Irony: Postal union not using postal service

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Irony: Postal union not using postal service

Post by rustled »

I received something interesting with my newspaper today. It's a letter from the Canadian Union of Postal Workers asking me to help save Canada Post Home Delivery. (It comes complete with the usual examples of the devastation my community will experience if we have to resort to box delivery. The horror! I had box delivery in the last two communities I lived in, and somehow we survived. But I digress.)

Does anyone else see the irony in this being delivered via the newspaper, instead of via Canada Post?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
pentona
Übergod

Re: Irony: Postal union not using postal service

Post by pentona »

Not odd at all. Canada Post would never allow a union flyer to be delivered via their own system that would go against what Canada Post is trying to do. The union got the message out in the method available to them. Good for them.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Canada Post wouldn't care what they deliver.

Newspaper flyer is just way cheaper than unaddressed admail.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

Captain Awesome wrote:Canada Post wouldn't care what they deliver.

Newspaper flyer is just way cheaper than unaddressed admail.

Is this fact or speculation?

Why would Canada Post promote a protest against themselves? Don't forget Canada Post and their employees have an acrimonious relationship.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Midnite wrote:Is this fact or speculation?

That's a fact. Delivering all those flyers by mail would probably quadruple the cost for them.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Why do radio stations advertise on tv? Why do tv stations advertise on radio? Why do newspapers advertise on radio? Why does the RDOS use Canada Post? Why does the RDOS use newspaper advertising? Why does Cherry Lane Shopping Centre use transit advertising? Folks ... plain and simple .. its called advertising and usually there is a good reason why each organization uses a specific medium to get their message out. Don't make it something it isn't.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

southy wrote:Why do radio stations advertise on tv? Why do tv stations advertise on radio? Why do newspapers advertise on radio? Why does the RDOS use Canada Post? Why does the RDOS use newspaper advertising? Why does Cherry Lane Shopping Centre use transit advertising? Folks ... plain and simple .. its called advertising and usually there is a good reason why each organization uses a specific medium to get their message out. Don't make it something it isn't.

Maybe, but when TV, radio and news pay their competition, that's ongoing marketing. (The RDOS and Cherry Lane aren't in the business of delivering mail and packages, so they're not hiring their own competition.)

The postal employees' package was delivered by their employer's direct competition. This told me that either the service provided by their own brethren is too expensive for them to use for a once-in-a-blue-moon expenditure, or that they'd rather pay someone else than up their own raison d'etre, or both. Even if I wasn't enjoying a good relationship with my employer, I'd be a little considerate of where my paycheque comes from. Pollyannaish, I suppose.

And I guess it's just me!
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

They are going to use whatever medium is most cost effective while reaching the target audience they are after. Do you reach the same conclusion when you see an ad on television for Canada Post?
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Irony: Union office buildings constructed by non union contractors only. You know, costs less that way.

L %$#^ing O L
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Wow!! Really???? YA %$*ing E A
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

southy wrote:They are going to use whatever medium is most cost effective while reaching the target audience they are after. Do you reach the same conclusion when you see an ad on television for Canada Post?

I suppose I would, if television was in the business of delivering things directly to me, as opposed to advertising. But as I say, southy, it's obviously just me.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Rustled .. think I know how you are looking at this and in some ways I agree it can look rather strange. I don't know if Cp refused to deliver union info or if union refused to use Cp because of what is happening. Kind of interesting isn't 't it.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Yeah; might be that acrimonious relationship Midnite referred to? Or a cost saving measure? Kind of says "Use the competition--we do!" Not ideal message from the union. Or, if it was CP, they're turning down a paid gig: "Use the competition--we don't want your business." Just doesn't seem like good business sense from either side.

BUT I may also have been entirely wrong about how it got through my door: it could have been hand-delivered by volunteers, and just happened to show up at the same time as the Western. Did yours come in your paper, too?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

To be honest I don't recall seeing it t all. I do read the Western but didn't see anything from the union in it.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

It was an envelope with a couple of sheets of paper in it, so it should have been pretty noticeable--so heck, it looks like I was wrong about how it was delivered. Could have been delivered by someone else entirely. If so, I certainly stand corrected.

Return to “Central Okanagan”