Westjet Encore Penticton-Calgary

jaunti

Westjet Encore Penticton-Calgary

Post by jaunti »

Well this is good news indeed. Just announced - non-stop Penticton-Calgary starting end of October this year. Finally an opportunity to get some more traffic at our airport. And better options for flights going east, rather than our one option, which flies west. Yahoo!
BC Dave

Re: Westjet Encore Penticton-Calgary

Post by BC Dave »

I am really surprised by this great news. I didn't think Penticton would manage to pull it off. I fly to Edmonton every September and always take WestJet directly from Kelowna. It will be interesting to see what the cost will be if I fly WestJet's Q400 out of here and take a connecting flight to Edmonton from Calgary. Factoring in gas to and from Kelowna airport and the cost of parking there for a week, I'll bet it will be more than worthwhile to leave from Penticton.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

One year earlier then I was expecting it but kudos to YYF - fingers crossed that they can get the numbers they're hoping for
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Many obstacles still to overcome. One big one is security. Currently the security area barely holds a full load for Jazz DH8-300 which has 50 seats. The Q400 used by Westjet holds 78 seats. Where are they going to put those people after going through security?
With Transport Canada as the operator of this airport there is no will to improve the facility. They want the airport gone, at least from their books. They have offered it to the city and were told by members of the PIB that they still have a claim. Until that gets settled there will be no improvements.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

JagXKR wrote:Many obstacles still to overcome. One big one is security. Currently the security area barely holds a full load for Jazz DH8-300 which has 50 seats. The Q400 used by Westjet holds 78 seats. Where are they going to put those people after going through security?
With Transport Canada as the operator of this airport there is no will to improve the facility. They want the airport gone, at least from their books. They have offered it to the city and were told by members of the PIB that they still have a claim. Until that gets settled there will be no improvements.

Good point re the secured section not presently large enough; however its highly likely that the airport has a plan in place to remedy that asap; they have until October to do so. WHO will pay for it is another story. The addition of the WJ Eastern route will definately hurt Air Canada; as folks who used AC to go East presently have no choice (if leaving from YYF) but to go to Van first. The AC passenger numbers will most certainly drop once WJ comes in. I am hoping that WJ will show rates equal or less than going YLW to Calgary, as I believe a lot of those flights from YLW are 737's which take a lot more fuel for the same trip. I recall when Penticton lost Pacific Western 737 Service; they claimed that the cost of one flight to YVR was $2500.00 for fuel; and the Dash 8 could do it for 1/3 of that; thus there was no question why plane sizes/types were changed. There is NO way that we should pay MORE for a flight to Calgary from YYF (using the Q400) than those out of YLW. Lets hope for the best. At one time there used to be a big sign at the entrance to the Penticton airport road "Penticton International Airport"; thats long gone but perhaps the rebuild is finally starting to happen and that people will be loyal to our city and support it as much as possible.
tgm929
Board Meister

Post by tgm929 »

If you go to wesjets site now....October 28th flights from Kelowna to Calgary are $149 and Penticton to Calgary are $103.

Prices are always changing of course, but looks ok right out of the gate.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

tgm929 wrote:If you go to wesjets site now....October 28th flights from Kelowna to Calgary are $149 and Penticton to Calgary are $103.

Prices are always changing of course, but looks ok right out of the gate.

This is good news to hear! I double checked the prices; you're absolutely correct. PLUS parking at YYF only costs about half as much as YLW!

ETA: I stand corrected on the fuel consumption of a 737 vs Q400. The 737's have come a long way since Pacific Western Airlines days and with new engines they only burn about twice as much fuel; not 3 times as I stated earlier - (with full load anyway) Q400 with 78 seats 1200gph, 737-800 with 189 seats 2400gph.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Westjet > Penticton - Calgary

Attachments
Westjet Dash-8 Q400 Penticton-Calgary 2014
Westjet Dash-8 Q400 Penticton-Calgary 2014
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

My guess is that the limited WJ Penticton-Calgary service would start now, in time for South Okanagan summer tourist season, but the fall start will give time for terminal renovations. Rumour is that architects were scoping out the YYF terminal last year in preparation for upgrades. The tarmack already underwent a considerable expansion last fall. There was also a complete new high-tech runway lighting system install at YYF a few years ago. A new high-tech GPS instrument landing system is underway, to add to the existing YYF instrument localizer approach system. Q400s are equiped for the GPS system, which lowers the approach minimas and increases safety. This would also benefit Kel, as a safety backup runway for their busy single runway, making YLW operations more solid. It would make sense if the two airports worked together to assure flights could land at either Okanagan runway, if either was down due to weather or blocked runway. This is positive news in many respects. With large BL developments directly west and east of YYF, another above Naramata Rd, Sedona, other South Okanagan Osoyoos developments and the new facility at Oliver, things could get interesting.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Nice touch seeing the Westjet marketing team out in Cherry Lane and downtown spreading the news with smiles, buttons and posters. They went into every store in Cherry Lane and introduced themselves and expressed how happy they are to be coming to Penticton.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

That is a nice touch, but unnecessary. Air Canada's service levels and attitude has already helped insure WestJet's popularity more than any advertising campaign ever could.
On a different forum
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Angry Air Canader Daspoot?
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

In some ways, it would've made more sense for AC to add the Calgary connection. No additions would then be needed to the terminal apres-security holding area (its presently too small to hold 78 people) and AC stands to lose business on the Penticton to Vancouver runs now as many folks heading EAST are likely to use WJ. I can see AC cutting out one or more YYF-YVR flights in the fall. Sort of too bad that WJ didn't consider a YVR - YYF - YYC run; perhaps twice a day. The planes would be full (ensuring profitability) and more choices for Penticton customers. If Pacific Coastal couldn't turn a profit doing the YYF - YYC run using a 19 passenger Beechcraft 1900, how will WJ make it using a 78 passenger plane? If they don't fill the seats, the route won't continue. I read in the paper today that the city of Penticton may be "contributing" (not sure that's the correct word) up to $200,000 annually for a few years? To a private business? Is that a subsidy, or to be used for promotions? Not sure if they did this for other companies such as AC or Pacific Coastal? In the end, it may seem like AC is the loser (as people going East switch to WJ) but if AC cancels any flights to YVR, then WE all lose. Perhaps WJ should've considered the Vancouver to Calgary run several times a day with stops in Penticton as I suggested above and this might force OUT Air Canada. An airline that just goes East from here isn't great but nor is one just going West. One could've done BOTH directions and come out on top. Time will tell. Too bad that WJ couldn't start earlier this year (ie: before Summer) but that could likely be due to necessary changes/upgrades at the airport. WHO will be paying for those, do you suppose?
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

southy wrote:Angry Air Canader Daspoot?

Nope, I'm a happy WJer.
On a different forum
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I've personally used both Air Canada and Westjet and have had good experiences on both. Sure, the odd weather or mechanical delay but I can't fault the airline for that. Pretty happy flying with them both, to be honest. In my case, I won't be able to utilize WJ from Penticton as I often fly to Kitchener/Waterloo for business and the flight leaves Calgary at noonish, long before the Penticton proposed flight leaves here. Unfortunately, I will have to continue going via Kelowna or Vancouver to make that connection, unless I overnight it in Calgary, which doesn't interest me.
To xt: I'm not sure if that holding area after security is too small or not. Perhaps it can hold 78 passengers in its present form. The paper said today that the City would only be on the hook for around $100,000 annually; not quite as high as what you stated.

Return to “Central Okanagan”