So how may hundred thousand $ did Challenge Triathlon lose?

Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

So how may hundred thousand $ did Challenge Triathlon lose?

Post by Thinktank »

I heard challenge triathlon lost $400,000.

Is this true?

It's not going to make money in the future. And if hotels made money during that weekend, the hotels should pay
the cost of losing all that money. Who is going to pay for it anyway?

But our population is aging and we don't give a hoot about seeing a bunch of guys ride their bikes down mainstreet.
Maybe twenty years ago it was exciting, but now it's boring - and a waste of time. It'll never make money.
Triathlons are like newspapers - obsolete.

And I don't want to be paying for it.

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Daspoot
Übergod

Re: So how may hundred $thousand did Challenge triathlon los

Post by Daspoot »

Sigh, I don't even know where to start replying to your post.

Let's just quote this so it can live forever as a shining example of some of the "other" thought processes faced by anyone who tries to do anything interesting in this Valley:

if hotels made money during that weekend, the hotels should pay the cost of losing all that money.
On a different forum
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

real interesting valley we live in.

we got a SOEC that loses a few $million each year.

I think we have to stop getting fooled continually into buying things that lose money.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I hear two guys want to buy the Challenge Race here. I say sell it to them as long as they take all future debt with the purchase.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

SOEC is a whole other ball of wax.

Challenge wise, it's good enough for a couple of guys to make an offer to buy it, so it can't be all bad. As with most new ventures, profit isn't always something you count on or expect the first few years. Usually you have to spend some money to make money.

A couple of questions to help cut through the sensationalism of headlines about losing money etc.

1 - What was it's financial performance compared to projections?

2 - Yes there was a bill at the end of it, how does that compare with all the money brought in and spent in town that week?
On a different forum
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Daspoot wrote:SOEC is a whole other ball of wax.

Challenge wise, it's good enough for a couple of guys to make an offer to buy it, so it can't be all bad. As with most new ventures, profit isn't always something you count on or expect the first few years. Usually you have to spend some money to make money.

A couple of questions to help cut through the sensationalism of headlines about losing money etc.

1 - What was it's financial performance compared to projections?

2 - Yes there was a bill at the end of it, how does that compare with all the money brought in and spent in town that week?

If the Challenge race is a private business, and two guys want to buy it, why not sell it to them...lock, stock and barrel? Our city should not be continually funding private business...if so, then other businesses in town will want a piece of the city funds in order to stay afloat. I do recall that Ironman wanted more money and that was the reason that Penticton chose to let them go, however I wonder if it mightve been less money than funding Challenge? Where is that politician that really was behind the change? Oh ya, he went to Victoria.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Thinktank wrote:
I think we have to stop getting fooled continually into buying things that lose money.

Do you mean things like apple orchardists that are aways on the taxpayer teat for replant programs, sterile insect program? Tell me tank, why do I have to pay for sterile moths so you don't have to spray, when I don't even eat apples! They give me terrible gas so the wife has banished them from the house. But I do go to the SOEC, and watch the Challenge Race so I guess that squares us up.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “Central Okanagan”