HWY 3 closure

driveangry
Übergod

Re: HWY 3 closure

Post by driveangry »

From a previous post
" About 4-5 months back there was a slide very close to this one that blocked 3 lanes, knocked out the power for a couple of hours, started a small fire and took out my phone for 2 weeks. The loader pushed off the rocks and traffic was back to normal by the end of the day."

Back when they reopened the new section thru Yellow Lake, they had several engineers inspect the cliff side before opening the hwy, within a few days they closed it because of falling rock, it was closed for several days until the engineers reinspected for safety before reopening the hwy again. A couple of weeks pass and more larger rocks came down. No closure that time, just pushed off the rocks. It was almost a year before they removed them.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Alrighty then. This horse has been flogged.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
johnp3
Fledgling

Post by johnp3 »

They spend billions on the highway of death, and a couple of years ago when they were pedaling the BS about Hwy 99, being so dangerous the road was closed by Standing Rock for an accident I had to go around and over the Chokahalla, the road was shut down for about 10 hours, they did not post it, at Flood Hope the sign said report poachers.
They seem to find the time to check the 99 but when it comes to the #3 they do absolutly nothing, I live in Rock Creek, our section of the road has not been reworked since 1972. The time to check the road for unstable areas, is in the summer, what they could not find someone to look at the road and certify it, it has been a problem area for twenty plus years, what do they think is going to change. They have done nothing up to now, clear the road and be done with it.
The news stations act as if taking the 5A and back to Osoyoos or Keremeos is a few miles.
Maybe the government can give some more money to the oil industry, to show they really care about the road.
johnp3
Fledgling

Post by johnp3 »

While I am at Hwy#3 rant if you drive that highway there are the switchbacks when you are coming down the hills, before the first corner, look straight across to the road on the other side of the gulley. Amazing there is the road perfectly aligned. all that is needed is a couple of big culverts and some fill and no more need to burn up your brakes, and waste fuel accelerating from 20 to 30K. The first one is before the mine hill, there is one more before sunday summit.
My father was involved when they were redoing the bridges on those corners and showed me it.
We need more skiers, or maybe the Gas or carbon tax could actually do something instead of giving it to the oil industry.

162 million would have fixed quite a bit.
Just a thought!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Think you need to go start your own rant thread.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

johnp3 wrote:I am just amazed at the response of the government and the global news at the closure, they act as if going down #5 then down #3A is a walk threw the park,
If this was the highway of death, there would be a lot faster result.
The whole government response shows how little they care, the group is a complete waste of skin.

Meh, Princeton-Summerland Rd. is a nice drive, especially in winter when the washboard is filled in with snow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEY58fiSK8E#t=0m20s
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I love the Princeton-Summerland Road, especially once I understood it and knew where the real challenges are on it.

Really cuts out a lot of miles.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Does anyone have any idea what MOH is doing with this? There is still a section of highway with rocks and debris piled very neatly on it, closing one lane. This slide happened ages ago - shouldn't it be cleaned up by now?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Tony wrote:Does anyone have any idea what MOH is doing with this? There is still a section of highway with rocks and debris piled very neatly on it, closing one lane. This slide happened ages ago - shouldn't it be cleaned up by now?

Welcome to money in the budget lol. Seriously though, is it impeding traffic right now and are there higher priorities with avalanches and such? Are we so entitled as to expect zero disruptions in our routines without regard to the realities of the topography we live in? There are after all lanes open in both directions. Was your commute delayed in any way?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Welcome to money in the budget lol. Seriously though, is it impeding traffic right now and are there higher priorities with avalanches and such? Are we so entitled as to expect zero disruptions in our routines without regard to the realities of the topography we live in? There are after all lanes open in both directions. Was your commute delayed in any way?

It does impede traffic, depending on your definition. The speed zone drops to 60 and you are down to one lane. I do feel entitled as I have paid my taxes and I spend a crap load of money on gas due to my profession, therefore I pay my fair share plus of road tax. It would take a loader, two dump trucks and a clean up crew about 4 hours to remove the debris from the road. After a rock slide such as this, I can understand delays, however, since the engineers have deemed no further danger months ago in this particular area, they should proceed with the clean up. My trip wasn't delayed any length, but I believe there are some safety concerns in having all this garbage on the highway.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Is the area stable now? Some rocks were tumbling down yesterday. (Not much fun being behind a looky-loo while you're watching that!)

I realize there are areas of highway where mini-slides happen regularly, and there are containment methods available; just wondering if they've figured out what (if anything) still needs to be done here.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Tony wrote:Does anyone have any idea what MOH is doing with this? There is still a section of highway with rocks and debris piled very neatly on it, closing one lane. This slide happened ages ago - shouldn't it be cleaned up by now?

Well, here we go again. I've made several trips past this area in the past couple of months and nobody appears to be doing anything to resolve the problem. Rather dissapointing.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#114467
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We drove through there three days ago and I was thinking that those slopes looked pretty unstable.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Central Okanagan”