Staff cuts in Summerland

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Re: Staff cuts in Summerland

Post by Anonymous123 »

I hope that the employees that are losing their jobs, didn't recently quit a job to accept a job in Summerland only to get laid off.

http://www.summerland.ca/municipalhall/jobpostings.aspx
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote:
You are 100% correct, Fluffy. Once they leave the employer no longer has any further expenses to said employees.

That is curious because there seems to be a whole bunch of news lately about the crisis in unfunded pension obligations. Who do you think makes up those shortfalls XT? Funny too that it is predominantly public sector employee's as well. No one is better at borrowing, under funding, or deferring pension fund contributions than gov't entities. Just kick the can down the road to break the taxpayer's back at a later date. So yes, there can be further expenses to us, the employers, when said employee leaves. That is the beauty (cough cough) of defined pension plans.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Some free-enterprising corporations have tapped into employee funded pension funds, borrowed from them and been unable to replenish the funds. I know someone who thinks they might recover half for their retirees. The city of Chicago(?) dipped into their employee pension fund and now can't pay it - the retired workers are protesting in the streets. Such dipping practice should not be allowed, as much of the money, both for private and public enterprises, is accumulated from paycheque deductions. Likely local government plans are funded largely by paycheque deductions and then funds managed by some outside organization.
Maybe self-managed plans are more desirable to some, who can better manage their own funds. I suppose this might be why some buy investment properties, good quality stocks, use reverse mortgages, live minimally etc... Then there are retirees with no additional resources, due to a variety of situations. Retirement funding has me looking at more years at the grindstone, especially with costs relentlessly climbing.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

Anonymous123 wrote:http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-106473-21-.htm#106473

Four jobs cut with a savings of $500,000.00 per year. That's an average of $125,000.00 each. It's no wonder taxes keep going up.

Why do we as Canadians resent those who make decent money? Why does it bother so many of us to see someone make what we consider "easy money" I think it's a major national character flaw, and one thing that they do better than us in the USA, where many don't begrudge others a good profit or wage.

I may envy those who seem to have it better than me, but I don't resent them for it.
On a different forum
GIS_Dude

Post by GIS_Dude »

Daspoot wrote:Why do we as Canadians resent those who make decent money? Why does it bother so many of us to see someone make what we consider "easy money" I think it's a major national character flaw, and one thing that they do better than us in the USA, where many don't begrudge others a good profit or wage.

I may envy those who seem to have it better than me, but I don't resent them for it.

Especially when one actually reads the story and does the math. This cut involved seven positions in all, two of which were retiring senior managers - the Superintendent of Public Works and the Parks & Rec Director. One could reasonably argue that these two positions which are not being re-hired for, were in the 100k per year each range especially after benefits etc. Do the math on the remaining 5 positions and the remaining 300k in stated savings and it's an average of 60k per position including benefit package costs...a decent income but not excessive given the cost of living in these parts.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

You are correct, but even if there were 4 making $125K/annum. with a good pension, What exactly would be wrong with that for a city official? We're not talking washing dishes at some greasy spoon here.

Do some people want their city officials to be making minimum wage or something? If they think they should only be making $40ishK a year, what exactly do they think should be a good paying job, or should everybody just make as little as they do? is it jealousy?
On a different forum
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Well, if the jobs are not being refilled one has to wonder what those jobs actually entailed that the gap can be filled within the existing structure. I don't think it's a matter of resenting people who make a good living as much as there is a perception that we could be getting better value for our tax dollar when it comes to public servants. Whether or not that perception is accurate is a whole other discussion but it just kinds of lays there like an elephant in the room that the positions do not need refilling.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

fluffy wrote:<snip.......> there is a perception that we could be getting better value for our tax dollar when it comes to public servants. <snip>

Well now that's a whole other story/thread :D
On a different forum
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

fluffy wrote:Well, if the jobs are not being refilled one has to wonder what those jobs actually entailed that the gap can be filled within the existing structure. I don't think it's a matter of resenting people who make a good living as much as there is a perception that we could be getting better value for our tax dollar when it comes to public servants. Whether or not that perception is accurate is a whole other discussion but it just kinds of lays there like an elephant in the room that the positions do not need refilling.

Bingo.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent

Return to “Central Okanagan”