A new slate of municipal candidates

DblDwn11
Fledgling

A new slate of municipal candidates

Post by DblDwn11 »

Believe it or not, another municipal election is right around the corner.

I thought it would be good fun to start discussing who would we would like to see leading us...I personally don't think our current council is electable again, with a couple of exceptions. So let's review:

Mayor Garry Litke. So far, Garry has lead us into a tax increase, spent needless dollars on renovations at silly hall and the deer relocation debacle. My grade E-. I wouldn't bring him back.

John Vassilaki. Ironically the voice of reason. Who knew. Voted against the hockey dorm, a tax increase and seems to be getting smarter with age. My grade C-. Worth another term.

Katie Robinson. Waste of time. My grade: F. Thanks for coming out.

Wes Hopkin. Rumour mill says he isn't running for a 2nd term.

Andrew Jakubeit: Smart, articulate. Worth another term. Potential mayoral candidate. My grade:B

Helena Konanz: Assuming she doesn't throughly read her binder given to her by city staff prior to meeting's. Asks questions and makes comments that leave me scratching my head. My grade: D

Judy Sentes. Once again, rumour mill tells me she isn't pursuing another term.

So, I speculate four openings. So, who would you like to see on the ballot and why? Let's try and convince some good people to carefully consider putting their name forward.

I'll begin. Andre Martin. Quality resume managing a reputable business. Community involvement is impressive. I think he would strike a reasonable balance between business and social concerns.
livewire
Fledgling

Re: A new slate of municipal candidates

Post by livewire »

I wholeheartedly agree with your Andre Martin choice!!

As far as your comments on the others, the only grade I would change is Vasalaki. I'd give him a B - opinionated and not afraid to take a stand and speak up. I may not always agree with what he stands for but at least he's committed when he makes a decision.

In case Wes Hopkin decides to run again - I'd give him an F. I voted for him the first time because I thought it would be a good idea to have fresh young faces on council. After reading his latest responses in the newspaper I'm done with him. Would not vote for him again, needs to go out and get some education from the school of hard knocks.

When is the deadline for submissions?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

2muh info .. I couldn't agree with you more. Mr. Martin has played the look how involved I am in the community well. Perception vs. reality. I believe there are a number of good people out there who would make excellent candidates. There is also one individual who is well known to this site. He presses my buttons often with his posts, however, the more I read the more I respect some the things he says. I'm talking about Twobits. As far as mr. Martin ... I ain't being fooled.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

I'd go with twobits as well. He (she?) seems to have a good grasp of issues and has a logical approach to things.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 26th, 2014, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
Captain77
Fledgling

Post by Captain77 »

Jakubeit would make a great mayor. Quiet but confident and assertive when he needs to be. Hard working, and not out for the photo ops and glory, but to get the job done.
Vassilaki - thinks the world of himself.
Konanz - Works hard, politically astute
Hopkin - Keeps things interesting. I liked his responses to the herald questions.
Sentes - Well connected, but not sure how effective she is.
Litke - He is giving it a good shot, and people are not giving him a fair shake. Still think Jakubeit would be best mayor.
Robinson - taking a long time getting her feet on the ground.

Andre Martin - visible, but is there more than that?
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Captain77 wrote:Jakubeit would make a great mayor. Quiet but confident and assertive when he needs to be. Hard working, and not out for the photo ops and glory, but to get the job done.
Vassilaki - thinks the world of himself.
Konanz - Works hard, politically astute
Hopkin - Keeps things interesting. I liked his responses to the herald questions.
Sentes - Well connected, but not sure how effective she is.
Litke - He is giving it a good shot, and people are not giving him a fair shake. Still think Jakubeit would be best mayor.
Robinson - taking a long time getting her feet on the ground.

Andre Martin - visible, but is there more than that?

I see the ONLY one that will most certainly get back in is Vassalaki and thats only because he will get the Senior's vote. The rest of them have a record of being the worst council in recent history in my opinion (note - attack the record; not the people); they cannot get along, dont seem to be trying to head in the same direction at all and a couple of them are in conflict when voting on downtown issues where they own businesses. Andre Martin might be a bit of a breath of fresh air. Challenge Penticton, Hockey Dorm, Bike lanes, Downtown revitilization and the Deer issue have plagued this council (and some previous ones) and these folks don't seem to be able to dig themselves out of a very deep hole. The 2014 budget in my opinion was terrible; rushed through; slash and burn with out any consideration of the consequences. That budget did not HAVE to be completed until Spring; they rammed that through for whatever reason far too fast and then when Fortis hit them with an extra $750,000 in the new year, they cried Foul and say that they were caught off guard. Maybe they should've taken more time and not insisted on finishing it by mid December. I note that other cities; even the RDOS has not completed their 2014 budget yet. A clean slate would be very nice but unlikely to happen. At least half of them should be given their walking papers in my opinion.

Return to “Central Okanagan”