol

Post by Sittinidol »

Thanks Noelle. Just curious as to how the cost of the water upgrade is being applied? There seems to be some confusion there. Is it a one-time lump sum to homeowners or a monthly/yearly fee?
Thanks!
Noelle72

Post by Noelle72 »

I believe there will be some options on how homeowners will be able to pay for the water upgrade.
Sittinidol

Post by Sittinidol »

Thanks for the info everyone!

Return to “Central Okanagan”