Fire Victim in Court

Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Fire Victim in Court

Post by Symbonite »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... m-in-court

*removed*

The cited article states that the Fire Victim is going to court because of something totally unrelated to the house fire. Any comments about the fire, other than sympathy for losing his home, are unacceptable and will be removed.
Merry
Last edited by Merry on Jun 9th, 2014, 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Unsubstantiated remark
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
my5cents
Guru

Re: Fire Victim in Court

Post by my5cents »

*removed*
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Well sounds like he has insurance...*removed*
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

*removed* Give the guy a break already. *removed*
Last edited by Merry on Jun 9th, 2014, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

*removed*

Questioning a mod's decision on the open forum is against the rules.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

*removed*
And if the entire OP is deleted except for a link to a castanet news article, how can any post thereafter possibly be on topic as to the original posters thoughts and opinion???? It's like critiquing a book review when you only know the title of the book and not the critique.

The OP's thoughts were potentially libelous and were removed. However, you are free to comment on the news article.
Merry
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

sassybee
Board Meister

Post by sassybee »

I pay over 1200./year for house insurance. Can I afford it? NO! Would I be without it? NO.
I'm tired of the renters who can't spend a couple hundred $$ per year for TENNANTS insurance, and then all you hear is "they need help".
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

When a mother of three tells her kids, "I love you" and then proceeds to NOT care for them, as in protecting them from being homeless in order to save $30 a month, that kind of love is not expressed properly. Love is more than a feeling, it involves sacrifice and responsibility.

I'm sure she does love her children, but its an immature love at best. At the risk of derailing my own comment, I'll give an example of what I mean. Saying I love you and at the same time, smoking in the car with them in it. Thats not love and neither is being so irresponsible for your kids lives and not providing basic protection. Again, I'm sure she/you have real feelings for them, but it lacks and suffers.

Why am I being so harsh sounding? Because I wish with all my heart, that anyone in this position will read this and then go out and buy renters insurance. Please, if you really love your children, then protect them from homelessness or the need to rely on charity.

Being a victim unnecessarily is a heritage you should NOT pass down to them.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

sassybee wrote:I pay over 1200./year for house insurance. Can I afford it? NO! Would I be without it? NO.
I'm tired of the renters who can't spend a couple hundred $$ per year for TENNANTS insurance, and then all you hear is "they need help".

Renters that have assets....like decent furniture, electronics, jewellery and several thousand in wardrobe do buy insurance. You cannot compare a struggling single mom with a deadbeat father of her children who has a couch that Big Brothers or Sally Anne wouldn't take, clothes that were donated or came from Value Village, to the insurance buying tenant. A cpl hun's for insurance for what has zero market value could be the difference between the kids getting a breakfast or not. Be careful before you swipe your paintbrush and cast judgement.

sassybee
Board Meister

Post by sassybee »

Yup, I swiped my paintbrush. And I stand by by what I said. Yes, I have had all the used clothes and furniture in my life also, and not a pot to p_ss in. I still had tenants insurance. Because no matter what used stuff or new stuff or quality of stuff you have, it's still STUFF that has to be replaced. If a house burns down, people are surprised at how much it would actually cost to replace new or used. Pots, pans, sheets, towels, clothes, beds, dressers, toiletries, food, throw rugs, tvs, kids toys, and the list goes on. Maybe get rid of one of the cell phones in the family, or not eat at Mcdonalds for a day to pay the $25 or $30. per month for insurance.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

sassybee wrote:Yup, I swiped my paintbrush. And I stand by by what I said. Yes, I have had all the used clothes and furniture in my life also, and not a pot to p_ss in. I still had tenants insurance. Because no matter what used stuff or new stuff or quality of stuff you have, it's still STUFF that has to be replaced. If a house burns down, people are surprised at how much it would actually cost to replace new or used. Pots, pans, sheets, towels, clothes, beds, dressers, toiletries, food, throw rugs, tvs, kids toys, and the list goes on. Maybe get rid of one of the cell phones in the family, or not eat at Mcdonalds for a day to pay the $25 or $30. per month for insurance.

Ya know what, I am usually the pompous right of center reminder on these threads, but you have kicked my azz.

You have obviously never had to decide between 30 bucks a month for insurance on the couch and throw rugs or Quaker Oats. Instead of dissing a struggling single mom, why don\t you suggest our gov't go after the sperm donator, his TV, pots and pans and cell phone?
Last edited by twobits on Jun 17th, 2014, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sassybee
Board Meister

Post by sassybee »

Nice try. you've had no idea of what I've had to decide between. "so obviously"...haha. Or whether or not I'm a single mom, which in my opinion, has nothing to do with what we're talking about. I was talking about tenants insurance.
Couldn't care less if it's single moms, dads, seniors, whatever......
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

sassybee wrote:Nice try. you've had no idea of what I've had to decide between. "so obviously"...haha. Or whether or not I'm a single mom, which in my opinion, has nothing to do with what we're talking about. I was talking about tenants insurance.
Couldn't care less if it's single moms, dads, seniors, whatever......

You are clueless and inconsiderate *removed* then. There are far too many GENUINELY disadvantaged people in our society. Looking after some basic needs of these genuinely disadvantaged is what distinguishes us as an advanced society. Try telling a wheelchair bound person on a disability pension that contents insurance should be on their must do list. I am done with you. You have no concept of the plight some very good people face. *removed*
Last edited by Merry on Jun 17th, 2014, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate remark

sassybee
Board Meister

Post by sassybee »

I agree to end this conversation also, because I don't feel [you] "get it". *removed*
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

While a discussion about the value of tenant insurance can be both interesting and informative, it is not what this thread was originally about. If you want to discuss tenant insurance do so here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=55697

As a reminder of the original topic, here is an excerpt from the cited news article:

A sentencing date for an Osoyoos man, whose home burned to the ground last week, was slated to be set in Penticton court on Monday.

Michael McWhinnie pleaded guilty earlier this year to theft over $5,000 and fraud charges, related to the theft of $40,000 from the Osoyoos Rural Fire Protection District.

McWhinnie served as a trustee for the district for a number of years.

Merry
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

Return to “Central Okanagan”