Carmi / Beaverdell area dumping & shooting.

twobits
Guru

Re: Carmi / Beaverdell area dumping & shooting.

Post by twobits »

totoramona wrote: The clay pigeons are just that, CLAY. They are biodegradable. Check the Canadian Tire website. They are absolutely harmless to the landscape. Maybe you don't like to look at the color orange, but they will dissolve into nothingness soon enough.

Cardboard boxes, cigarette packs, food waste, stumps and yard prunings are also biodegradable and will dissolve to nothingness and are harmless to the "landscape" as well. Is it ok to drive up into the bush to dispose of these things as well?

totoramona wrote:The shells are left right where the shooter is standing, and YES we pick them up. You wouldn't know that we picked them up, because you wouldn't see them, and the clays are blown to bits all over the place far from the site that we were standing.

So because your orange colour pigeons are blown to bits far from where you are standing, there is no need to pick them up like the spent shells that conveniently land right beside you? Aside from fall colours, since when is orange a natural colour on the ground in the bush. Until it decays in a few years of course. Do you also go pick up your buckshot you have sprayed all over the landscape? Steel now fortunately but it still ends up in the gut of animals. If you were shooting for food sustenance it would be one thing, but out for jolly's shooting clay pigeons by the dozens in one spot? When you start eating the clay you shoot I will be ok with it. Until then pick up your mess or go to a shooting range!!!!!

totoramona wrote:But like I said, all of this is legal on crown land. I agree, as well, that most hunters, target shooters, and the like are outdoor enthusiasts and conservationists. They are the eyes and ears in the forest. Anyone who is out there on a regular basis can see that it isn't the target shooters, ATVers, hunters or dirtbikers that are having the biggest and most irreversible impact on the forest; it is logging.

While I would agree with this statement in principle, and as an avid fisher, camper, and enjoyer of all things recreational outdoors, I would have to say that my experience there are far too many users of our backwoods that have no respect for the woodlands. Also in my decades long enjoyment of these activities, it is gun happy owners that do not hunt anything but an inanimate non food source target, the weekend warrior ATV'ers/dirt bikers with no respect for what is right or wrong that are the major culprits. So how do we distinguish between the two, responsible and warrior?
Logging seems to bother you aesthetically, but it is an important and sustainable industry that employs thousands in this province. In many ways you can obviously not comprehend, it it the forest industry that are truly the eyes and ears in the forest. Their lively hoods depend on it. More often than not it is the people that are employed in this industry that report the *bleep* that are tearing up riparian areas with dirtbikes/ATV's and dumping garbage. To suggest that the most irreversible impact on the forest is logging is just part two of your CAVE mentality.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
dsadlftr

Post by dsadlftr »

whether it be buckshot, clay pigeons, beer cans, paint cans prunings or whatever.... if you do not want it on your lawn at home DONT leave it in the bush! Golden rule of Back country is pack out what you pack in. "LEAVE NO TRACE" is the motto that should be followed. I have literally lost half of my usual riding area due to the hazards of people shooting off their guns. Not knowing which direction they shoot and causing such a rukus which really reduces the enjoyment for others is selfish.

With any items dumped, I dont know why the RCMP can use their tools to take prints & follow up on those who dump to fine them HEAVILY.

Yes, this is two separate issues, but somewhat the same in that it is about people who think it is ok to disrupt and abuse the land for their selfish pleasure and convenience.
chicklo
Board Meister

Post by chicklo »

Not all clay pigeons are orange. They also come in black so they are practically invisible.
dsadlftr

Post by dsadlftr »

http://www.leavenotrace.ca/home

Seriously - pollute your own home as you wish - leave the back country alone.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

May I suggest using a bike park to ride your bike instead, the mountain bikers are leaving a lot of garbage themselves and nailing tracks into trees and cutting down trees and disrupting the earth by digging it up and building jumps. The ski hills or bmx track are a great place for biking off road, you also have the kettle valley trail!
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Don't get me started on the mountain bikers. They are in the group of the biggest pigs in the woods.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

Lol, yes you people who go shoot a box of pidgeons should be picking up the steel shot and clay dust soa few here don't have to suffer your unsightly messes. get a grip...

Geez and we wonder what happened to all the tourists and visitors that used to drive our economy.

I'm not supporting littering, but the no-fun mantra getting trotted out by many here is nothing but self-indulgent keyboard rants about anything that strikes them as not to their liking.

Can the next thread be about empty store fronts and businesses closing and the same people wondering why....
On a different forum
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Just saying. "The shooting " areas are a freaking mess. The over all respect for" target shooters "is zero.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

Well as long as you aren't painting an entire group with one brush.....
On a different forum
dsadlftr

Post by dsadlftr »

Daspoot are you suggesting it is alright for a few people to ruin it for others? That's exactly what the rukus from shooting does.
Perhaps the keyboard warriors would spend more time outside if their ears weren't bombarded by the gunfire and risk of injury.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

The entire group is painted with one brush. Sorry they have made the bed that they sleep in. The areas that the so called target shooters and garbage dumpers repeatedly use are obvious.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

dsadlftr wrote:Daspoot are you suggesting it is alright for a few people to ruin it for others? That's exactly what the rukus from shooting does.
Perhaps the keyboard warriors would spend more time outside if their ears weren't bombarded by the gunfire and risk of injury.

I suggesting there is enough boonies for all user groups to have some fun. Those here who would condemn entire groups because they found some clay pigeon shards or shot gun shells, or some mountain bike ramps need to get down off their pedestals and learn to live and let live.

Grab a handful of garbage bags and throw them in your truck, spend 5 minutes an outing cleaning up a bit and get over it. Most of the Mountain Bikers and target shooters are good, responsible people who do their part, and the few that don't shouldn't tarnish the entire activity.

Dsdlftr, it's obvious you come to the table with pre-existing baggage and little or no objectivity on the subject.

Condemn those who dump garbage, give the rest a break and worry about real problems, not coloured clay bits.
On a different forum
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

fall wrote:May I suggest using a bike park to ride your bike instead, the mountain bikers are leaving a lot of garbage themselves and nailing tracks into trees and cutting down trees and disrupting the earth by digging it up and building jumps. The ski hills or bmx track are a great place for biking off road, you also have the kettle valley trail!

I don't know about that fall and logman .... I've seen alot of bear, moose, elk and deer knock over trees and digging up alot of earth. Don't think you can pin this one entirely on mountain bikers. Nope don't ride one either. Just saying. I think most bikers and outdoors folks are responsible and we shouldn't paint everyone with the same brush. As so many have said ... it is common sense. And you know what some people simply don't have it. We can sit hear and *bleep* all we want but those that get it ... get it and those that don't - don't and won't. I've called some of them on it when I've seen them doing it. Typical response is usually the F word followed by an insect repellant. Ignorance is bliss .. for some. Unfortunate but thats the way it is. Do you honestly think fining them is going to work? Take alook a their vehicles ... their home ... their yard ... why should things change in the bush. I believe alot of behavioral issues are learned and they are multi generational, ie: grandparents did it ... parents did it or still do it so why would the kids be any different?
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

Yep- the bear, moose, elk and deer are nailin' tracks into trees. lol
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

The bears are getting shot, its bad time to be a bear around now!

Return to “Central Okanagan”