South Okanagan Shuttle

twobits
Guru

Re: South Okanagan Shuttle

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote:The ad in the paper did not mention picking anyone up at home; only that they will leave Penticton at 5am. It didn't mention what size vehicle either; not sure where you got the 6 people figure, twobits. It could be a 24 passenger bus for all we know; that would be more viable. We also don't know how many people actually are working in Fort Mac that live in this area and might take advantage of the shuttle. Time will tell. This is a locally owned business that's promoting the shuttle, even though it may appear to some that its taking business away from Penticton. For now, it really isn't; its proposing to provide a service. After all, some of these folks could decide to move to be closer to the Kelowna airport and we wouldn't want that.

A 24 passenger bus would drive the break even cost even higher. I was thinking more along the lines of a 10 person airport shuttle type unit. But you are right, we don't know how many living here work in Fort Mac. The more the better for the plan to work but I have my doubts just because of the time logistics. You are also correct in that the pick up is not very clear. Where would people drive to and leave their vehicle safely for the time away at work. Dropped off by someone else? That would make sense if they are dropping you at home on the return. Little more info required.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:
A 24 passenger bus would drive the break even cost even higher. I was thinking more along the lines of a 10 person airport shuttle type unit. But you are right, we don't know how many living here work in Fort Mac. The more the better for the plan to work but I have my doubts just because of the time logistics. You are also correct in that the pick up is not very clear. Where would people drive to and leave their vehicle safely for the time away at work. Dropped off by someone else? That would make sense if they are dropping you at home on the return. Little more info required.

Good comments, twobits. Its too soon to judge this; for all we know, they could do the shuttle running a Prius if not enough passengers. It will all be up to those who plan to use it and what the company has available for vehicles, etc. I imagine they will use a central pickup location here; but that needs clarification. Am sure they will soon put out more info.
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

XT225 wrote:The ad in the paper did not mention picking anyone up at home; only that they will leave Penticton at 5am. It didn't mention what size vehicle either; not sure where you got the 6 people figure, twobits. It could be a 24 passenger bus for all we know; that would be more viable. We also don't know how many people actually are working in Fort Mac that live in this area and might take advantage of the shuttle. Time will tell. This is a locally owned business that's promoting the shuttle, even though it may appear to some that its taking business away from Penticton. For now, it really isn't; its proposing to provide a service. After all, some of these folks could decide to move to be closer to the Kelowna airport and we wouldn't want that.

It is a shuttle service.

And it is a private business.

For example, there are several buses in the morning that are contracted to Big White ski hill in Kelowna. They depart certain "stops" at certain times. Those pick up points are Mission Park, Capri Mall, Orchard Park, and Willow Park.If you aren't there on time, tough luck.

At the end of the day, they do a return trip. The drivers do tend to wait well past the scheduled time on the return trip. 99% of the passengers are kids under 18, so good on the drivers to wait.
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

Regular transit sevice already connects Peahland to Vernon. It also recently connects Penticton to Summerland.

If it can connect Summerland to Peachland, The entire Valley would be accesible by public transit.

Hey Greyhound...buh bye!!!

Return to “Central Okanagan”