Apex Resort for sale.

logman
Übergod

Re: Apex Resort for sale.

Post by logman »

Do ski hills run on a crown lease or do they in fact own the land? One would think on a crown lease owners can not just log at free will talking trees that essentially are not theirs. The homes and cabins that are there,do they in fact own the land or is it a land lease situation? Just asking.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Why is the issue of logging or not logging relevant to the sale of this property? If they did log thier own property what is the issue?

It would be nice if this place was sold to someone with some big ideas and $$ to back it up.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Ask twobits. He is the one with concerns about the ownership and what they are doing.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

logman wrote:I'm still wondering where the owners took wood off the Apex property? As you say up to 300 loads of logs off the property there would not be a stick left standing. If you own property there have you looked at the health of the pine trees? The neighbourhood pines have been hammered with bugs. If not brown yet, they will be soon.

I said I heard 80 to 300 loads. I was not there to count them. They cleared a lot of land to sell. I did not cruise it for cubic meters. Why are you having such difficulty with this? Yes the bugs are devastating the Keremeos Creek water shed. Wheyerhauser has warned about this for a number of years now. My hope is that there is enough fir and spruce in the mix to keep some green. Otherwise it could become ugly and the potential fire hazard is a concern of the property owners association.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Daspoot wrote:No you said "They logged the timber off of it and sold some land to recoup their investment and put it up for sale."

and

"80-300 loads"

That implies a whole lot more than removing a few logs.

Perhaps you should get your facts straight, or at least make sure they are facts before posting them as such,.... then recounting,.... then saying it doesn't matter,.... then dancing around the whole thing,.... then try to put it on me.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. I think you don't like how the owners have maintained the place, and I think you're trying to attribute actions to them that you can't back up.

For the record I have no problem with you calling into question where their heart is at the hill, I think you can make a good case for that without unsupported allegations of large scale logging based on nothing so far but vapour.

I think posting facts that aren't facts is extremely damaging to one`s position, and does an injustice to you, me and other land owners up there, when there are very real concerns to be addressed.

I think perhaps you should stick to things that you know something about.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

logman wrote:Do ski hills run on a crown lease or do they in fact own the land? One would think on a crown lease owners can not just log at free will talking trees that essentially are not theirs. The homes and cabins that are there,do they in fact own the land or is it a land lease situation? Just asking.

The land is owned, fee simple, just as a home in town. There is the designated "recreation area", which encompasses a much larger area, but not the area of private Apex lands I am speaking about. Those are the fee simple lands I am talking about.

logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

All I was asking is where on the Apex "property" was this Logging done? It has not. The property "owners" stink is with the legal logging done across the valley. Let's see some proof of logs being removed off the ski hill area itself. It's all bull. Boo hoo you don't like the view of a clearcut . You bought property in a bug infested valley. Can you even buy insurance up there? Fire is in your future.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

logman wrote:All I was asking is where on the Apex "property" was this Logging done? It has not. The property "owners" stink is with the legal logging done across the valley. Let's see some proof of logs being removed off the ski hill area itself. It's all bull. Boo hoo you don't like the view of a clearcut . You bought property in a bug infested valley. Can you even buy insurance up there? Fire is in your future.

There is more land involved than the ski runs for cripts sake. If you did not even realize it was not crown lease there is nothing I can add that will make you understand. Maybe Daspoop can help you. If you want proof, research timber mark sales. I am not going to argue with either off you anymore.

logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Haha. Another cabin owner that doesn't like his neighbourhood or his "new" wilderness view. Get used to it. You didn't answer if you were in fact able to buy fire insurance. I doubt it. Good luck.
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

logman wrote: You didn't answer if you were in fact able to buy fire insurance. I doubt it. Good luck.
Not only is fire insurance available there is also a volunteer fire department. Why would you even make make such a suggestion? Think about it, who would either purchase or finance if insurance were not available?
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

The same people that would purchase homes in a wilderness community and complain about what happens in the woods. Sure there is a volunteer fire brigade. Where do they live year round? Are there hydrants? I doubt it. It's a rusty old fire tuck with no one on site. Grasp another straw twobits. Where have the owners logged a tree off the crown lease land?
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

logman wrote: Sure there is a volunteer fire brigade. Where do they live year round? Are there hydrants? I doubt it. It's a rusty old fire tuck with no one on site. Grasp another straw twobits. Where have the owners logged a tree off the crown lease land?

Your false assumptions make it apparent you are not familiar with Apex. There are full time residents as well as fire hydrants. As Twobits alluded, the current owners are not well respected by the property owners and recreational users of Apex. The general feeling is they have successfully developed building lots but have not invested enough into ski hill improvements .
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

twobits wrote:
I think perhaps you should stick to things that you know something about.

That was my point to you twopits, you got the point, but you're applying in incorrectly.

See look at the post above, simple, effective and no accusations that you can't back up.
On a different forum
wanderingchef
Fledgling

Post by wanderingchef »

It would be terrific to see Apex sell to some owners that really get it. Maybe management could get replaced too. Unfortunately no one is really in the ski hill buying industry. Apex has been quietly for sale for a few years now........ Baldy struggled to find new investors/owners. Throw in the fact that the lifts have not been super well maintained (Triple chair fire and multiple Quad breakdowns all year), the fact that there is no more developable land and even less opportunity to add new terrain/lifts, I don't expect this "Gem" of a hill to sell very quickly. Not to mention the fact that barely anyone gives a crap about skiing or boarding around here. If Apex didn't buffer it's accounts with monies collected for being such a training hotspot, I highly doubt season pass and day ticket sales would keep the hill afloat...... All this being said I love Apex and really do think it is a wicked little mountain. The "Slackcountry" areas just out of bounds are by far the best terrain within a couple hours drive. I plan on buying a seasons pass for years to come.

It is borderline hilarious to read the comments and opinions of people who sound like they have never even been up to check the place out. Of course there has been logging done..... That's how you create runs and open more skiable terrain. I would guess the owners took out 50 truck loads last summer alone...... It paid off for them and us as the were more sweet lines to ride this year. As for the status of land ski hills sit on.... It varies from hill to hill. Baldy for instance runs on a "tenure" which is basically a lease from the government on crown land. They are in turn the "Stewards" of the land and responsible to take care of it. If that means removing a few trees then so be it. Apex on the other hand was originally one large claim and has been developed and subdivided with deeds given for each plot. Please correct me if I am wrong.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

You are not wrong

Return to “Central Okanagan”