Skaha Lake float plane dock

mug48

Skaha Lake float plane dock

Post by mug48 »

What is that building at the end of the berm of the float plane dock on Skaha Lake? Almost every morning I see one or two people having coffee with a fire burning or them sitting out on wooden lawn chairs of the small patio.
How is a visiting float plane suppose to park there when the two boats take up all the dock preventing them from docking? Who do the boats belong to?
It does look like a government instillation of some sort, but trust the gov't to take away a good fishing spot for us locals.
nepal
Übergod

Re: Skaha Lake float plane dock

Post by nepal »

Maybe just a private dock area lease, much like hundreds of others. Ya, it wouldn't provide other float plane tie-up if the current lease holder chose not to provide that. If so, they likely make lease payments and thus have right to use of the area... I think float planes can still beach at the north end of the beach, where they pull planes across the highway periodically.
wanderingchef
Fledgling

Post by wanderingchef »

For some reason it is a "Port of Entry" into the country. Don't believe me? Go check it out for yourself. My guess is that it belongs to a VERY wealthy individual who flies frequently between Canada and the U.S.A. There is a pretty sweet boat parked there usually as well as a second boat, a BMX, a SEA-DOO and a jet ski. Huge fence, razor wire, Canada Customs sign......... Who ever it is gets to skip customs and just phone them to tell them he is in the country.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

wanderingchef wrote:For some reason it is a "Port of Entry" into the country. Don't believe me? Go check it out for yourself. My guess is that it belongs to a VERY wealthy individual who flies frequently between Canada and the U.S.A. There is a pretty sweet boat parked there usually as well as a second boat, a BMX, a SEA-DOO and a jet ski. Huge fence, razor wire, Canada Customs sign......... Who ever it is gets to skip customs and just phone them to tell them he is in the country.

The thing is not privately owned. It is a designated Canada Customs entry point for float planes. The marina on Osoyoos Lake in Osoyoos is also a designated entry point for boats that cross the border on the lake and want to land on Canadian soil. It is the responsibility of the operator, boat or plane, to notify Canada Customs of their arrival and wait for a customs agent to arrive. Failure to do so has some serious repercussions.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
sale4u
Fledgling

Post by sale4u »

It IS privately owned. It is wealthy individual, but it is NOT an "entry point" . It is currently lived in by the Gardner at Barefoot Resort. The toys parked there are the owners. Not conjecture - facts.
lakesailor

Post by lakesailor »

Originally Transport Canada operated a water aerodrome at this location – however some years ago Transport Canada ceased to operate the water aerodrome at this location and no longer has any interests in this area – hence why Transport Canada signage has since been removed.

For a period of time a private aviation business operated a water aerodrome from this same location however that business (as I understand it) was sold to the current owner who also owns aviation and also non aviation related businesses.

Whatever activities are occurring at the location at the present time they are not affiliated with Transport Canada in any way. Hope this is helpful.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

sale4u wrote:It IS privately owned. It is wealthy individual, but it is NOT an "entry point" . It is currently lived in by the Gardner at Barefoot Resort. The toys parked there are the owners. Not conjecture - facts.

That is very interesting R. Because there are Canada Customs signs there. It has always been a float plane dock and a Customs point for float planes in conjunction with the airport. How interesting!! It would seem that the plot thickens here.
Let's try to put the pieces together here....cuz the bits and pieces I have heard.....I cannot verify and do not wish to slander anyone. Having said that, it has been suggested that our local media celebrated young entrepreneur of the tent village is really just a public face for a multi millionaire tech company cash out. Then we have airport beach lease terminated with the city. Enter Boonstock. Coincidence? I will leave that for the reader to decide.
Now add to this that the city has also given notice to Penticton Yamaha and Marine that they are not renewing their lease beyond December 31, 2014. A business that has operated for many years and pumped many thousands of dollars in capital investment to upgrade the building and property is being tossed. And if the grapevine is correct,it is because the same silent millionaire behind tent town has made a deal with the city to convert the facility to a restaurant and bar.
While some may say "so what, it's good investment", think about this for a moment. What was city controlled from the Skaha Marina all the way east to airport beach, will now be in the control of one person. Now add to that Wrights Beach Campground that is also Locatee land under lease, which will it appears be eventually absorbed, along with Sudbury Beach which is also Locatee land with a lease termination date with the city, and you have one person controlling the entire stretch of Skaha Beach with the exception of "Muscle Beach". Now add to that....no requirement to conform to city bylaw rules and regulations.

It could be an awesome investment or it could be a huge cluster F if the objective is to skirt rules that would normally apply. I want to be the glass is half full person, but this whole thing is clearly tied in with Boonstock (et al) and the lack of transparency and answers like "let's just talk about the fun stuff", have my warning bells ringing loud enough to wake the dead.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

Interesting pieces of a puzzle indeed.
Seems like a couple of savvy people are setting up quite the playground. Skaha Hills developments with a winery and golf course is right above, adding to that playground feel.
It seems oddly familiar. The downtown core once had that playground vibe going on. It could be that there are people with means who think we can get a little piece of that back.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Maybe off topic, but Skaha Beach is a way better beach than the other one and I was just thinking the other day "Why has nobody cashed in on the resort potential yet?"
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

ToddT wrote:Maybe off topic, but Skaha Beach is a way better beach than the other one and I was just thinking the other day "Why has nobody cashed in on the resort potential yet?"

Perhaps someone has now. Let's just hope it is quality and not just party central.

Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 8th, 2014, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
wanderingchef
Fledgling

Post by wanderingchef »

it is def owned by an uber rich person..... My sources tell me its the money behind barefoot.......
smoky500
Fledgling

Post by smoky500 »

How can the City not renew a current contract and hand out a new lease agreement to someone else with out due diligence? Are they not required to put a lease out to tender/highest bidder/best proposal??
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Dawnland wrote:Interesting pieces of a puzzle indeed.
Skaha Hills developments with a winery and golf course is right above,

With respect Dawnland, you need to check your sources of information that are more up to date than the original marketing. My understanding is that the Kenyons, principle developers, said that a golf course would not be feasible. The development moved forward anyway with the understanding that the PIB would seek out other partnerships for the golf course development portion. Last I heard, no one is interested. Which also begs the question, I am sorry, but how many of those conditional sales were based on an expectation of a golf course?
Something else I would be interested in hearing, considering your social equality slant, is what you think of the price point entry for these homes. From what I can see is that the very basic of home package available is not directed to anything but a wealthy retiree or someone that earns over 150k/yr.
If this development were to be within "whitey" territory, it would require a multiple family and affordable housing portion. Any comment on that absence?

Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

*removed*

To alleviate the risk of being removed for off-topic, I am replying here.
You're comment about 'whitey' territory requires further clarification. As I alluded to in the other post, the RDOS developments aren't required to have affordable housing allotments either so your pigment reference is misguided. There are no low-income multi-family spots at Sendero Canyon and so to use your terminology, that's 'whitey' territory as well.
As far as Skaha Hills goes;
The purchasing agreements for those who have made the conditional sales deposit for phase 1 have only gone out in the last month and not all have been completed. The purchasers are provided all the information regarding the development plans and details prior to signing the agreements.
All the units in phase 1 are spoken for and there is a waiting list for phase 2.
As far as my social equity slant and the development of Skaha Hills goes, you may be interested in hearing it and unless I am running for public office, I am not required to answer.
Last edited by Jo on Jul 31st, 2014, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: In future please make sure you're addressing the right member.

Return to “Central Okanagan”