Conservation Officers and what they do.

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Conservation Officers and what they do.

Post by Queen K »

What for?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Same reason people eat deer and moose.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
wanderingchef
Fledgling

Post by wanderingchef »

Because they are delicious and because hunters play an important role in habitat/species management. Part of protecting animals involves the harvesting of them as well.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I hope every hunter who actually believes that ^^ also donates to Nature Conservancy of Canada and other organizations that buy up land and hold it for species survival. Actually, anyone who believes that.

Sorry but how do you figure killing specimens of species actually helps them? By decimating the gene pool?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

What an ignorant and uneducated remark!! ^^^
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

wanderingchef wrote:Because they are delicious and because hunters play an important role in habitat/species management. Part of protecting animals involves the harvesting of them as well.

What we shouldn't hear LOL. I peed in my pants.

You mean hunting is the beginning of the extinction of species. Just check History.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Queen K wrote:I hope every hunter who actually believes that ^^ also donates to Nature Conservancy of Canada and other organizations that buy up land and hold it for species survival. Actually, anyone who believes that.

Sorry but how do you figure killing specimens of species actually helps them? By decimating the gene pool?

The government regulates hunting licenses. Culling the herd so to speak helps wildlife have better winter survival due to over abundance of their species. If they can find enough food in the wild, they will be less likely to move into populated areas.

Often there is too many bears and so they are open to hunting for licensed hunters.

I grew up in a house with a hunter and we ate every animal he shot or trapped. The meat is better for you and the animals live a much more humane existence than the slaughterhouses.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Bretbaby wrote:What an ignorant and uneducated remark!! ^^^

Sorry but by taking out the best of the successful specimens in the herd, the ones who contribute the BEST GENES to survive in a specific habitat, the herd is weakened.

I'm not uneducated and I did also grow up with a deer hanging in the backyard every year. Grouse on the table instead of chicken too. Fish? Don't get me started.

But I always have a sense of unease that the hunter culture takes out the best in the herd also weakens the herd. How? By taking out the most successful breeders. And that can't be good for the gene pool. Get my point? Prolly not.

All you see is a nice rack on the moose, elk, white tail or pronghorn and BANG, it's dead. Never to reproduce.

Big mammal predators are supposed to take out the weakest in a herd, the old, the sick. But no, hunters come a long, including poachers, and take out the best they see. The Bighorn herd outside of Lilooet lost eight or more of their best due to poachers, I hope that case was cracked.

I asked if leaving bear parts, paws and bones in a bag in the wild was okay, and the hunter I asked said, "NO WAY." There is a disposal process and that definitely isn't it.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Well Queenie, right now Black Bears are open. I don't know who you could call that would be interested in your find.
Please stop putting hunters and poachers in the same league. One is legal, one is criminal, they are not the same.
My hunting licence and fishing licence just cost me $72 and the tags in hunting season about another $ 60 or so. that money is supposed to go to the wildlife management plan.
I,ve noticed that people that don't like hunting always seem to think they know the most about wildlife management. How do you think it would work out if we sent some COs over to do your job ?
I realise that not everyone likes the idea of hunting so I usually avoid bringing it up around other people but the fact is. It is legal and it generates a large amount of buisness and good time for the participants.
Black Dogs Matter
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I never put hunters and poachers in the same league. Never will, show me the post where I did.

Unfortunately the end result is the same, lost genes for future animal generations. Our government issues hunting licenses and gains a lot of revenue for it, granted conservation officers are needed.

Yes, any outdoor store carries those elk, deer, and bear sound a like gadgets designed to bring out the hunted. THEY aren't having a good time I assure you when they realize it's not cameras being shot.

Odd, photographers call it "shooting" but with different results.

I recall a story about a couple in the Caribbean. They hunted fish of all sorts, brought them to the surface and called them trophies. One day they looked at the beautiful fish and agreed not to kill anymore. It wasn't hunting. They weren't eating the fish, just killing off the gene pools.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Wild life used to manage themselves, but when one mammal population is out of balance, they all get out of balance.
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

Hunting has gone one since the dawn of mankind and it appears that no harm has occurred to the gene pool of the animals we have permission to hunt.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh YES, Dog, send anyone over to do my job. They won't last a day. I've got some very special peeps to send them over to.
Heh heh.

Ultimately, it's not the job we're talking about, it's dumped bear parts and bones in a plastic bag, bear tag or no, it was not the right thing to do. A HUNTER told me how it should have gone down, and that wasn't it. So was there a tag to go with that bear? I don't know. I just know thank God for places were hunting is forbidden, like National and Provincial Parks.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

WeatherWoman wrote:Hunting has gone one since the dawn of mankind and it appears that no harm has occurred to the gene pool of the animals we have permission to hunt.

Not true. Many species have been hunted right out of existence. Doodoo birds and New Zealand's Mao bird for two. We can't take any species for granted anymore. Loss of habitat, poisons, and poaching all are doing them in. Black Rhino in Sumatra, were declared extinct last year. A huge elephant was found dead with his tusks hacked off just last week.

It goes on and on.
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

True but real hunters hunt within the rules and regulation. How many animals have gone extinct in BC due to hunting in resent history?

Return to “Central Okanagan”