Penticton Backyard Chickens

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Penticton Backyard Chickens

Post by Fancy »

livewire wrote:My neighbour on the island had hens, there were never any issues.... ;)
Used to wake up to a rooster call and enjoyed getting fresh eggs but the place shut down a few years ago. Never had them next door to me but I'd be willing to give it a chance.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

As with so many things there is lots of information that never seems to be thought out (do I dare mention the deer culling attempts)

So City will do a pilot.I have nothing against concept per se. But like many things ideas fall flat on the implementation. What is City going to use as measurements of its success or failure?

At risk of sounding petty....
Will they be able to know how many more mice/rats are attracted by the chicken feed ?
Will they be able to measure if the backyard chickens are attracting more coyotes into the city?
Will they measure noise/smell complaints from neighbours?
Will they measure the extra flies attracted by the chicken manure that will no doubt be a nuisance to neighbours?
Will they measure the number of chickens that get away or are dropped off at SPCA or in countryside when people get tired of them or chickens stop producing eggs?
Where will chicken manure be disposed of?. Anyone who says it doesn't smell, has not cleaned out a chicken coop.

What controls are being put in for this pilot?
any limit on number of chickens a household can have?
any requirements for types of feeders to discourage attraction of mice and rats to grain?
any requirements to ensure secure containment and housing for the chickens?
any limits or controls to the 'selling of eggs' (running backyard as commercial activity)
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

That's a whole lot of worry about a few chickens.
On a different forum
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Rosemary1 wrote:As with so many things there is lots of information that never seems to be thought out (do I dare mention the deer culling attempts)

So City will do a pilot.I have nothing against concept per se. But like many things ideas fall flat on the implementation. What is City going to use as measurements of its success or failure?

At risk of sounding petty....
Will they be able to know how many more mice/rats are attracted by the chicken feed ?
Will they be able to measure if the backyard chickens are attracting more coyotes into the city?
Will they measure noise/smell complaints from neighbours?
Will they measure the extra flies attracted by the chicken manure that will no doubt be a nuisance to neighbours?
Will they measure the number of chickens that get away or are dropped off at SPCA or in countryside when people get tired of them or chickens stop producing eggs?
Where will chicken manure be disposed of?. Anyone who says it doesn't smell, has not cleaned out a chicken coop.

What controls are being put in for this pilot?
any limit on number of chickens a household can have?
any requirements for types of feeders to discourage attraction of mice and rats to grain?
any requirements to ensure secure containment and housing for the chickens?
any limits or controls to the 'selling of eggs' (running backyard as commercial activity)

Vernon introduced a simpler bylaw to allow chickens. That was several years ago, and they have not had any significant problems.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Just tell them chickens are pets ...

__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

...and chickens are REALLY good mousers!!
Chill
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

How true.
One of my chickens was running around the pen with something swinging from it's beak-and all the chickens were running after it!
Upon closer look I could see it was a mouse. They all wanted it, and we never did find it in the pen. I'm assuming they ate it. lol
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

0gopogo wrote:How true.
One of my chickens was running around the pen with something swinging from it's beak-and all the chickens were running after it!
Upon closer look I could see it was a mouse. They all wanted it, and we never did find it in the pen. I'm assuming they ate it. lol

Lol, anyone that knows anything about chickens will tell you that they are extremely diversified in their diet choices. I have even seen them make short work of out of two foot rattlesnakes. Mice and rats might go after stored grain or feed in a building, but entering a chicken run would be tantamount to suicide.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

I think the entire original post of this thread speaks to a clear lack of basic knowledge regarding chickens and the rearing of. It's normal to fear that which you do not understand....
On a different forum

Return to “Central Okanagan”