Re-name the Penticton Herald?

twobits
Guru

Re: Re-name the Penticton Herald?

Post by twobits »

Thinktank wrote:It's too bad small newspapers are now obsolete. ( because they do some good things)

But I do remember how every newspaper in Canada went berzerk and viciously attacked Sunera Thobani
because she was against the Iraq war and made a famous speech at UBC. That's when I realized
having all these newspapers with their editors in Canada is not such a bargain - they all say the same thing.
And when it comes to a war - that's bad news. I hope the newspapers go bankrupt - the sooner the better.

Certainly some different circuitry in your thought process.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Captain77
Fledgling

Post by Captain77 »

I am becoming increasingly impressed with the quality of the Penticton Western news. I find the articles balanced (which I like), and the photos are very good (Jan. 15th edition is a great example). And no, neither I nor any of my relatives/friends work at the Western. I have watched it emerge from an advertising flyer to a reputable place to get thoughtful articles and news. Castanet is my home page for instant news.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Captain77 wrote:I am becoming increasingly impressed with the quality of the Penticton Western news. I find the articles balanced (which I like), and the photos are very good (Jan. 15th edition is a great example). And no, neither I nor any of my relatives/friends work at the Western. I have watched it emerge from an advertising flyer to a reputable place to get thoughtful articles and news. Castanet is my home page for instant news.

Instant?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Captain77 wrote:I am becoming increasingly impressed with the quality of the Penticton Western news. I find the articles balanced (which I like), and the photos are very good (Jan. 15th edition is a great example). And no, neither I nor any of my relatives/friends work at the Western. I have watched it emerge from an advertising flyer to a reputable place to get thoughtful articles and news. Castanet is my home page for instant news.

Anonymous123 wrote:Instant?

Well compared to the newspapers yes.

Items of interest tend to show up almost as soon as they happen, or someone gets to report them.

Anything I see in the paper these days is news I've already read on Castanet considerably sooner.

Why do you think the Kamloops paper shut down?
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Anonymous123 wrote:Instant?

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Well compared to the newspapers yes.

Items of interest tend to show up almost as soon as they happen, or someone gets to report them.

Anything I see in the paper these days is news I've already read on Castanet considerably sooner.

Why do you think the Kamloops paper shut down?

Just read the first few posts on this thread and tell me again how "instant" the news is on this site.
http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=55044
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

You do realize there's a difference between the Castanet homepage and threads in the forums I hope?

Just because some member starts a thread touching on an ancient topic, doesn't mean the stories on the front page are ancient, and they are certainly more current than anything I've read in any newspaper the last few years.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:You do realize there's a difference between the Castanet homepage and threads in the forums I hope?

Just because some member starts a thread touching on an ancient topic, doesn't mean the stories on the front page are ancient, and they are certainly more current than anything I've read in any newspaper the last few years.

I realize that. The Castanet story was posted around 12:30 ( it's gone now), yet the Courier had it on their front page. Just pointing out that Castanet isn't always that fast in reporting the news. I've seen some stories that are reported days after the event.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

LoneWolf, not sure what papers you are reading, however, I do believe Castanet is often quite late getting to a story, especially those from the South and Northend of the Valley. Just this week there have been numerous stories out of Penticton and area that Castanet just hasn't picked up on for whatever reason. Yet, these stories have appeared in both Penticton's daily and weekly papers. Not sure who they have for a reporter down here in the southend of the valley but I don't believe they are to active in finding stories. I also believe some of the stories that run late on Castanet are simply rewrites of stories they have seen elsewhere. Just my opinion.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I'm not suggesting Castanet is perfect, simply that my experience has been that the few times I've picked up a paper in a coffee shop or such, everything I saw in it I'd already read here, or elsewhere.
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Soon, it should not be necessary to read a paper.
I heard that Penticton was going to get Television soon, and that Telus will be making the party line obolete.
Next thing you know, we will have a dial phone in every home!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

twofingers wrote:
I heard that Penticton was going to get Television soon, and that Telus will be making the party line obolete.
Next thing you know, we will have a dial phone in every home!

That's scandalous! More lost jobs ... what will those telephone operators do for work? Mary always knew all the best rumours and dirt.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”