Family House Rental Issues

MamaJ

Family House Rental Issues

Post by MamaJ »

The lack of available family rental homes in and around the Penticton area is unbelievable. There are numerous 1 and 2 bedroom apartments/suites, so there's no problem if you're single or are a couple - or even a couple of roommates, for that matter. But if you have kids, good luck! Houses with 3 or 4 bedrooms are few and far between. And of the few that do become available, many are too expensive for the average family. And if your family includes pet/pets, your odds of finding a place just got worse.

If you've looked through the online sites, you'll see in the rental sections that there are almost more 'wanted' ads than 'available' ads. When a family has exhausted all their resources: online sites, property managers, realtors, newspapers, friends, etc.... What else is there?
Crazy Horse
Fledgling

Re: Family House Rental Issues

Post by Crazy Horse »

I don't know what the answer is. Most people that I know that have rented homes have had bad experiences with tenants. It doesn't seem to be worth the hassle. And then low supply keeps the demand and price high. Personally I think the law is such that it is hard for a homeowner to evict a problem tenant, and if that changed people might be more willing to rent their home.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Kids are hard on houses. Half a month's security/damage deposit wouldn't even come close. So its easier not to go down that road.
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

I would rent to parents with kids BEFORE I would rent to people with ANY animals...............ANY DAY
MamaJ

Post by MamaJ »

The comments received so far make it clear that there's an assumption that ALL renters are destructive and irresponsible. That's not fair to those who treat their rental home as if it was their own. Many of these types of renters DO exist - AND many of them have kids and pets.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

You can't have something that is affordable, available, and spacious at the same time. You gotta pick two.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

To the landlord, the rental property is an investment and they are going to do everything they can to protect their investment. The tenancy act is doesnt provide a lot of protection for the landlord.

And parents can be great tenants and have well behaved kids/pets but normal wear and tear is much worse with kids/pets and the tenancy act expects the landlord to absorb the costs of normal wear and tear. How is that supposed to work for the landlord?
wanderingchef
Fledgling

Post by wanderingchef »

I can relate to your situation. My partner and I have been looking for a place for us and my son for a few months now. There is not much out there. Now I realize I am going to get called out for this statement but here it goes...... Imagine we lived in a world where no one looked to profit off our basic need for shelter....... A home should not be looked at as a financial "investment" as it is something we all need. Personally I don't think I would feel good being a landlord who made money on peoples need for housing....... But that's just not the world we live in.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

wanderingchef wrote:I can relate to your situation. My partner and I have been looking for a place for us and my son for a few months now. There is not much out there. Now I realize I am going to get called out for this statement but here it goes...... Imagine we lived in a world where no one looked to profit off our basic need for shelter....... A home should not be looked at as a financial "investment" as it is something we all need. Personally I don't think I would feel good being a landlord who made money on peoples need for housing....... But that's just not the world we live in.

How about a chef that makes money on peoples need for food?

Most landlords are not getting rich off renters - most mortgages plus taxes plus wear and tear is a far greater number than could be asked for in the form of rent. Renters are basically living in subsidized housing - which explains the shortage of rentals as there are not too many people out there that can afford to subsidize someone else's housing in the name of "investment".
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

wanderingchef wrote:I can relate to your situation. My partner and I have been looking for a place for us and my son for a few months now. There is not much out there. Now I realize I am going to get called out for this statement but here it goes...... Imagine we lived in a world where no one looked to profit off our basic need for shelter....... A home should not be looked at as a financial "investment" as it is something we all need. Personally I don't think I would feel good being a landlord who made money on peoples need for housing....... But that's just not the world we live in.

I've had income property , many people think the LL's are making a lot of money at say 1600 for a average 25 yr old 3 bdrm home . By the time you pay the mortgage on it , property taxes , taxable income from the home and upkeep and unexpected incidentals like new roof's , fridges and stoves , furnaces etc.. It's usually a break even affair. That doesn't include a problematic tenant from time to time.
That being said the best tenants we've ever had were ones with dogs . I would rather rent to a tenant with a dog then a cat ( sorry Bman 8>/ )
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Well, realtors, lawyers, insurance companies, banks all make money off of people's need for housing. Doctors make money off people's need for health care, dentists make money off of people's need for basic dentistry, retailers make money off of people's need for groceries and clothing. Employers make money off of their employees - if they didn't, they'd go broke and close down.

I see your point that you would like everyone to be altruistic and we would all live happily ever after. Nah, I don't think that will happen.
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

MamaJ wrote:The lack of available family rental homes in and around the Penticton area is unbelievable. There are numerous 1 and 2 bedroom apartments/suites, so there's no problem if you're single or are a couple - or even a couple of roommates, for that matter. But if you have kids, good luck! Houses with 3 or 4 bedrooms are few and far between. And of the few that do become available, many are too expensive for the average family. And if your family includes pet/pets, your odds of finding a place just got worse.

If you've looked through the online sites, you'll see in the rental sections that there are almost more 'wanted' ads than 'available' ads. When a family has exhausted all their resources: online sites, property managers, realtors, newspapers, friends, etc.... What else is there?

There's not all truth in this. I am a single mom with kids part time and was looking for a two to three bedroom last month. Sure, there were a number of apartments available, but a ton of them were soooo gross!! Cigarette smoke, cat urnie lingering. Cracked and filthy tiles in bathrooms, 20 year old dirt. Dingy, dark. Ick..... Nowhere I'd let my children live. It is NOT EASY at all. I can't believe what some people will try to pass off as livable.

I don't know how, but I totally lucked into the rental I found. Bright 1200 square foot above ground 2 bedroom suite. Brand new carpet. Tons and tons of windows. Rent of 1150 includes my utilites, internet, cable. There's insuite laundry and built in vacuum. Oh, and there's a lake view. I'd say my rental is one in a million and I'm lucky to have it!! I don't know what I'd have done had I not just totally lucked into this. I'm so greatful for it.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

By affordable do you mean under $1000K or something? For a 3, 4 bedroom home expect to pay $1500 on up. This is the Okanagan and thats just how it is here. Dump apts go for $800-$1000
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.

Return to “Central Okanagan”