Kettle Valley Railway Trail development proceeds

tommythecat
Fledgling

Kettle Valley Railway Trail development proceeds

Post by tommythecat »

PENTICTON - The Province, Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen and trail user groups have finalized a plan to enhance the Kettle Valley Rail (KVR) Trail network near Naramata and maintain motor vehicle access to Little Tunnel.

The decision to continue motor vehicle access to Little Tunnel came after the local user groups worked together with the Province and RDOS to address concerns and reach a consensus about the potential loss of access to important landmarks and cultural features for less able-bodied residents and visitors.

The popular six-kilometre section of the KVR between Naramata and Little Tunnel will be limited to non-motorized use. Restricting motor vehicles on this part will enhance the safety and recreation experience for pedestrians, cyclists and equestrians as well as maintain the newly resurfaced trail. The non-motorized designation of the trail between Naramata and Little Tunnel will come into effect this spring.

Motorized users, including licensed on-highway vehicles, will be able to continue accessing a five-kilometre section of the KVR between the Glenfir trail head and Little Tunnel. The province will enhance and maintain this part of the former rail corridor with safety improvements, construction of a parking area, turnaround signs and an accessible trail to the tunnel. The province will monitor motor vehicle traffic on this section for one year, and make any necessary changes to ensure the safety of all users.

Kettle Valley Rail Trail network map: http://ow.ly/tmiPzf

This follows recommendations from the local working group to initiate the first phase of the KVR Trail Concept Plan between Naramata and Glenfir. Designations and developments along parts of the KVR beyond Glenfir have not been finalized.

The province also continues to work with the off-road vehicle community on recreational opportunities, including the enhancement of staging areas, trails and riding opportunities, in the area between Naramata and Chute Lake. Motorized recreation remains an important backcountry activity, and the Province is committed to high-quality, world-class recreational trail opportunities for all users.

The provincial rail trails network across southern B.C. makes up more than half of the 1,600-kilometre Trans Canada Trail. These trails hold significant potential benefits for trail users and communities along the trail, including improved quality of life for residents and increased tourism revenues from visitors.

http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2014/02/k ... ceeds.html
Positive energy activates constant elevation
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Kettle Valley Railway Trail development proceeds

Post by Relentless »

Once again, a group of tree huggers(with heavy influence) sticking their noses into everyone's business.
Always wanting to spend more tax money to keep people out, even though they have allowed people for the last 50 years.
More Political crap!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I tend to agree that in general, the mixing of motorized and slower, non-motorized traffic on the same trail is a recipe for disaster. The wind-in-your-hair rush of cruising at speed is a huge part of motorized travel, and is not compatible with foot, cycle, or equestrian traffic. Just common sense in my mind to give each their own venue.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:I tend to agree that in general, the mixing of motorized and slower, non-motorized traffic on the same trail is a recipe for disaster. The wind-in-your-hair rush of cruising at speed is a huge part of motorized travel, and is not compatible with foot, cycle, or equestrian traffic. Just common sense in my mind to give each their own venue.

I don't think you understand, Fluffy how the KVR trail functions. I personally believe that the main reason for stopping motorized vehicles from using the KVR from Arawana Rd to the Little tunnel is because of the new material placed on it last year; they don't want it destroyed. If it had to do with safety, they would close the entire route but they are NOT. One will still be able to travel to Glenfir and then double back to the little tunnel that way in a car, truck, ATV, etc. This is not a bad plan; as it keeps part of the trail for non-motorized use only and still allows access to ALL people from the other end. The part that I disagree with is that horses do not cause damage to the trail bed; they most certainly do and especially on the edges of the new bed material.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Are there areas still open to motorized traffic where viable alternatives exist? I admit I haven't followed this issue closely but it seems like user safety should be the big priority.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:Are there areas still open to motorized traffic where viable alternatives exist? I admit I haven't followed this issue closely but it seems like user safety should be the big priority.

There are some areas where viable alternatives exist but not all. For instance you can get to chute lake via chute lake road and avoid the KVR but only on a vehicle carrying insurance. Dirt bikes, unlicensed ATVs etc would not be allowed. This is a case where a few morons on fast moving vehicles have caused cyclists and pedestrians some grief on the KVR; thus the complaints. I can see that but not ALL the people cause all the problems. I have personally never encountered a problem while driving my ATV on the KVR; I always slowed down so as not to create dust when I came upon pedestrians or cyclists and was usually greeted with a friendly wave of thanks. Too bad that everyone didn't show the same courtesy.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There are always cases of the " few bad apples" on both sides. Pedestrians acting unpredictably, easily spooked animals, gung-ho motorists, the list goes on. Is it more realistic to just keep them apart, or to expect the few problem users to fall in line because it's the right thing to do?
wanderingchef
Fledgling

Post by wanderingchef »

removed
Last edited by Jo on Feb 8th, 2014, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

fluffy wrote:I tend to agree that in general, the mixing of motorized and slower, non-motorized traffic on the same trail is a recipe for disaster. The wind-in-your-hair rush of cruising at speed is a huge part of motorized travel, and is not compatible with foot, cycle, or equestrian traffic. Just common sense in my mind to give each their own venue.

This restriction is heavily biased.
Dirt bike riders travelling at high rate of speeds create most of the damage, and ATV users get punished, because their ATV has a motor.
I have been travelling down the KVR for over a decade on my ATV and have never once showed disrespect to other users.
If I meet a bicycle, a person on foot, a horse, a dirt bike, another ATV, or even another vehicle, I always pull over and slow down to a walking speed, the same can't be said for motorbike riders, vehicles, and punks on some ATV's.

The KVR could be a shared roadway quite simply by posting signage with speed restrictions and "respect" signage.

Instead of trying this method first, the "tree huggers" decide "they can't be bothered" by compromising, they want their way and thats all, so with some Political pull, they get their way, and thats the end of story.

Also, the way I look at it, the KVR was created for motorized traffic, if the non-motorized users want to create a path to gently tread on, let them go for it, there is plenty of room for another 2 foot wide walking path, for them to use.

Sorry, if people can't compromise, without punishing the wrong people, my blood gets boiling.
Lets shut a road down to motorized traffic is about as stupid as it gets.
Like, lets shut a sidewalk down to pedestrians.

Like someone said, multi-users may create conflict.
Pedestrians don't belong on roads, motorized vehicles do!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Good points all, well maybe the it-was-built-for-motorized-let-it-stay-motorized is a bit of a stretch but the fact remains that once a trail is open to motorized traffic you are going to get hot-dogs moving at speed. These clowns will have as much respect for a sign as they do do for other users. If you can come up with a fool proof way to police these few then go for it, but frankly i can't see a mixed traffic plan working unless you go to some considerable expense to place barriers between the two groups. In a perfect world there would be things like mutual respect and responsible users, but realistically our world is far from perfect.

Return to “Central Okanagan”