Carmi Xski trails?

orchardcottage

Carmi Xski trails?

Post by orchardcottage »

Anyone been up there recently? Is there sufficient snow for a nice ski?
orchardcottage

Re: Carmi Xski trails?

Post by orchardcottage »

In case anyone is interested, we skied the trails yesterday, they are well used by snowshoers lower down, but if you can get to the top of the lookout loop and then over to the Peat Bog Loop, it was terrific! Great place to spend a couple of hours. Just enough new fluffy snow to cover the ice melt.
anna nymous

Post by anna nymous »

Hello Orchard Cottage -
is there a link to some maps of this Upper Carmi area?

who is responsible for the trails (is this Min of Environment or the Regional District or .... )

we like quiet trails with no motorized access - so is that what these are up there? I certainly don't want to take the kids up there to encounter a bunch of broken liquor bottles, old sofas, pallets and other bush party garbage.

are the trails accessible during non-snow season?

is it safe during hunting season (I've seen people shooting guns off the Trans Canada Trail at Myra area - so you never know around here - and I not being a hunter - I don't know the rules and regs - we just want to enjoy the beautiful Okanagan outdoors safely and peacefully)

thank you
BC Dave

Post by BC Dave »

I don't know if this situation has changed through clearer signage, but my wife and I got quite lost on those trails while snowshoeing a couple of years ago. One trail seemed to lead into another and the maps did not indicate "you are here." Eventually we found our way to an old road that put us back on Beaverdell Road above the parking lot. We encountered absolutely no one on our adventure. I have talked to other people who have found themselves nearly lost up there. I would suggest marking your trail as you go so you can find your way back if you don't have a GPS. I haven't had any desire to repeat our Carmi trails experience so we now go to the Snowflake loop area near Apex Resort.
anna nymous

Post by anna nymous »

thank you - i appreciate your information

and yes - you're right on the mark - always a good idea to have survey tape onboard along with blanket and water etc etc

do you know if these trails are summer-use as well?

we are looking for a little bit of wilderness that's close to town with a normal Suburu for family outing (we know Apex and Nickel Plate ---- and the KVR as far as Myra ) - sometimes it is nice to go up for some mountain air to a diff destination -- young people and older people in our family

do you know if there are wildflowers up there? (in the season, of course) - birds? (again, in season)
BC Dave

Post by BC Dave »

One place we enjoy going is to the reservoir (think it's the Ellis Creek reservoir) a few kilometers beyond the cross-country trails on the left-hand side of the road. It is a really neat area and with the low hills around it, appears very different than what one might expect from being less than half an hour away from Penticton. You can have a campfire if there isn't a fire ban on at the time and it's a very peaceful place.
orchardcottage

Post by orchardcottage »

Regarding your query about signage at the Carmi xcountry ski trails, the signs are brand new courtesy of Peach City Runners, we think. Google map quality and very well marked. You need to ski in about 300m or so to find the first very large and informative sign. There are a number of these signs as you go along. We had no trouble finding our way. We always carry our GPS but didn't need it for this trail system. As for summer, yes, accessible in the summer and is part of mountain biking trail system. If you are looking for trails, including this one, SweetSingletrack.ca site has a very good book that rates the trails that are available around the valley. You will have to purchase the book, probably available most of the outdoor shops, I would think.
anna nymous

Post by anna nymous »

thank you for your information everyone ---- we have tried to google this info - maybe you know -

who or which ministry / local gov't is ultimately responsible for these trails --- i am speaking of the ones near the "moose restaurant" up there - I have been there only once - lovely view for sure - we enjoyed the visit.

i ask out of curiosity - no other reason - we'd like to make more use of other locales since our neighboring trail at our house out north of Penticton (kvr) is kind of busy with various traffic and uses.

i wonder which wildflowers we might see up at these trails - birds - actually - is this about the same elevation as Chute Lake (above naramata)
LongHaul
Fledgling

Post by LongHaul »

http://www.hikingswbc.com/index.html

describes some of the trails near Penticton for hiking or biking. Go into the Penticton section.
Might be out of date in some places.
andrewdrouin

Okanagan Trails

Post by andrewdrouin »

What you my dear readers are looking for, is this;

www.sweetsingletrack.ca

This website is also a print publication and Apple / Android 'App'.

I created and installed the Carmi XC Trail maps a few years ago, but have become a little disillusioned with their upkeep, as local rednecks destroy / deface them as fast as I can replace them.

Between shotgunning the (expensive) signs, ripping them down or peeling off the "You Are Here" indicators, I'm at a loss to keep said signage effective and useful.

Your best bet is a GPS and / or smartphone, along with the downloadable tracks from SweetSingletrack.ca

SST is also a primary funding body for our trail-building, maintenance, signing and sanctioning group known as the South Okanagan Trail Alliance (SouthOkanaganTrailAlliance.com).

Andrew Drouin
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Okanagan Trails

Post by Bunnyhop »

andrewdrouin wrote:What you my dear readers are looking for, is this;

http://www.sweetsingletrack.ca

This website is also a print publication and Apple / Android 'App'.

I created and installed the Carmi XC Trail maps a few years ago, but have become a little disillusioned with their upkeep, as local rednecks destroy / deface them as fast as I can replace them.

Between shotgunning the (expensive) signs, ripping them down or peeling off the "You Are Here" indicators, I'm at a loss to keep said signage effective and useful.

Your best bet is a GPS and / or smartphone, along with the downloadable tracks from SweetSingletrack.ca

SST is also a primary funding body for our trail-building, maintenance, signing and sanctioning group known as the South Okanagan Trail Alliance (SouthOkanaganTrailAlliance.com).

Andrew Drouin

Andrew, I downloaded the app a few months ago but am struggling with using it. What do you mean by "downloadable tracks?" The commentary and description of each trail is helpful, but not enough to really follow along the trail. I was hoping the app would provide a gps mapping? What am I missing?

I tried logging into the website but don't remember my username and password.
andrewdrouin

Post by andrewdrouin »

Hi

The Apple App' does indeed have GPS capabilities built in. When you turn on the App, and select the orange bar titled 'Open Overview Map', a button on the bottom / center of the App is titled GPS OFF.
Select this button and it changes to GPS ON. A red marker appears onscreen displaying your location.

Any of the area sub-maps that you open while onsite will now display and plot your progress in realtime along the visually apparent GPS track onscreen.

The mention of "downloadabke tracks" is in reference to the website, sweetsingletrack.ca, available to site subscribers and print publication purchasers.

The App does not require downloadable tracks, as they are already built-into the App.

Andrew
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Ok, thanks! I have only played with the app at home, so that's why the functionality wasn't apparent. Maybe this weekend we'll have a chance to get out for a hike.

Is the $10 annual subscription for the app too, or just the website?
andrewdrouin

Post by andrewdrouin »

Nope, just subscriptions for the website. The $10 subscription fee goes into wood (bridges) fastners (galvonized, of all manner) fuel, oil and chainsaw blades, power-tools for the bush (chainsaws, electric saws, brush trimmers), signage, posts etc.

Andrew

Return to “North Okanagan”