Bus crash, passengers trapped

DaveC
Board Meister

Bus crash, passengers trapped

Post by DaveC »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-109566-21-.htm#109566

She says the bus ended up in the ditch, laying partially on its side. The door to the passenger side door of the bus was unable to open, meaning everyone was stuck inside until help arrived.

<stuff deleted>

When emergency personnel finally arrived two hours later they had to cut out the windows and build a ramp for passengers to get out.

“They had to saw off the front of the bus. There was no way of getting out, we were completely stuck. We weren’t in any imminent danger, but we couldn’t get out.”

Um, Excuse me? Isn't every window on a bus an emergency exit? WTH?

Also:
“(The driver) said he had no way of contacting anyone. So he basically just sat there and waited for someone to drive by, and then that person drove ahead until they had service and called 911.”

Ok so cell phones and radios aren't too great in the mountains, but isn't it reasonable to have a check-in schedule? If the driver fails to report in then someone goes looking for the bus. Hell I do that with a friend every time I drive through the mountains! You'd think a professional organisation would have that figured out by now.

Not too impressed with Greyhound right now.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Bus crash, passengers trapped

Post by Bsuds »

DaveC wrote:Ok so cell phones and radios aren't too great in the mountains, but isn't it reasonable to have a check-in schedule? If the driver fails to report in then someone goes looking for the bus. Hell I do that with a friend every time I drive through the mountains! You'd think a professional organisation would have that figured out by now.

Not too impressed with Greyhound right now.

From the story

"“This other charter, it wasn’t a Greyhound bus, and just our luck it didn’t have a radio or anything on it,” explained Siemens.

“(The driver) said he had no way of contacting anyone. So he basically just sat there and waited for someone to drive by, and then that person drove ahead until they had service and called 911.” "
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I'm thinking that the reason a bus like that was even on Hwy 5A at all was due to a closure on the connector. If that was the case then he may not have been overdue yet.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Seriously - no emergency exit at all?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Uhmmmm.. what about the semi that they swerved to avoid? Couldn't he have called it in? Me thinks there's something fishy here.
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

The bus would have had roof top and window escape exits, it's a castanet story short of facts as usual,
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Not to mention that the latest story has an empty Shriner bus arriving ten minutes after the bus slid off the road, and yet it took 2 hours to get the rescue workers there?

Something's off about this story.......
DaveC
Board Meister

Post by DaveC »

Ya lots of conflicting and confusing info.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Return to “Central Okanagan”