Conservation Officers and what they do.

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Conservation Officers and what they do.

Post by Queen K »

WARNING: GRAPHIC IN NATURE. Also, please no stupid insenstive remarks.

We just got back from Beaverdell Road up over Penticton. We hiked the Canyon Rim Trail right up til it got close to the road.

That's when things got ugly. Nice hike, ugly find.

Someone slaughtered a young black bear and not too long ago.

The paw and fur around it was perfect. Like new, like as in, on a live animal. The bones around it were stripped. And NO, it was not an animal that did this, animals don't wrap bones in plastic bags and dump them all with the leg bones still attached to the poor creatures paws.

We took entensive photographs.

We photographed the location, right down to the spray painted sign near by. The km mark and the pull out.

Who do I call?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Conservation Officers and what they do.

Post by Fancy »

Why wouldn't you call CO's?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Isn't there a poacher number, I see signs when driving. Report all poachers I think it says.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Report All Poachers and PollutersConservation Officer Service
Report All Poachers and Polluters (RAPP)
Dial Toll Free 1-877-952-7277 (RAPP) or Report Violators using the Online Form Below:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/rapp/form.htm
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Poacher number! Yes, I'm so upset by this find I can't even think clearly.

Dreading up loading the trip pix but I know we have to.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Alas, all we have is evidence.

Also deer skeletons in the same spot. Fresh deer fur in spots on the trail. Lots of it. Looks like a fav easy spot right off of Beaverdell Road. Maybe a trap can be set for the poacher?

I haven't got any info fitting the poacher line and what they are looking for, alas.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I am so sorry. I don't know what to say right now. Phone RCMP if you have concerns as they can direct you to proper authorities
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

That would be so incredibly disturbing to come across. I hope all of your work helps someone get caught and that they get fined and possible jail time. I saw two different black bears today in the woods. So magnificent to witness.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#115655

What the hell is wrong with people today? The Peachland beaver was the last male beaver left on the Okanagan Lakeshore in Peachland.

Just two short weeks ago Mr. QK and I had the wonderful opportunity to photograph him swimming in the lake and gathering willow branches and eating them. He was so cute up on his hind legs and reaching up to grab the branches. We got many photos as we used our zoom lenses and stayed on the dock.

And now he's dead. Gone.

Upon reviewing the gruesome scene I came across and then seeing this, I'm just sickened.

Also those shot songbirds probably had nests to attend to or feed the mate while the mate sat on the eggs. Now they're gone too.

We downloaded the photos and to my absolute surprise the deer skeleton photos actually have fresh looking legs left in them, with hooves. Did not notice that at the time, though that was before the bear find. I'm sick.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

What I should mention is that the spot we found is left as if there is a trap set on purpose.

Just as you'd walk in from the road there is a deep hole. Leg breaking size. We had to step around it to access the road.

Didn't think to photograph a hole, but it's alike a trap for people and could break an animals leg too.
wanderingchef
Fledgling

Post by wanderingchef »

It is spring Black Bear season. Unfortunately this could be nothing more then a lazy hunter. As a hunter I really hope it is not but there is that possibility. Some of the other carcasses you saw could be from "First Nations" hunters. No matter what it is a sad way to see animals treated but not exactly illegal. I don't see any connection between the story in Peachland and this encounter. Sounds to me like whoever deboned that bear knew what they were doing, just lazy in disposing of the remains. The other case is just a bunch of idiots being reckless.

P.S. There is at least one beaver that lives right by the Okanagan lake dam in Penticton. So I wouldn't go so far as to say that was the LAST beaver on the okanagan lakeshore
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Queen K did say last one in Peachland.
wanderingchef
Fledgling

Post by wanderingchef »

Wasn't this up at Headwaters? I don't think any Okanagan lake beavers were affected. None the less it should be considered a serious crime.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

So okay, I got the wrong beaver, but still, what is the senseless slaughter of mammals getting us anyways?

Could someone give a rational reason to even have a bear season? Other than to kill off animals looking for food in used to be their front yard? I saw another HUGE development up Carmi Road right in what would be black bear area. Next thing you know those people will be screaming about deer eating their gardens and bears scaring the kids. KILL THEM ALL! The animals folks, not the kids. Relax.
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

The main reason? People eat bear!

Return to “Central Okanagan”