Apex Resort for sale.

Daspoot
Übergod

Re: Apex Resort for sale.

Post by Daspoot »

wanderingchef wrote: Of course there has been logging done..... That's how you create runs and open more skiable terrain. I would guess the owners took out 50 truck loads last summer alone...... It paid off for them and us as the were more sweet lines to ride this year.

twobits wrote: They logged the timber off of it and sold some land to recoup their investment and put it up for sale.

^^^^See that's the point!^^^^

Did they log it off to recoup their investment, or to open up more runs? That's a big difference in intent, and outcome. If Castanet had put up a story and spun it like twobits did, we'd all have roasted them for bad/slanted reporting.

Like I said, there is enough to really complain about up there, we don't have to spin the logging bit, it discredits the rest of the valid points, just like spraypainting the ALR signs discredits the anti-swap group.
On a different forum
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

I could care less about logging. This is about a skiing. My first time at Apex was before there was a quad and the Gunbarrel was on the north side. That was a "small hill" compared to everything else. It has grown since then but not a whole lot. New owners would hopefully get some improvements started. Replace the old slow triple with a quad and do something with the parking lot would be two things that I would like. Another would be better snow report as the web site and the actual conditions on the hill are rarely the same. Many times I have gone and found that runs are closed or groomed/not groomed when the web site had it opposite. I would also like them to stay open for one more week as the present closing date interferes with Fest-of-Ale. Beer and skiing should not conflict. :(
Marketing the resort to the 1 million+ in Calgary with the Westjet flight would also be a good idea as those crazy Albertans have oodles of dough. Regardless of ownership I will continue to get my seasons pass and ski after the shortest and quickest drive I've ever had to a ski hill. I have been to most hills in BC and Alberta and I really like this one when all factors are considered.
40+ years a skier and loving it.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Where and who took 50 loads of logs off the ski hill area? Again just guessing I assume. Where is the proof that they removed any timber at all? Someone says 300 loads,someone says 50. All blaming the owners taking profit and putting nothing back.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Any timber that came off that rocky steep mountain would have been piled,burned or left to rot.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

The timber that I have witnessed removed from Apex was mostly Beetle Kill; it HAD to come off or else will rot and/or become a huge fire hazard. Likely a lot more trees are infected up there. Once you see them turn reddish...they have killed the tree and moved on to others.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Someone accused the owners removing the trees. An unrealistic amount. The bugs have long come and gone from that valley. Brown is the new green. Fire is in the future. Hydrants or not.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

logman wrote:Twobits Just what timber do you think the owners logged off for profit?

I keep reading this thread and I keep shaking my head! Reallly logman and Daspoot???? Have you guys given up fishing the area lakes or what? Twobits was bang on and I understand exactly where he is coming from. And I tend to believe both of you do as well. Why the knee jerk reactions? The owners of Apex simply are not motivated to develop this resort to it's full potential. They bought it for next to nothing, and I'm sure they have made money from the trees. Why the argument? You say TO-MAY-TO I say TO-MOTT-TO!! Give it up. It would make sense for these guys to actively market this property to allow someone within the ski and resort industry to purchase it and develop it. It's what it needs, it's apparent it's what the current owners need and it's what Penticton and the South Okanagan need. My opinion - back off guys there obviously are no more fish left. Go troll somewhere else.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

We disagreed with something that was posted as fact, but not substantiated. Is that so difficult to understand?
On a different forum
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

Apex and Baldy are among my absolute favorite hills because of the fact they aren't overdeveloped. Such hills, to me at least, embody what the sport is all about. Another one of my favourites is Shames, near Terrace. It was put up for sale and doomed to close forever until the locals rallied together and set up a non-profit cooperative which now owns and operates the hill. The hill is up and running with more support and attendance then ever. I'd love to see such a thing happen with Baldy or Apex. Baldy has got such a core group of oldtimers and lifers and people that just pure love the place that I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.
sale4u
Fledgling

Post by sale4u »

Just thought I would throw "this" into the mix. I know of people that have approached the owners in the recent past about purchasing the mountain but have run into the FACT that they won't share the financials. How do you expect to sell a business without giving up the financials?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

sale4u wrote:Just thought I would throw "this" into the mix. I know of people that have approached the owners in the recent past about purchasing the mountain but have run into the FACT that they won't share the financials.

Perhaps it is because the complete financials would disclose the varied revenue streams and revenue from ski hill operations alone will not justify the 6.5 mil ask.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “Central Okanagan”