Staff cuts in Summerland

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Staff cuts in Summerland

Post by Anonymous123 »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-106473-21-.htm#106473

Four jobs cut with a savings of $500,000.00 per year. That's an average of $125,000.00 each. It's no wonder taxes keep going up.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: Staff cuts in Summerland

Post by XT225 »

The Herald quotes 7 jobs...that's considerably different than your figures. Perhaps its to pay for that fancy new police station. http://www.pentictonherald.ca/front-pag ... -jobs.html
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I counted 8 in the Castanet story
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Bsuds wrote:I counted 8 in the Castanet story

You're correct; it did say 8. That's an average of $62,500 if you want to use the averaging that the original poster used, though it wont be accurate at all as some were lower paid positions, some management ones. Regardless its not good news.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

And some of those 8 moved to other positions so they don't count.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It's not fun to lose your job at any time.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

The information systems coordinator will move to a new position - that still leaves 3 positions that won't be replaced plus the 4 people who will be laid off.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

I guess no one has read the article on Castanet. Here is a direct quote from said article:

So technically, four people have been laid off, taking effect immediately, according to Perrino.

The staff cuts will save $500,000 the first year, which would equate to a 7 per cent tax increase, she said.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Correct but I think the retirements were included in the savings as well.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Bsuds wrote:Correct but I think the retirements were included in the savings as well.

You are correct, but those retirements draw pensions as well. I wonder if that was included in the estimated savings.
Crazy Horse
Fledgling

Post by Crazy Horse »

It's rare to see municipal politicians make these tough but necessary moves. They should be commended.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Anonymous123 wrote:...but those retirements draw pensions as well. I wonder if that was included in the estimated savings.

That's doubtful. Pension plans are generally administered by a outside entity, usually a financial institution of some sort, and are not an expense to the employer once the employee has left.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Crazy Horse wrote:It's rare to see municipal politicians make these tough but necessary moves. They should be commended.

Absolutely....someone has to lose their job(s) to pay for the fancy new Police Station! What a sad situation.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:
That's doubtful. Pension plans are generally administered by a outside entity, usually a financial institution of some sort, and are not an expense to the employer once the employee has left.

You are 100% correct, Fluffy. Once they leave the employer no longer has any further expenses to said employees.
Crazy Horse
Fledgling

Post by Crazy Horse »

XT225 wrote:
Absolutely....someone has to lose their job(s) to pay for the fancy new Police Station! What a sad situation.

But council is a representation of the taxpayers, and they made a tough decision. Those jobs do not exist to serve the employee. They exist to serve the tax payer, and if the private sector ( those footing the bill) are subject to growth and contraction, why shouldn't the public sector?

Return to “Central Okanagan”