RDOS Cracking Down on Illegal Signs

my5cents
Guru

RDOS Cracking Down on Illegal Signs

Post by my5cents »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#110798

I hate billboards. I hate ugly signs at the side of the road.

I also hate different laws for different "classes" of Canadians.

I can pay a billionaire to erect a huge sign touting my business, as long as the sign is on Native land adjacent to the highway. Two miles down the road, perhaps nearer my business, I can't pay an orchardist to place a smaller sign on his property.

Are signs only ugly when on non native land ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
ToddT
Übergod

Re: RDOS Cracking Down on Illegal Signs

Post by ToddT »

I'm not against billboards but the smattering of signs between Oliver/Osoyoos is a little ridiculous. It's hard to even read them all if you are actually looking for something. I guess you could liken it to texting and driving?
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

I actually like all the signs in that area. I think it lends itself to the "culture" of purchasing fruit and veggies direct from the farmer. I would much rather see all of those funky signs than the bombardment of signs going into Kelowna. Now THAT is unsightly.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Bunnyhop wrote:I actually like all the signs in that area. I think it lends itself to the "culture" of purchasing fruit and veggies direct from the farmer. I would much rather see all of those funky signs than the bombardment of signs going into Kelowna. Now THAT is unsightly.

And the signs down South on the farmer's / orchardist's lands will be gone and the billboard farm, mostly courtesy of billionaire Patison, will remain. I don't know how many visitors I've had who have expressed surprise at the eye sore as they drove Northbound on 97 to the floating bridge.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

i dont pay attention to any signs...anyone that does is a hazard on the road.

But as for the signs for the farmers another kick in the teeth. How are they able to advertise that this farm or that farm sells their fruit there.

I guess the only way to get around that is to wrap a vehicle and park it on their orchard facing the road with the advertising on it. then it will start looking like a car lot of parked advertising....not technically a sign or billboard.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Do these signs that are being removed require permits, and/or are they paid for? I think the playing field should be level for any form of advertising.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

ToddT wrote:Do these signs that are being removed require permits, and/or are they paid for? I think the playing field should be level for any form of advertising.

Well it's not. Billboards aren't allowed, there is no way to get a permit. The prohibition doesn't extend to Native land. Thus the "beautiful" billboard farm all along Hwy 97 approaching the floating bridge.
Last edited by my5cents on Apr 17th, 2014, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

my5cents wrote: Well it's not. Billboards aren't allowed, there is no way to get a permit. The prohibition does extend to Native land. Thus the "beautiful" billboard farm all along Hwy 97 approaching the floating bridge.

There are all kinds of prohibitions it seems that do not extend to native lands. I can think of a number of "business enterprises" that because of their activities, would never be allowed on non reserve lands. A used oil dump fronting as a recycler, sandblasting with no regard as to where the blasted paint goes come to mind as quick local examples. I can't help but think of these examples when a roadblock goes up to protect traditional territory. To borrow a cliché, speaking with forked tongues.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

Has anyone travelled some USA roads and highways littered with huge billboards. How ugly. I do think however that for a farmer to post a sign in front of their property advertising their produce is ok. Its the huge billboards everywhere from large businesses. and whether its on reserve land or not the same rules should apply to everyone.
If we ask the right questions we can change the world with the right answers

Return to “Central Okanagan”