Why spend money on bike lanes?

Home of the traffic rant.
the quadguy
Fledgling

Re: Why spend money on bike lanes?

Post by the quadguy »

Hey it's bad enough all the idiot drivers you see every day driving and talking on their phones or texting but I could hardley believe what I saw the other day on gordon near springfield . A real idiot riding his bike (and it was cold) but this guy had on his girly spandex ,real pretty helmut and sunglasses, but the pinhead was riding with no hands and texting at the same time. Now, I know he should be my hero because he was probably chewing gum at the same time, and really knows how to multitask. Instead I found myself wishing he would smash into a parked car . Not that I would like to see him hurt (that will happen soon enough) but just to see the embarasment
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

Bikes should have to be registered and insured and pay the same amount of road tax as vehicles do.
Until that happens *bleep* off and stay out of my lane.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Nice attitude mudder.

You do realize those bikers have cars at home and pay taxes just like you don't you? I guess a little less in gas tax since they chose to ride their bikes.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Should pedestrians be registered, pay for insurance and help with building and maintaining sidewalks?
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I resurrected this thread rather than start another one.

I read stuff almost daily about cyclists who complain about drivers and in a lot of cases, I agree that there is a disconnect between motor vehicle operators and the general awareness that there are cyclist on the roads. We need to share them for sure but respect and understanding goes both ways.

My major peeve about a lot of cyclists is their unwillingness to dismount at cross walks or observe stop lights or 4 way stops.

You can't *bleep* and moan about crappy inattentive drivers if you're breaking the rules yourself.

The number of times I have had to brake for a cyclist at an intersection who blithely cruise thorough it contrary to the signage or the light pattern is, well, lots.

On the upside; I love it when I see a cyclist who understands and uses arm signals. Warms my heart.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

The reason why far to many cyclists have no regard for laws/rules is they know there is no penalty for their actions. Motorists face fines and even a loss of driving privileges for infractions but the RCMP/Bylaws don't even make an effort to enforce the laws to cyclists because they know the odds on the cyclist paying the fine are basically nil.
Everyone operating a vehicle on the roads, or to often on the sidewalks, should not only be licensed but they and their vehicle should be equipped with all the required safety equipment.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

southy wrote:Ok .. I will probably get torched for this, but I have a very difficult time trying to comprehend cyclists thinking. Thursday on my way to work I was driving south on Government. Traffic was heavy and with the array of crosswalks and the odd light driving Government is hectic enough. Oh did I also say Government has two bike lanes on it ... one for each direction. As I approach the lights at Duncan and Government out of no where come two cyclists heading north in the main lane ... they then cut into the North turning lane and cut in front of me and make the turn onto Duncan. Perhaps someone can enlighten me .. since there are two bike lanes on this street shouldn't the cyclists be using them and making their turn left on the crosswalk? I could be wrong, but gee ... these two idiots almost got hit. And yes they were wearing the expensive spandex suits and colorful helmets. Not your run of the mill kids on a bike. It really seems to me and pardon me if I am using a wide brush but these cyclists seem to think they are entitled to do whatever they may and by God don't you dare as a vehicle owner and driver question them or you will receive a friendly salute and some harsh words. It is difficult to report these idiots to police as they would never be caught. Yes, its summer folks ... take extra care driving because if one of us do hit these idiots it will probably be us who are charged. Go figure!!

You're supposed to ride like you're driving a car. That means stopping at red lights and stop signs, and yielding. When making a left turn, no one in their right mind is going to get off their bike and then cross at the crosswalk.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

If one looks at Europe and Asia it is evident that the number of bicycles and similar modes of transportation will continue to increase as the population increases. Vehicle drivers have to realize that our roads were made to facilitate getting from point A to point B, by whatever means chosen.

For years "bigger and faster" has evolved the concept that our roads were exclusively for motor vehicles. We are having to readjust our thinking to the new reality that Europe and Asia have accepted for ages. As noted in some of the comments, it is a painful reality for some to accept.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Donald G wrote:As noted in some of the comments, it is a painful reality for some to accept.

The painful reality for some will be accepting the fact that traffic laws are for everyone's safety and that disregarding them can be painful, even fatal.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

I live downtown on Graham road by Cawston. There are so many little intersections down in that area, all with stop signs. I don't know how many times I've been stopped at a stop sign and a cyclist has just blown through, not even slowing down to see if there is a car coming. It gives me a heart attack every time, because I never know if a cyclist is going to come speeding out from behind a parked car and just ride through the stop sign.

I definitely feel that cyclists need to follow the rules of the road, just as drivers do. Safest thing for the cyclist and the driver.
hail Satan y'all
sherashera
Fledgling

Post by sherashera »

When was the last time you saw a driver, just decide to start driving the on the sidewalk? I see cyclists do this all the time. I saw one maroon riding her bike in Rutland yesterday not paying attention and texting on her cell phone. Yeah that's real smart.
My word, doesn't the year fly by? One minute its Come All Yea Faithful, the next your flat on your back in the sand. Its hard to tell which one enjoys the most.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Mexicalidreamer ...

I agree with your comment about bicycles signaling. On the plus side I see more and more cyclists adopting their obligation all the time.

I also agree with the person who mentioned cyclists having insurance but disagree regarding licensing bicycles and riders.
beancounter
Board Meister

Post by beancounter »

whatwhat wrote:I live downtown on Graham road by Cawston. There are so many little intersections down in that area, all with stop signs. I don't know how many times I've been stopped at a stop sign and a cyclist has just blown through, not even slowing down to see if there is a car coming. It gives me a heart attack every time, because I never know if a cyclist is going to come speeding out from behind a parked car and just ride through the stop sign.

I drive in that area a fair bit, and I know what you mean. I've become accustomed to assuming a bike will blast through, so am watching for them. I followed one down Water Street yesterday, swerving in and out of the bike lane portion, not stopping for stop signs, up on the sidewalk, etc.. 'I am a vehicle, no wait; I am a pedestrian'. Really frustrating as you don't know what they will do.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To beancounter ...

A person riding bicycle is NOT a pedestrian. A person walking and pushing their bicycle IS a pedestrian.

Those cyclists who do not obey the rules of the road for vehicles are taking their chances. If you are obeying the law and you hit one they are the master of their own fate.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

whatwhat wrote:I live downtown on Graham road by Cawston. There are so many little intersections down in that area, all with stop signs. I don't know how many times I've been stopped at a stop sign and a cyclist has just blown through, not even slowing down to see if there is a car coming.

In cyclists defense, I rarely see cars at those intersections. If I see a car approaching the 4-way, I'll slow down and make sure the car goes first, just like the rules say I should. If I'm there first or if there are no cars around I'll go through it without stopping. Blowing through the 4-way stop while there's a car already there is dumb though, you're right.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”