Are you just as confused about parking in Penticton?

twobits
Guru

Re: Are you just as confused about parking in Penticton?

Post by twobits »

Thinktank wrote:I think Penticton and all cities the same size or bigger should have a
huge free parking lot right in the middle of the city. So people wouldn't have to do parallel parking.
They could park in the middle if the city and walk wherever they want to go, and get
th health benefits of walking.

Which block do you propose we tear down and pave over? Who is going to pay to purchase all of those buildings if you can't recoup it from paid parking? Tanked thinking.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Ya guys really I don't know what to tell ya but if I can find something for less money with a better warranty I'm gettin' it online. Penticton's downtown really offers very little of interest to me. A few select shops I like but for the most part I would bet 90% of the places I have never or will never step foot into. Not because I don't want to, just no need or desire to.

And ya, the city should charge for parking. Big box store parking is off street, therefore no reason to charge. That $$ is all tied up in the products they sell. Parking downtown is a big enough pain in the *bleep* as it is. Charge for parking, open up a few more spots. Don't like it? Don't park down there. Penticton is a small enough city that walking or biking is not out of the question.

Can someone tell me if having to pay 50 cents to park outside of a business would stop them from buying something they want? You still want/need the product, right?
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

twobits wrote:Which block do you propose we tear down and pave over?

Whichever block Dan Ashton was at.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

There is definitely confusion with downtown parking. With the construction going on many meters have yellow covers so you can park for free - however I have met people who do not see the fine print on the yellow covers and think they are covered with yellow meaning "don't park here" because of the construction.

Meanwhile main street remains free for 2 hours, but not most side streets or city parking lot's - except for the one behind City Hall - that is, if you work for the City.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

CTF wrote:There is definitely confusion with downtown parking. With the construction going on many meters have yellow covers so you can park for free - however I have met people who do not see the fine print on the yellow covers and think they are covered with yellow meaning "don't park here" because of the construction.

Meanwhile main street remains free for 2 hours, but not most side streets or city parking lot's - except for the one behind City Hall - that is, if you work for the City.

I think the intent of the original poster (Southy) was to show how inconsistent parking is downtown. Some pay parking; some free; some two hours free. There may indeed be reasons behind the differences but just what they are isn't clear to most folks. I stated previously that IF the businesses on Main Street had indeed lobbied the city to remove the parking meters on Main and they paid a higher levy for that benefit, then there WAS a reason for doing so - to attract more shoppers. They wouldn't do it because they didnt like the look of the meters. Its only common sense that if parking is free, thats one more incentive to GO there. The more meters and ticket spitters the city has, the more cost for repairs/replacements and officers to service them. Remove them all and go with 2 hr parking everywhere and it should be cheaper on tax dollars. Martin Street is now pretty much finished as of today. I will reserve judgement on the work until after we figure out what those 4 foot high black posts (think they're called ballards?) are for. Any ideas? I saw some cars parked beside them this week and there are so many of the posts that it makes it difficult to open your car door. I can also envision the first drunk that goes down the street and mows them down in the not too distant future. Where does the city come up with these ideas? (Ashton is gone; we can't blame him...lol).
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on May 17th, 2014, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: make your point without the personal attacks
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

3+141592

Post by 3+141592 »

Not to take away from this thread as a coherent plan for Penticton would be nice but, nothing is perfect in the parking world.
Ever tried parking downtown Toronto or Montreal? How about Chicago? Not a pretty sight anywhere and park at your own risk of getting a juicy ticket for having misinterpreted two parking signs above each other with overlapping rules...

I realize that Penticton is a few orders of magnitude smaller but parking is never easy except perhaps in Flin Flon, MB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flin_Flon). I once "fed" one of their six parking meters on main street and with amazement realized that a nickel bought me one full hour!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

3+141592 wrote: I once "fed" one of their six parking meters on main street and with amazement realized that a nickel bought me one full hour!

Lol, say it ain't true or it was 1950. Even with 24 hr paid parking that is a buck 20 a day!! Bet it costs more in wages to have someone pull the nickels out once a week. There's a segment for Rippley's believe it or not.

3+141592

Post by 3+141592 »

Twobits, I kid you not and if memory serves, it was around 1993 (give or take a year).
Wages are one thing, how could they even amortize the meter itself? Furthermore, I remember
thinking something that day along the lines of "Aw, who's going to give me a ticket here?" but the very
next thought was "Wait a second, with SIX parking meters - it doesn't take much to get spotted!!"

Anyway, goes to show you that parking difficulties is a relative topic and having fought for parking
in various cities, I always enjoy parking around Penticton (or the Okanagan in general).
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

CTF wrote:There is definitely confusion with downtown parking. With the construction going on many meters have yellow covers so you can park for free - however I have met people who do not see the fine print on the yellow covers and think they are covered with yellow meaning "don't park here" because of the construction.

Does anyone know what purpose all those new 4 foot high black "thingys" are in the 200 block of Martin Street?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

The city put those black thingies in so that you can tie your horse or mule to them. This is an environmental move by the city to reduce automobile emissions. They will also be collecting manure from these animals on a daily basis and using it to fertilize city lawns and gardens as a cost saving initiative.

Return to “Central Okanagan”