Headlights vs running lights safety concern

dagl73

Headlights vs running lights safety concern

Post by dagl73 »

It has become apparent to me, after driving between Summerland and Penticton on a daily basis that not everyone realizes there is a difference between your automatic daytime running lights and actually turning your lights on. If you are driving when it is dark outside you MUST actually turn your headlights on and not just assume your running lights are enough. When you don't turn your headlights on, it means your rear tail lights are not on and you can be near impossible to see when being approached from behind, and this could be a serious safety hazard. I have followed at least one person on the highway each day this week who have not turned their lights on.

I blame some car manufacturer's in part for this as there are things they could do to prevent this. I drive a Mazda and if i haven't turned my headlights on, my dash does not illuminate, hence reminding me when it is dark that i need to turn them on. I'm sure Mazda isn't the only one that has this sort of safety feature to remind it's drivers to turn their lights on at night, but maybe if they all did, i wouldn't be following all these drivers who don't realize they can not be seen from behind.
livewire
Fledgling

Re: Headlights vs running lights safety concern

Post by livewire »

I've been one of those drivers. I have a feature on mine that is automatic so that when it gets dark my actual headlights come on. I was using this feature all the time, and as habit I assumed my lights where coming on. I realized that the dial for auto/manual is on my signal light arm and sometimes when I whipped my signal light on it was accidentaly rotating to manual. I now keep it on manual all the time so I don't get into the habit of assumption.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I suspect driver laziness, I automatically turn my headlights on any day visibility is an issues(of course evening, night and early morning). And yes my vehicle has automatic daytime running lights.

To all drivers automatic daytime running lights does not turn on any tail light.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

It does on my work truck.
Black Dogs Matter
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My Ford truck will turn the headlights on automatically when it's too dark. That should be a feature on all cars.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Also, daytime running lights are NOT low beam, they are the high beam at half or so strength.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Beerhunter341
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Beerhunter341 »

my5cents wrote:Also, daytime running lights are NOT low beam, they are the high beam at half or so strength.

Not mine. My are my low beams
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

If you have automatic lights as I do, check your lights after you have a service done at the garage. The techs when doing their checks almost always turn the headlight switch to off.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Beerhunter341 wrote:Not mine. My are my low beams

If so, your's would be the exception.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
johnp3
Fledgling

Post by johnp3 »

I have a 93 Caprice it has automatic headlights.
I would like to see the Daytime running law enforced, many vehicles do not have any lights on, and when they come out of the shadows are hard to see.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

johnp3 wrote:I have a 93 Caprice it has automatic headlights.
I would like to see the Daytime running law enforced, many vehicles do not have any lights on, and when they come out of the shadows are hard to see.

? I don't think there is a BC law that makes it a requirement to have daytime running lights, I think BC just says a vehicle must comply with Federal laws. The Federal law is that any vehicle built after December 1, 1989 be fitted with daytime running lights.

So the police aren't shirking their duties.

I agree it's much safer, strange to see vehicles in the USA without them. Then,, lots of US highways have signs telling motorists to drive with their headlight on during the day.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

my5cents wrote:So the police aren't shirking their duties.

The probably are because it's the same as no tail lights and a safety violation. So they could if they wanted.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Could be wrong but I believe if your vehicle is equipped with DRLs (which all vehicles have had been required in Canada since 1990) it is illegal to disengage them. Some new cars (the new Jetta comes to mind) the DRLs will not turn off even if you have the parking brake on ... pain in the *bleep* at the drive in.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Bsuds wrote:The probably are because it's the same as no tail lights and a safety violation. So they could if they wanted.

No idea what you are talking about. There is no requirement to have tail lights on during day time.

"a safety violation" ? Before the police/authorities can take action there needs to be a law broken. There isn't a law.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

my5cents wrote: Before the police/authorities can take action there needs to be a law broken. There isn't a law.

Then call it a safety regulation and you can be ticketed for it. Tail lights at night (I never said daytime) or brake lights are safety violations if not working and so are DRL's. I doubt if the police would go out of their way to stop someont but will check if you are pulled over for other reasons. (or use it as an excuse)
My son was stopped recently and the reason given was 1 brake light (there are 2 on each side) was not working.

Return to “Central Okanagan”