Re-name the Penticton Herald?

Captain77
Fledgling

Re-name the Penticton Herald?

Post by Captain77 »

I think it's time to re-name the Penticton Herald to more accurately reflect it's content.
How about "The world according to James"?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Re-name the Penticton Herald?

Post by Bsuds »

Or Fulla Old News.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Careful now....NO negative business reviews on here. I quite like the paper and James Miller gives good and fair editorials; unlike some of the Kelowna editors.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Why read a paper, just go to the coffee shop and listen to the gossip.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Hey Captain sounds like James is yanking your chain alittle. James has been in the news business for a long time and knows how to play the game. Best thing you can do is either quit reading the Herald (which I doubt you will do) or totally ignore his comments that put your blood pressure up. Just think ... he got what he wanted from you ... free advertising on Castanet.
James is a good guy really ... take him out for a coffee - get to know him. He'll give you his time I'm sure.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Why worry about renaming it?

It's just a matter to time before it too goes the way of the Kamloops paper.

Very few read newspapers anymore these days, then combine that with the growing concern for going green, and the writing on the wall is clear.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote: I quite like the paper and James Miller gives good and fair editorials; unlike some of the Kelowna editors.

Thanks XT..........I really needed a good laugh! James does however give the Herald a really nice bumpkin feel.
If it weren't for the flyers and all the column inches devoted to James' pet subjects, it wouldn't even do for the budgie cage. Pun intended.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I like James Miller's editorials; his wit is refreshing and a big part of why I keep buying the paper. Cant say the same for some of the other editors up the valley.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Captain77 wrote:I think it's time to re-name the Penticton Herald to more accurately reflect it's content.

Dan Ashton Times

(I'm not joking)
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Thinktank wrote:

Dan Ashton Times
(I'm not joking)

Now THAT would cause us all to cancel our subcriptions. Please, no!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote:
Dan Ashton Times
(I'm not joking)

Now THAT would cause us all to cancel our subcriptions. Please, no!

Since James Millar constantly fried Ashton in his editorials, isn't it interesting that in more than a few editorials since Litke became mayor, James' editorials have given kudo's to Ashtons actions as compared to Litke's positions on a number of topics. As the saying goes, be careful what you wish for. Despite polling well as a councillor, I doubt very much Litke will get another term if someone half decent steps up to challenge.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:

Since James Millar constantly fried Ashton in his editorials, isn't it interesting that in more than a few editorials since Litke became mayor, James' editorials have given kudo's to Ashtons actions as compared to Litke's positions on a number of topics. As the saying goes, be careful what you wish for. Despite polling well as a councillor, I doubt very much Litke will get another term if someone half decent steps up to challenge.

Re the Herald, etc...it is interesting that the editorials may show less support for Litke than one might have expected. I am not impressed with either of their performances, especially since Litke is not supporting labour at all (like the right wing thought he would), so twobit, you should actually like the guy. No rumors coming down the Pike as yet as to who might run against him. Maybe we SHOULD actually support Vic Powell, once and for all...lol.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

I tend to agree with XT225 - so far this new council is very disappointing. Also agree the Penticton Herald is very reflective of James Miller although I would think most papers to some extent will be reflective of the editor in terms of content.
roger-rabbit

Post by roger-rabbit »

The Herald is a decent, small-town newspaper. They break about 95 per cent of major stories *removed/Jo*, never turn down letter/cheque donation submissions, photography is pretty good, hokey at times, for sure, but small paid dailies have to try and be something for everyone. Their editor at least has the guts to ask the tough, uncomfortable questions but doesn't cling on long enough. The writing overall is pretty good. Tons of letters to the editor, most dailies limit it to one or two letters. Yes, the regulars are annoying, but they don't limit free speech and as soon as I see a name I don't like, I skip to the next one. We're lucky to still have the option of a paid daily, plus a twice-weekly flyer.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

It's too bad small newspapers are now obsolete. ( because they do some good things)

But I do remember how every newspaper in Canada went berzerk and viciously attacked Sunera Thobani
because she was against the Iraq war and made a famous speech at UBC. That's when I realized
having all these newspapers with their editors in Canada is not such a bargain - they all say the same thing.
And when it comes to a war - that's bad news. I hope the newspapers go bankrupt - the sooner the better.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.

Return to “Central Okanagan”