City Council Breaking Records

livewire
Fledgling

City Council Breaking Records

Post by livewire »

Not surprising. Disappointing but not surprising. Like him or hate him, IMHO Vasalaki's the winner in this one.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#118339
twobits
Guru

Re: City Council Breaking Records

Post by twobits »

livewire wrote:Not surprising. Disappointing but not surprising. Like him or hate him, IMHO Vasalaki's the winner in this one.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#118339

I really hope that John runs for the big chair. He has always been the voice of reason and common sense. It is one thing to self proclaim being a fiscal conservative and quite another to lead by example. John has lead by example for all of his years on council. One would be hard pressed to find someone more committed to promoting family values, from a humble and simple background that has not forgot what it was like starting out, and an unwavering commitment to integrity and transparency.
He has ruffled plenty of councillor feathers over the years by telling them how it is, but yet there he is, bum in seat, for all these years.
Politicians like to throw chit. It's pretty hard to do so when there is nothing on your target for it to stick to......as witnessed by Hopkins' last attempt asking John, "Which one were you?" when John related that he grew up in a house with chickens and pigs inside for the winter.
Class vs. no class.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Ran into John yesterday at city hall while paying my taxes. Told him I thought he should run for Mayor. He said "Thanks, I am". I said "BS...really?" He said "yes.....really.....I will be making a formal announcement next month but go ahead and tell everyone, it is no secret now."
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

Was Vasalaki not the councilor defending delays in taking action against the condemned party house a while ago? I can' recall the details but the neighbours didn't feel they were being represented. He seemed to be more concerned about the out of town landlord.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

I have been generally a supporter of Litke however the recent City management raise disclosure that was in the paper shows that sometime in the past year all of the 2nd floor city managers got huge raises since Litke became Mayor and I don't recall any public announcements on this - did I miss it?

I am also disappointed that Litke neutered the fiscal review committee - who previously had the power to review the City's fiscal decisions at it's discretion can now only do so under the direction (basically request) from Litke and council. This is not transparency or accountable.

Also curious now that the City has loaned money for the Wildstone downtown theater project what is to become of the land for the performing arts center? The City recently cleared out the urban jungle that was there and basically we have a poorly used parking lot now not generating much of a return for city taxpayers.

I think we need some new faces on our next council.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

CTF wrote: I have been generally a supporter of Litke however the recent City management raise disclosure that was in the paper shows that sometime in the past year all of the 2nd floor city managers got huge raises since Litke became Mayor and I don't recall any public announcements on this - did I miss it?

No you didn't miss it. There wasn't one. I would love to see a transcript of the in camera meeting on this to see where each councillor stood.

CTF wrote:I am also disappointed that Litke neutered the fiscal review committee - who previously had the power to review the City's fiscal decisions at it's discretion can now only do so under the direction (basically request) from Litke and council. This is not transparency or accountable.

You might be disappointed, but you can't be shocked. Litke has proven over and over what a master chameleon he is. Fiscal responsibility to the taxpayer should be the number one priority of public office. What better way is there to avoid that responsibility than to neuter the scrutineers of the fiscal review committee? The very body whose mandate is to provide a check and balance on expenditures.
From Litke's playbook......say not one word during the CUPE strike......and then show up at a BCTF rally supporting a billion dollar hit to taxpayers. The term "fiscal responsibility" is not in Litke's vocabulary

Also curious now that the City has loaned money for the Wildstone downtown theater project what is to become of the land for the performing arts center? The City recently cleared out the urban jungle that was there and basically we have a poorly used parking lot now not generating much of a return for city taxpayers.

I think we need some new faces on our next council. [/quote]

Return to “Central Okanagan”