Tell me about the West Bench

Sittinidol

Re: Tell me about the West Bench

Post by Sittinidol »

Hi guys, a couple more questions as our move becomes more imminent...

Any concerns about forest fires in the West Bench/Husula Heights area?

What about living on the other side of Penticton, up Carmi Rd near the speedway?
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Sittinidol wrote:Hi guys, a couple more questions as our move becomes more imminent...

Any concerns about forest fires in the West Bench/Husula Heights area?

What about living on the other side of Penticton, up Carmi Rd near the speedway?

A few years ago a wildfire ripped through the area behind the airport and almost got into the Westbench I believe. A lot of land behind there is Native land and undeveloped; gets pretty dry up there in Summer. Upper Carmi has no fire protection at all and the Garnett Wildfire of 1993 hit that area hard.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

Rumour has it West Bench is toying with a name change to South-West Kelowna...
On a different forum
sale4u
Fledgling

Post by sale4u »

Hi! My sister and brother in law live on west bench drive and the only downside at their place is that the mountain behind them blocks the sun in the summer around 5 or 6 o'clock whereas the other side is good until around 9 or so. Not sure if this is an issue on Vedette but something to consider.
anna nymous

Post by anna nymous »

excellent points made here -
the sunset time in summer over on the west side of penticton (west bench) is perhaps an advantage - we face the hot direction and in summer - it's something to be reckoned with

re: interface fire
obviously one would take the right precautions - there is a lot of info out there - your local insurance agent should refer you to a booklet or website - much of this info is avail online - it came out largely because of big fires in Sisters / Bend OR about 20 yrs ago

our friends live higher up in the Forsyth Drive area - nice homes, lots of peaceful nature.

however, they move all the precious sentimental and legal doc type items to a self-storage in the city during fire hazard season - which varies from year to year

best ask your home insurance supplier - they will want to know what fire protection service is offered, where is hydrant, type of roof material etc ---- and then, it's all up to the occupant - no smoking, no campfire in the yards, don't leave your BBQ unattended - have big bucket of water nearby, no outdoor candles or lanterns - no pine needles on the roof or gutters, other landscaping ---- have a look at this website
http://bcwildfire.ca/FightingWildfire/Safety/

ps - if you choose a home in the interface - then make sure you have an "AWAY emerg contact (that your family can contact briefly if you are at work and spouse and kids are at home etc) and your pet carriers etc ready to go - all that stuff. I have been evacuated during the Kelowna fire - and it's something you don't soon forget.

good luck on your move - you've clearly given it much thought.
anna nymous

Post by anna nymous »

ps - if you (OP) are interested in small town history - re: Vedette - the street you're hoping to move to - it's one of several named after what would be now thought of as somewhat heritage varieties (pears and peaches and apricots, like Moorpark, a variety from So Calif)

the "v" peaches are the best according to more senior members of our longtime okanagan family - but didn't travel well for commercial shipping etc - so are not very commonly found these days at the market etc.

Penticton V's hockey
and some Peach Festival history here
http://stuartbish.com/miss-penticton-ro ... o-current/

that whole area up there was largely built for returning WW 2 war veterans

hope your house move goes well
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

anna nymous wrote:excellent points made here -
the sunset time in summer over on the west side of penticton (west bench) is perhaps an advantage - we face the hot direction and in summer - it's something to be reckoned with

True but for the other 10 months of the year the trade off is worth it imo.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

however, they move all the precious sentimental and legal doc type items to a self-storage in the city during fire hazard season

Perhaps a valid approach, but - twenty years after the Garnet Fire, shouldn't we be aiming a little higher? I strongly believe this issue speaks to the overall character of this community. Are we committed to thriving in our environment, or are we trapped in a mid brain approach centered around our primal fight or flight instincts?
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Sittinidol

Post by Sittinidol »

Do you guys think the West Bench is significantly colder in the non-summer months due to the earlier sunset?
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Daspoot wrote:Rumour has it West Bench is toying with a name change to South-West Kelowna...

Where can I buy the West Bench license plate frames?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Sittinidol wrote:Do you guys think the West Bench is significantly colder in the non-summer months due to the earlier sunset?

Wouldn't say it is any colder in the winter but during the shoulder seasons things cool off quickly once they lose the sun and they do lose it quite a bit earlier than the east side of town.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Sittinidol

Post by Sittinidol »

Thanks again guys! The pass around Revelstoke was no picnic but it was worth it to be in your beautiful town this weekend!
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Steve-O wrote:Where can I buy the West Bench license plate frames?

Westbank where else :)

Return to “Central Okanagan”