A letter to all the past city council members of Penticton

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: A letter to all the past city council members of Pentict

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

^^ Who cares about Castanet when there's sunshine and golf to be had?
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

ToddT wrote:So - we're two working parents with two school aged children. What's your point? If we can't make it so everyone can use it, then we shouldn't be calling it the Community Centre and it should be privatized. What the hell am I paying for as a taxpayer if we're also paying user fees?

Because why the hell should I pay more beause I happen to be married and working than someone who chooses to be single and unemployed and have children they can't afford? There's enough social programs to choke a horse in this town.... free passes through various organizations and Jumpstart is here to pay for any fees one can't afford it otherwise.

I dont' think I should get to use it for free and I don't have an issue to pay for it (after all, we need to pay for upkeep, wages etc.) however, I SHOULD NOT BE paying as much as I am, because what we're doing is subsidizing those who can't pay. And we subsidize everywhere.... school fees, sports team fees, bus passes, etc.

Of course there are those who are in genuine need, but Penticton is FULL of people with a "Poor me, the world owes me a living!" mentality.
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

twobits wrote:Who needs a gym with 3 school aged kids?? Sleep and rest are on the wish list, not riding a bike.

The only service we use is the big pool. And we pay for it. Other than that we exercise outside in this beautiful area!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

ToddT wrote:

So - we're two working parents with two school aged children. What's your point? If we can't make it so everyone can use it, then we shouldn't be calling it the Community Centre and it should be privatized.

Everybody can use it Todd but the reality is only a fraction of the population does or even wants to. You should be thankful that the rest of us are willing to contribute to the capital cost of building it plus the lions share of it's operating costs. If the "community" were not subsidizing it, and it were privatized as you say it should be, then I can guarantee you that you would be paying 10 or 12 bucks to get in vs the 4 you pony up now. Be grateful the community has this resourse you can use for far below the actual cost. The option is the real cost or nothing. What do you prefer?

ToddT wrote:
What the hell am I paying for as a taxpayer if we're also paying user fees?

Perhaps I should ask you why I have to pay school taxes when I have not had kids in school for many years? It's called a civilized society Todd were we share common burdens like education and healthcare. A swim in the pool or time in the gym is not quite the same and we should have to pony up a fraction of the cost of leisure activities.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “Central Okanagan”