McDonald's in Summerland

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: McDonald's in Summerland

Post by fluffy »

Queen K wrote:I'd claim I support them too, but I've never stopped in on our many trips though there.

So what makes Summerland unique in the North American system of homogenizing what people dine out at?

Summerland is a rarity in the Okanagan in that the highway doesn't blast right through the middle of town so it stayed immune to the hotel/motel/fast food/used car syndrome until recently. Most of the development you see from the highway has happened within the last two or three decades, downtown is still "off the track" territory. Plus the fact that the local demographic leads heavily towards retirement age the town has grown rather comfortable in it's twenty-years-behind-the-times position. I grew up in Summerland, and couldn't wait to get out of town after high school because nothing ever happens there. After a few years out in the real world I couldn't wait to get back because nothing ever happens there. Go figure.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We went to Summerland Light Up and it was the best! OOHH, am I supposed to give that away on the open forum?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Naramata

Post by Naramata »

This McDonald's had the worst service of ANY McDonald's I've visited in the world. Look up the Summerland location on www.tripadvisor.com or urban spoon. Missing the main part of a burger was typical for this location! It will not be missed. Good riddance!
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Dizzy1 wrote:LOL ... had that happen to me at Wendy's

Hah, me too!!!
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

I'm thinking WrapZone is the better of all of them.[/quote]

Would never make it for a variety of reasons.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Naramata wrote:This McDonald's had the worst service of ANY McDonald's I've visited in the world. Look up the Summerland location on http://www.tripadvisor.com or urban spoon. Missing the main part of a burger was typical for this location! It will not be missed. Good riddance!

It really did, Vancouver and trying to communicate with people who don't understand English is bad but this really was one of the worst. Good riddance from me to!
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Queen K wrote:We went to Summerland Light Up and it was the best! OOHH, am I supposed to give that away on the open forum?

It really isn't that much of a secret have you noticed how busy it is!
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

Summerland does a lot of things right, but food isn't one of them. Fast Food aside, The place could use a good greasy spoon with decent service and honest food. The Perch comes close, but no kids aloud. Zia's... meh... Local is nice, but the menu is a bit over-the-top for what people want 8 months of the year when it isn't tourist season. the Fish and Chips place is great, as is the Sushi, but it lacks in atmosphere, It would be nice if someone could open a BBQ shack, or good burger joint. An good, honest old Drive-in would probably do well in-season. Most of the other places aren't worth mentioning, or eating at for that matter. It's no wonder we rarely go to Summerland anymore. Sure would be nice to get a Mykonos back there, Best Pizza in the Valley. Even a Theos or the like would be a huge step in the right direction. Most of the restaurants seem to have no vision, no imagination, and food, decor and service to match.

Sorry, was that too negative?
On a different forum
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Daspoot wrote:Summerland does a lot of things right, but food isn't one of them. Fast Food aside, The place could use a good greasy spoon with decent service and honest food. The Perch comes close, but no kids aloud. Zia's... meh... Local is nice, but the menu is a bit over-the-top for what people want 8 months of the year when it isn't tourist season. the Fish and Chips place is great, as is the Sushi, but it lacks in atmosphere, It would be nice if someone could open a BBQ shack, or good burger joint. An good, honest old Drive-in would probably do well in-season. Most of the other places aren't worth mentioning, or eating at for that matter. It's no wonder we rarely go to Summerland anymore. Sure would be nice to get a Mykonos back there, Best Pizza in the Valley. Even a Theos or the like would be a huge step in the right direction. Most of the restaurants seem to have no vision, no imagination, and food, decor and service to match.

Sorry, was that too negative?

Were ya devastated when the Vanilla Pod moved to Penticton?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
shakeman
Fledgling

Post by shakeman »

I noticed the mention of Mykonos by Daspoot. It is a very well remembered restaurant in Summerland; best pizza in the valley for certain and best in several of other ways IMO.

I just wanted to say that Pat, the wife half of the owners of Summerlands Mykonos, passed away last night at Moog Hospice in Pentiction. I ask anyone who has fond memories of Summerland Mykonos to raise a glass of whatever and a slice pizza in her name and to her memory. Just as Mykonos is missed so to will Pat be missed.
tmjones

Post by tmjones »

My parents friend was a regular patron for coffee at this place. He got word it was closing and told us before it even closed. Surprising, a little, but I do agree, service really lacked at this place. He also told us that Starbucks will be moving into that location. So now it is a wait game to see in fact if this is true!
JbT

Post by JbT »

I used to work there in high school and its definitely a terrible layout to cook the food and prep it. Im sure it would be fine with less traffic but when you have 1 person working the fry station, one person cooking and 1-2 people working the prep line all in a 8' square with the main travel route directly between and the manager running between the back and front tills it creates a back log and bumping into people during peak times. There is also no where to scale up the operation due to the size of the cook area. Its just one clam shell cooker, 1 fryer and one small prep table. Plus the people working there are always slackers, like I was when I was in high school.

I think the place would be just fine if it were a Triple O's, since they seem to get less traffic than mcdonalds. Also a starbucks would be able to function well in that size of area too, im sure.
wanderingchef
Fledgling

Post by wanderingchef »

One less McDonalds in the valley is great news. Imagine if Penticton followed the leadership of other communities in the province and banned or limited the number of fast-food outlets...... It would make room for more locally owned shops which would lead to fresher, more creative options and create a much stronger local economy because more of the communities money would stay in the community.
gfromktown

Post by gfromktown »

To answer to any doubters, McDonalds Summerland location is closed for good. This particular location was owned by the same franchisee that owns the one in Lake Country, and all of the Kelowna and West Kelowna locations. Penticton is a separate owner. The decision was a long time coming, due to the location of the store, and a changing market in Summerland.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Used to hit them up for an ice cream cone after riding the Test of Humanity loop. Hit the A&W for and ice cold root beer I guess.

Return to “Central Okanagan”