HWY 3 closure

johnp3
Fledgling

HWY 3 closure

Post by johnp3 »

I am just amazed at the response of the government and the global news at the closure, they act as if going down #5 then down #3A is a walk threw the park,
If this was the highway of death, there would be a lot faster result.
The whole government response shows how little they care, the group is a complete waste of skin.
southy
Lord of the Board

Re: HWY #3 closure

Post by southy »

johnp3 wrote:I am just amazed at the response of the government and the global news at the closure, they act as if going down #5 then down #3A is a walk threw the park,
The whole government response shows how little they care, the group is a complete waste of skin.

Hey John, know part of the story, just not the part that has you so upset. Do you care to give us a link or something.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

johnp3 wrote:I am just amazed at the response of the government and the global news at the closure, they act as if going down #5 then down #3A is a walk threw the park,

To my mind it's entirely plausible that more needs to be done than simply remove the rocks on the road.

Given the size of the fall shown in pictures, I wouldn't be surprised in the least to learn that experts need to be brought in to check the slope for stability, in case more debris is about to come down, before they can give a green light and reopen it.

I'm going to speculate that if they just quickly removed the rocks and reopened the road, after which you went through and wound up wearing a few more rocks, you'd be even more upset than you are now.

Sometimes things just require patience and if the wait is unacceptable then I guess the alternate route has to be used.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

from their facebook:

Similkameen News Leader
Clean-up efforts at the Highway 3 rock slide near Keremeos have been halted as of 1:30 PM (January 28, 2014). Our source says the geo-tech crews have cleared the area as a result of stability issues. The 'planned' 4:00 PM re-opening is now CANCELLED.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

^^ I suspected as much after noting this excerpt from the news article........

Swales says the area is still active, so the highway will remain closed overnight. A geotechnical assessment from the air will take place at first light on Tuesday.

So obviously while engaged in this assessment they've noted something more to be worried about.

No point in opening the road simply to put more travellers in harms way.

I'd have to say that johnp3 describing these concerned officials as a "waste of skin" is more than a tad harsh, given the circumstances.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Having travelled through there many times over I hope they are able to stabilize the cliffs even if that means dynamiting out unstable material now instead of later.

It's always been dicey though there.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i looked yesterday and saw that about the same time the landslide occurred there was a little earthquake around Princeton. it was only a 2 but...maybe that had something to do with it.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

ferri wrote:i looked yesterday and saw that about the same time the landslide occurred there was a little earthquake around Princeton. it was only a 2 but...maybe that had something to do with it.

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

It's always when we have these stretches, where temperatures constantly fluctuate, above and below freezing, that slides are far more prone to occur, and nothing better to set one in motion than a bit of ground shaking via earthquake.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Rocks are coming down daily in that area, nothing new. Every 5 or 6 years or so a large slide comes down anywhere from the Mariposa fruit stand , Standing Rock, thru the 4 lane west.
nissan

Rock slide

Post by nissan »

If you check Intelicast, it shows there was a 2.4 quake. in that area!.
driveangry
Übergod

Re: HWY 3 closure

Post by driveangry »

This road closure is turning into a real joke. They won't open the road incase a rock comes down. Rocks have been coming down almost daily in the whole area from Ollala thru to Van. There are signs "Watch for falling rock" everywhere out here. To top it off they have a guy stopping traffic at the Kaledan turn off to Van. and at the bypass turn off in Keremeos . A simple sign would do. I understand it's their job but getting stopped several times a day to explain to them that I'm not going that way in is wearing my patience quite thin.

But they did do a good job clearing the snow off the two lanes to the closed off area. Would be nice if they did the same for the school bus routes.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I would like to get to Vancouver without going over the Coquihalla right now. Someone suggested that the back road from Summerland to Princeton might be a viable option. I've driven it before but never in Winter. Does anyone know if its plowed and reasonable for travel? I drive a small car; not a 4x4 but have good snow tires. thanks.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

pentona wrote:I would like to get to Vancouver without going over the Coquihalla right now. Someone suggested that the back road from Summerland to Princeton might be a viable option. I've driven it before but never in Winter. Does anyone know if its plowed and reasonable for travel? I drive a small car; not a 4x4 but have good snow tires. thanks.

Take the 97C to Aspen Grove and then take 5A to Princeton.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Aspen+grove+hwy+97c&ie=UTF-8&ei=JMLpUuD4OoGAogS17IHACQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

[quote="Anonymous123"]

Take the 97C to Aspen Grove and then take 5A to Princeton.

Thanks but that's not what I meant; I know of that route but its HIGH altitude; wanted to stay lower., via trout creek route.

Return to “Central Okanagan”