Carmi / Beaverdell area dumping & shooting.

Steve-O
Übergod

Re: Carmi / Beaverdell area dumping & shooting.

Post by Steve-O »

How are mtn bikers pigs?

edit - I remember now - because of a hand full of decommissioned jumps and stunts. And I will apologize Logman, I found the bunch you had been referring to in an old Smith Creek thread and I had been defending that everything up there is used and maintained. All the old stuff only served a handful of riders brave enough to ride those so a new trail was built that is rideable for a larger number. I've met people from Isreal up there that had included Smith as part of their western Canada mtn bike trip. If I owned a chain saw I would go cut some of that old stuff down but as it is built from largely fallen timber, Mother Nature will take care of it soon enough.

I have to agree with Daspoot, vast majority of back country users are respectful. Sadly, there is a handful of jerks that don't think twice of dumping.

On that note, I'm off for a ride. Doing the loop around Rose Valley reservoir today.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

dsadlftr wrote:The worst is when the folks with guns go up to shoot off their weapons (instead of going to the gun range)
There are a lot of people who don't want to belong to a gun club.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Fancy wrote: There are a lot of people who don't want to belong to a gun club.

It is ridiculous to think that anybody who enjoys the outdoors and shooting should go to a gun range and is no different than saying mountain bikers should go to ski hills in the summer or a private park somewhere, or that people who want to take their mutt for a run do it near the SPCA in the fenced in dog area, I do not condone illegal dumping but the hills are for people of all interests to utilize and if you don't care for a particular spot due to activity that you don't enjoy or feel comfortable around there are other areas to go and it is always nice to find and see different places!
dsadlftr

Post by dsadlftr »

It is ridiculous to think that anybody who enjoys the outdoors and shooting should go to a gun range and is no different than saying mountain bikers should go to ski hills in the summer or a private park somewhere, or that people who want to take their mutt for a run do it near the SPCA in the fenced in dog area, I do not condone illegal dumping but the hills are for people of all interests to utilize and if you don't care for a particular spot due to activity that you don't enjoy or feel comfortable around there are other areas to go and it is always nice to find and see different places![/quote]

Perhaps - but mtn biking, hiking, walking dogs etc etc. are not putting anyone else in danger nor does it disrupt the peace the way that gun fire does.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Matter of opinion. The high droning noise of dirt bikes that goes on all day doesn't come close to sighting in a rifle or a little target practice and ATV's that are ripping around are just a couple of examples of people having fun in the great outdoors.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

What?
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

If you know the area is a hot spot for recreational shooters and don't like it don't go there, very simple! Carmi sure isn't my favorite hill and makes a good area for shooting as far as I am concerned. I wouldn't worry about accidentally being shot, there have been how many deaths and near deaths mountain biking over the past few years in Penticton? seems more dangerous doing some of the other activities!
dsadlftr

Post by dsadlftr »

How about you go somewhere?. We live here. Dirt bikes at least wont kill innocent bystanders, plus you can hear them coming. There is still the issue of shell casings and bullets left behind as well.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

dsadlftr wrote:How about you go somewhere?. We live here. Dirt bikes at least wont kill innocent bystanders, plus you can hear them coming. There is still the issue of shell casings and bullets left behind as well.

And the issue of oil and gas spills, fires caused by hot exhaust pipes, chewing up the eco-system with knobby tires, did I miss anything?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
dsadlftr

Post by dsadlftr »

And the issue of oil and gas spills, fires caused by hot exhaust pipes, chewing up the eco-system with knobby tires, did I miss anything?[/quote]

Good point, better stick with horses ;-). But wait, the gunfire scares the horses......
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Horses are used for hunting and pack animals so gun shots shouldn't be an issue. Complaints about the garbage are understandable but not complaints about the sports done responsibly.
dsadlftr

Post by dsadlftr »

FYI - the area in question is a leased cattle range. Destruction of a cattle range by gunfire, garbage or trail tearing is illegal.
Responsible gun owners would NOT leave bullets, shells, garbage or targets out after they left the area. When does this happen?
Many shooters fire off their guns within the no shooting zone nearby the houses. I have heard automatic weapons and semi automatic weapons quite often, and let me tell you that is scary. Sounds like a war zone.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

Please confirm for me that you are suggesting recreational shooters should be picking up their bullets after they are done.
On a different forum
dsadlftr

Post by dsadlftr »

It is littering if shells and bullets are left behind.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

The dirt bike leaking oil and gas?!?!?! That's a joke. A dirt bike holds maybe 1.5 litres of oil. I would rather a motorcycle cross my drinking water 1000 times than have a herd of cattle *bleep* and craping in it. Most local folk don't realize it but that is what's happening in your drinking water. Cattle doing their business in the water.

Return to “Central Okanagan”