Westjet Encore Penticton-Calgary

XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: Westjet Encore Penticton-Calgary

Post by XT225 »

There was a good "Slumpy" letter in the Herald today, strongly supporting the idea that the RDOS and not the City should pay for the WJ expenses. The city already pays 40% into the RDOS budget anyways. Perhaps our mayor overstepped his boundaries when the city went ahead with this agreement. Of course its interesting that he is also on the RDOS board; I wonder if he even brought the idea up to the RDOS that THEY might want to pay the costs? It's very evident exactly WHO presently owns and operates the Penticton Airport but I came across this memo online (its easy to google) that indicates that the Feds are once again wishing to go ahead with transfer of ownership of the Airport. If the mods feel the memo is too sensitive, they may choose to remove it but its out there for anyone to find, so it should be Public Knowledge.

http://www.rdosmaps.bc.ca/min_bylaws/co ... irport.pdf
lakesailor

Post by lakesailor »

Here is some general info. on the Penticton airport.

1. Yes, Transport Canada pays an annual grant-in lieu to the City of Penticton each year

2. The City, since the 70’s, has provided sanitary sewer service to the airport and receives annual revenue from the improvements on airport lands for this service.

3. The City does not currently provide water to the Airport as the airport has its own water system
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

This is part of an article in today's Western paper. I find it strange that since the City does not own, nor operate the airport, how can they negotiate things like landing fees? I believe Transport Canada collects those?

The mayor noted he’s had discussions with the Thompson Okanagan Tourism Association and neighbouring politicians and is confident they will help foot the bill.

“There will be, I’m sure, a willingness on the part of all the communities to share the responsibility for that financial commitment,” Litke said.

He also confirmed the city is negotiating airport costs with WestJet and is likely to waive the $300 landing fee, which would amount to $109,500 annually.

The article went on to say that Air Canada still has NOT decided whether or not they might establish an Eastern connection here. Then why the big rush? Did our mayor offer them an $100,000 incentive? At least with AC there would be NO need for renos at the airport; with WJ there will be and THEY wont be paying for it...so who will? The City taxpayers? This issue is starting to really irritate some of us as any costs should be spread out amoung the entire Regional area. I still say that AC would be the better airline to make the Eastern connection. I can see that AC could kick up a fuss (and rightly so) if "whoever" decides to wave Westjets landing fees for a year.
lakesailor

Post by lakesailor »

XT225,

I can confirm that Transport Canada collects the landing fees and as the airport is a federally run facility the landing fees are applied equally to all air carriers based on a number of factors.

If there is a third party (or more) contributing to paying the WestJet landing fees that would be between WestJet and the third party.

Hope that information is helpful.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

lakesailor wrote:XT225,

I can confirm that Transport Canada collects the landing fees and as the airport is a federally run facility the landing fees are applied equally to all air carriers based on a number of factors.

If there is a third party (or more) contributing to paying the WestJet landing fees that would be between WestJet and the third party.

Hope that information is helpful.

Thankyou, lakesailor. Good info to have confirmed. It bothers me that AC has not yet decided if they would do an Eastern leg yet; as it would make the MOST sense for them to do it. No modifications would be needed to the Terminal, no extra staffing and we would have a great Van-Pent-Calgary run and back. Perhaps the mayor could offer the same sweet deal to them? Its only fair; kinda like putting out a job to tenders; every one should get a crack at it.
ETA: October (the proposed starting time for WJ) is a slow time for tourism here; its between seasons. We understand the timing is because WJ doesn't yet have the extra planes. Another reason for AC to do the route; they DO have the planes and they're the right size for the present terminal.
lakesailor

Post by lakesailor »

HI XT225,

Glad the information was helpful.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

lakesailor wrote:Here is some general info. on the Penticton airport.

1. Yes, Transport Canada pays an annual grant-in lieu to the City of Penticton each year

2. The City, since the 70’s, has provided sanitary sewer service to the airport and receives annual revenue from the improvements on airport lands for this service.

3. The City does not currently provide water to the Airport as the airport has its own water system

So in other words, except for water, the airport is essentially serviced by the city and subject to zoning bylaws and local building code as I suggested in my earlier post.

As to grant in lieu, that is standard practice for all Federally controlled property assets like the CCRA building downtown.

Out of curiosity, what does the airport have for a water source? Kind of concerns me actually as to potability and cost to make it potable?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

CTV new at 6 tomorrow, Thursday, they have a story on how the Comox valley flourished when the same situation happened there. Including how they managed the fact that the terminal was too small. When WJ first started there were temporary shelters I believe. You'd hhave to stand in the rain and wait. But the Albertans didn't care they just wanted a better climate to go to within an hours flight, and the valley boomed.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

livewire wrote:CTV new at 6 tomorrow, Thursday, they have a story on how the Comox valley flourished when the same situation happened there. Including how they managed the fact that the terminal was too small. When WJ first started there were temporary shelters I believe. You'd hhave to stand in the rain and wait. But the Albertans didn't care they just wanted a better climate to go to within an hours flight, and the valley boomed.

Comox is a completely different market and covers a lot of Northern Vancouver the Island with an airforce base there to boot. Its a long runway and can handle just about anything. For Penticton, WJ or AC should start asap and not wait til October, which is after the main Summer tourist season and before the Winter Ski season. We don't want to see a start with half-full planes. I realize that with WJ its a bit more complicated as they don't presently have a plane available and they may have to make additions to the terminal here but they COULD likely test the waters long before October with a different approach. Do a Van-Calgary run, utilizing a Q400 that already flies from YVR to YYC, with a quick stop in Penticton and return to Van later in the day via Penticton. Pacific Western used to do a similar run to Cranbrook and back. The occupancy load from Penticton would likely never exceed the terminal waiting room (as it presently stands now) as there would already be people on the plane enroute to either Van or Calgary. They would just need a minor ticket agent booth set up here. It COULD be done. Now, AC on the other hand could do the very same thing almost immediately and with NO renos or agents required. I wonder how hard that idea has been pushed, if at all? Who wants to build on to the airport if WJ were to pull out after a year; that could also occur; its been mentioned. I have worked for the airlines so I do know a little bit about how things work in this field.
lakesailor

Post by lakesailor »

twobits wrote:
Out of curiosity, what does the airport have for a water source? Kind of concerns me actually as to potability and cost to make it potable?

Currently a well is the source of water at the Penticton airport and the water system is operated by Transport Canada. A cost effective way to provide water from the City has been explored but it is costly.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

The City (chamber?) did help promote AC last year, by placing a vague billboard heading north just before Red Wing. It's very easy to miss, as it is hidden behind another billboard and located on a corner where eyes are looking away from it. It would have actually been effective if it was placed in line of sight and if the graphics included something that looked like airplane travel.

It would also be good if the City installed some decent sized YYF PENTICTON AIRPORT TERMINAL direction roads signs in strategic locations, the way many cities do. These signs not only give direction, but also would make people aware the facility exists. In Penticton, there is this assumption that everyone knows where the airport is and that there is a terminal there offering airline service. Not only have I encountered locals who don't know Penticton has airline service, but also I don't know how non-residents would ever have a clue the YYF airport and airline services exist. It's like it's top secret! Apart from the cost of installing such public road signs, there are no ongoing costs such as with billboards. The city is in the unique position of being able to put up road signs.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

Air Canada continuing it's aggressive advertising campaign for Westjet

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-113414-3-.htm#113414
On a different forum

Return to “Central Okanagan”