"Screwed with our pants on"?

Tero
Board Meister

"Screwed with our pants on"?

Post by Tero »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#107909

Is it just me, or is the quote "I feel like we're getting screwed with our pants on" a bit inappropriate? Valid, yet not exactly proper for a city councellor to be saying.... lol.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Screwed with our pants on????

Post by grammafreddy »

Tero wrote:http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-107909-21-.htm#107909

Is it just me, or is the quote "I feel like we're getting screwed with our pants on" a bit inappropriate? Valid, yet not exactly proper for a city councellor to be saying.... lol.

"It is quite a conundrum for us," said Hopkin. "It blindsided us, and we feel they are taking advantage of us."

Perhaps now council will realize what the citizens feel like when hit with a large increase in any of the city's bills - power, garbage, water, etc.

I do agree with him, though - this is massive!!!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

If they provided a quote without including the 15% markup or mention of it, and the city made a good faith deposit on the basis of that quote, an argument could be made that their was a meeting of minds and a valid contract in place that does not include this markup. Fortis can go ****** themselves IMO.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I recall a few years back when the mayor at that time wanted to seriously investigate contracting out our Electrical Dept; assume it would have gone to Fortis. That would've also have meant no more funds from the Electrical dept to build up the reserves which we now are in need of. Good thing he came to his senses. We would also be under the two-tier Fortis billing system, had that taken place. Thankfully it did not. Any department in the city that MAKES money, you definitely want to keep them around. The city may be able to fight this extra charge from Fortis but if not, there are most certainly some capital projects that could be put on the back burner for now to make up the shortfall.
Pkunko
Fledgling

Re: "Screwed with our pants on"?

Post by Pkunko »

pentona wrote:Any department in the city that MAKES money, you definitely want to keep them around.

You realize that the electric dept. doesn't make the City money, they simply charge you more for a service than it costs them to provide.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

And their provider is Fortis. Grand Forks is the same - and until recently, so was Kelowna but they sold out to Fortis since Fortis was doing it all (except the billing) for them anyway.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Pkunko wrote:
You realize that the electric dept. doesn't make the City money, they simply charge you more for a service than it costs them to provide.

I don't know anything about the Electrical Dept here, other than it has been said before that funds from the Electrical Dept has helped build up a Surplus account in the city and that money from that is used for capital projects. Maybe they do charge more for it than Fortis charges them, not sure. I'm just glad that we aren't a two-tiered system under Fortis as I think our power is still cheaper than with another company.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

pentona wrote:I don't know anything about the Electrical Dept here, other than it has been said before that funds from the Electrical Dept has helped build up a Surplus account in the city and that money from that is used for capital projects. Maybe they do charge more for it than Fortis charges them, not sure. I'm just glad that we aren't a two-tiered system under Fortis as I think our power is still cheaper than with another company.

Two tier will come, just wait.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

'The forced "smart meters" that we are all getting is in preparation for a 2 tier system. Any power you save by turning of lights and appliances and using "green" bulbs etc is sold by Fortis on the open market where they get much better rates for their commodity...
3+141592

Post by 3+141592 »

I don't know where you reside but Penticton residents do not have/are not getting Smart Meters.
It is a comon misconception so you're not the first one to make this mistake. See this thread for more details:
http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=54428

Snarf wrote:'The forced "smart meters" that we are all getting is in preparation for a 2 tier system. Any power you save by turning of lights and appliances and using "green" bulbs etc is sold by Fortis on the open market where they get much better rates for their commodity...
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

Tero wrote:http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-107909-21-.htm#107909

It's just you.

I find a councillor actually saying it the way it is, to be refreshing.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

^^ x2

I'm sure they'll be some group "offended" by such an immoral choice of words that'll demand a public apology.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
totoro

Post by totoro »

It is not just you. I found it inappropriate and offensive. I'm not sure why that made it to print.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I'm not offended - it's how the governments and utilities make me feel all the time - screwed with my pants on. In this case it's one of the governments that's feeling screwed by one of the utilities. Now that councillor knows how the people feel when they keep upping rates on things and spending money foolishly.

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

totoro wrote:It is not just you. I found it inappropriate and offensive. I'm not sure why that made it to print.

Why would it not make it to print?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Central Okanagan”