PIB Development - Thumbs-up! (maybe)

Daspoot
Übergod

PIB Development - Thumbs-up! (maybe)

Post by Daspoot »

Great to see some initiative being taken by the PIB to develop some prime land starting by improving access. The picture clearly shows the oxbows I think they should re-flood as part of a great tourist area! Motels, campgrounds, parks and restaurants etc. serving people on oxbows seasonally connected and floatable from the channel would put that part of the city on the map and be a real draw to Penticton.

In fact with some creativity the bridge over the channel could be boardwalk style and also present some very unique opportunities for the Band, the City and the Okanagan in general.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-111376-21-.htm#111376

Sadly I fear it's just wishful thinking on my my part, and it'll likely just end up big box stores and other businesses with little or no creative thought behind them. And the oxbow idea, well I know that's just pie-in-the-sky, such a thing would never be allowed to happen as any sort of fun has long ago, and ever since, been outlawed.

Still it's fun to dream.
On a different forum
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: PIB Development - Thumbs-up! (maybe)

Post by rustled »

Daspoot wrote:The picture clearly shows the oxbows I think they should re-flood as part of a great tourist area!

From what I understand, the oxbows have some invasive species in them. The Friends of the Oxbows are trying to rehabilitate all of the oxbows, if possible, but they're not sure reconnecting any of them will ever be feasible. (It seems to me the oxbows ought to be quite reedy in order to do their job--filtration and habitat--so not great for floating. Might be best to leave them separate?)

I agree that it would be great to see some really nice development in the area, too. More Osoyoos-like, maybe.
---
Edited to add: I was wrong. That's at least twice today! The FOTO prospectus here http://members.shaw.ca/pentictonoxbows/Documents.html
says they are hoping to reconnect at least one loop.

Cool little website; shows you a bit more of the history/importance of the oxbows, and what the group is trying to do.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
argamedius1970

Post by argamedius1970 »

I'm actually not in favour of ANY development in that area, or any area that houses habitat that is endangered. I admire PIBs vision of becoming more 'self-sufficient' in their goals to develop on land that is open and ready, however, looking at habitat that could be affected is something they need to think about BEFORE developing.
When we see the deer problem, and possible habitat that includes water animals, it's quite possible that the livelihood of the species that have been there for years, are going to be affected in the wrong way. Moving them is another problem, as well as the trails that the 'deer' used. What to do... what to do...
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

This is the Channel Crossing development that has been ongoing for several years now. Big mistake IMO. Retail is hardly surviving in Penticton now as it is. Coming soon......West Kelowna commercial model with box stores that close their doors after a year.
Hotel is not a bad idea though. Housing would be another smart alternative. Commercial, ain't gonna work and if by some miracle it does, it will be reflected in empty buildings that pay city taxes on this side of the channel.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

It's a good thing the Channel Crossing hadn't developed yet. They can see that the big box model isn't working (a la WFN). By the way, it wasn't developed because the bridge was a necessary piece of infrastructure, not for lack of trying either. This has been a goal for twenty years now. There is residential going above the airport (Skaha Hills), so IMO, enhance and work with the COP development plan, having smaller urban villages with this area just being one more pocket for residents to enjoy with possibly more sensible retail, hospitality, and blend in recreation with the natural environment would be a smart idea. It would be a great way to get the tourists off the highway and draw them in.
I hope with the development, the channel walkway will be revitalized as this could be turned into an alternate transportation artery with the access across the bridge for bikes and pedestrians.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

rustled wrote:From what I understand, the oxbows have some invasive species in them.

Do tell, what species? is it only isolated to the oxbows?
On a different forum
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Dawnland wrote:It's a good thing the Channel Crossing hadn't developed yet. They can see that the big box model isn't working (a la WFN). By the way, it wasn't developed because the bridge was a necessary piece of infrastructure, not for lack of trying either. This has been a goal for twenty years now. There is residential going above the airport (Skaha Hills), so IMO, enhance and work with the COP development plan, having smaller urban villages with this area just being one more pocket for residents to enjoy with possibly more sensible retail, hospitality, and blend in recreation with the natural environment would be a smart idea. It would be a great way to get the tourists off the highway and draw them in.
I hope with the development, the channel walkway will be revitalized as this could be turned into an alternate transportation artery with the access across the bridge for bikes and pedestrians.

Can't disagree with what you say however everything to date, including this most recent press release does not point to development along the lines you present. There is no mention of urban village, or housing period. This land is physically blocked by the airport in relation to the Skaha Hills development so an integration there is impossible. All that has been presented to date, including several billboard signs, is commercial leasing space in the multiple thousands of square feet. That sure sounds like the Westbank model to me. I could support your model Dawnland, just not so sure the people with the shovels are on the same page.
Half a million in taxpayer funds to support a strictly private commercial venture, if that is what it becomes, doesn't sit well with me either. As a PIB member, if you have inside knowledge of a change in direction for the vision of these lands, myself and many others I am sure would like to hear what you might be able to share.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

rustled wrote:From what I understand, the oxbows have some invasive species in them.

Daspoot wrote:Do tell, what species? ...

Primarily noxious weeds, but I recall talk of at least one kind of critter (they don't specify on their website, so I'm trying to remember--ow! it hurts--what I was told; I think it was carp/koi?)
Daspoot wrote:...is it only isolated to the oxbows?

I doubt it. FOTO's proceeding cautiously, though, because in their efforts to do something good (rehabilitate wetland), they don't want to help spread something bad.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Dawnland wrote:They can see that the big box model isn't working (a la WFN).

I'd hoped this was so, but on the radio this morning they mentioned Costco and Home Depot. If that's the way they're still headed, what a shame.
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

I find it interesting that being Federal funding our MP was not front and centre in the announcement. Usually politicians jump at an opportunity to have their face on the front page. Does he not want to be associated with this story?
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

I fear many here are correct and it will be just more retail sprawl and big-box shuffle. Imagination and creativity have long been absent from any development in the Okanagan, be it F.N.land or not.

Anything, fun, creative or even progressive is usually squashed at community meetings.
On a different forum
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

I'd hoped this was so, but on the radio this morning they mentioned Costco and Home Depot. If that's the way they're still headed, what a shame.[/quote]

It must be an early April fools joke, as if a Costco is going to open in Penticton, good luck with anything in the new proposed retail spaces, did everyone forget that it is Penticton and business sucks there to be frank. Is the Penticton band trying to make it look like Westbank, a bunch of empty retail spaces that will never be leased and some that are leased end up gone within months!
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

Daspoot, rustled and twobits;
I have to agree that by the way it sounds, this will be a retail wasteland in no time flat. There is always going to be some big-box sniffing around showing interest but when they look at the economics of the area, they'll turn tail and run.
The Big-box jumbo stores are closing by the hundreds every week and they're looking at ways to change it up. They're not interested in building these monstrosities any more, and because the land this is developing on isn't subject to stringent zoning issues, stores are able to work with the developer to build an inclusive retail environment that incorporates the natural setting. (I can only hope and believe this to be true or else no one is going to be making any money. Supply and demand)
In the original proposal made to PIB community from the developers of both projects (Channel Crossing and Skaha Hills), stuff has changed and some quite dramatically. The land in that area (Channel Crossing) belongs to CP land holders so isn't under any jurisdiction to the Band either, that's how stuff like Boonstock can happen, they can develop and plan without consulting anyone. The good about that is, it doesn't have to go to referendum each time something changes, they don't even need to make any variance applications which means warp speed once that bridge is in.
The is a new venture with the potential to add to the city revenue stream, look how the revitalization of the west side of Skaha has just totally taken off. Road access can expand from there and walking paths can be developed to encourage access from various point. Moving forward together, we can mould the landscape for smart growth. Sure it's a risk, but right about now with the shape of the COP economy, a risk just might pay off.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Dawnland wrote:Daspoot, rustled and twobits;
I have to agree that by the way it sounds, this will be a retail wasteland in no time flat. There is always going to be some big-box sniffing around showing interest but when they look at the economics of the area, they'll turn tail and run.
The Big-box jumbo stores are closing by the hundreds every week and they're looking at ways to change it up. They're not interested in building these monstrosities any more, and because the land this is developing on isn't subject to stringent zoning issues, stores are able to work with the developer to build an inclusive retail environment that incorporates the natural setting. (I can only hope and believe this to be true or else no one is going to be making any money. Supply and demand)
In the original proposal made to PIB community from the developers of both projects (Channel Crossing and Skaha Hills), stuff has changed and some quite dramatically. The land in that area (Channel Crossing) belongs to CP land holders so isn't under any jurisdiction to the Band either, that's how stuff like Boonstock can happen, they can develop and plan without consulting anyone. The good about that is, it doesn't have to go to referendum each time something changes, they don't even need to make any variance applications which means warp speed once that bridge is in.
The is a new venture with the potential to add to the city revenue stream, look how the revitalization of the west side of Skaha has just totally taken off. Road access can expand from there and walking paths can be developed to encourage access from various point. Moving forward together, we can mould the landscape for smart growth. Sure it's a risk, but right about now with the shape of the COP economy, a risk just might pay off.

I like your vision, Dawnland. I hope you (and/or people who think like you do) are in a position to influence the direction this development takes.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

My thoughts are that this is a huge opportunity for something other than the same old-same old. With the freedoms that come with developing on F.N. lands, they could make something "different" happen. I don't think that what will likely happen, but the opportunity is definitely there..

If anyone from The PIB is reading this, you've got a chance to do so much more than Retail Sprawl. Throw caution to the wind and thumb your noses at the old-fogey status-quo in the OK Valley. Be different, dare to make it something special. I don't think it takes a ton more money, just a different attitude from the get-go. If you want some inspiration, go take a look at downtown Nelson, or Coombs, of other towns that draw people to them not with retail wastelands, but with some culture, character and life!

good luck, I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Hell, I've even put my money where my mouth is, and if it's got some real style I'll put a branch of my shop in there, preferably on an Oxbow ;)
On a different forum

Return to “Central Okanagan”