Western News gets $80k contract from city!

southy
Lord of the Board

Western News gets $80k contract from city!

Post by southy »

This one has me baffled. City of Penticton in their wisdom requests proposals from media (well print media, not sure about electronic) their committee, whom I would like to find out who they are make the decision to go exclusively with the Penticton Western News. Contract amount $80,0000. But wait, they say they are saving $10,000 but the story doesn't explain how. This is not a shot at the Western, I personally think they do a good job. This is bafflement towards our City folks. I could be wrong, however, I always thought that with advertising you wanted to reach the greatest number of people available. I think it would make sense for the city to utilize ALL media, both newspapers, radio, websites, direct mail, mailing lists, etc. But to spend $80,000 with just one media??? Again, I would love to know who made this decision. I would also like to know what the Penticton Western's contract included for that $80,000. I would be willing to bet that their was a lot of value added meaning freebees included. Will we ever know ... unlikely. Totally baffling.

Here is a link to the Penticton Westerns story: http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/266293891.html
XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: Western News gets $80k contract from city!

Post by XT225 »

Southy, its no secret that the editor of the Herald has ruffled the feathers of City Hall many times. Not to say that he was wrong in anyway; he does a good job of investigating stories; he just asks tough questions sometimes. I think the other media might be slightly easier on city hall; likely why they were awarded the contract. Just my theory. Not saying that I agree with it at all. Its just another one of those "non-transparencies" that our city has a reputation for these days. Don't expect an answer anytime soon.
dan111

Post by dan111 »

As a former Penticton resident who worked closely with all local media this doesn't come as a surprise. The truth of the matter is the Herald circulation is about 5,000 and dropping fast, Southern Exposure or whatever it may be called now hits the recycling straight from the doorstep. While the Western is far from perfect, it reaches over 20,000 homes and has good penetration including the vast majority of the 5,000 who get the Herald. Paying to advertise in both is simply redundant. Btw, the city previously did have all of its advertising in the Western but that changed through a campaign by Mike Pearce to reward his fawning supporters at the Herald.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

dan111 wrote:As a former Penticton resident who worked closely with all local media this doesn't come as a surprise. The truth of the matter is the Herald circulation is about 5,000 and dropping fast, Southern Exposure or whatever it may be called now hits the recycling straight from the doorstep. While the Western is far from perfect, it reaches over 20,000 homes and has good penetration including the vast majority of the 5,000 who get the Herald. Paying to advertise in both is simply redundant. Btw, the city previously did have all of its advertising in the Western but that changed through a campaign by Mike Pearce to reward his fawning supporters at the Herald.

So you say Mike Pearce rewarded his fawning supporters at the Herald. Ahhh, does this move then suggest that someone in city hall is rewarding his/her fawning supporters at the Penticton Western? Just wondering. Also, why was this budget limited to print media only? Local radio has far better penetration in the central area than say the Western or Herald. Or why not use both print and radio to maximize reach. Also, I'd still like to know who sat on this committee that made the decision to go exclusively with the Western. Lets face facts ... city hall has been known to play favorites for years, why should anything change. Unfortunately there are some very large and fragile egos occupying positions within city hall and I suppose someone at the Herald, who was probably just doing their job ruffled some feathers. Yup .. local politics are alive and well. Ho-Hummm ...
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I subscribe and get home delivery by the Herald. I do not get the free Western paper. I used to but not for a long time now. I can pick it up but seldom do. I agree with the comment about other types of advertising (ie: electronic media). I find news far quicker on Castanet than any other outlet.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

$80000 for puppy pee pads and hobo bed sheets. Yep doesn't seem like a waste of money at all.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
dan111

Post by dan111 »

Like I said, I'm a former resident so I don't know all the ins and outs and don't have a dog in this fight. But municipal advertising in every city is primarily done through local newspapers, radio would probably account for less than 1% of all municipal ad spending in the country. Websites even less. Not saying it's right or wrong, just the way it is. The vast majority of Canadian municipal governments, outside major metropolitan areas, limit their advertising budget to the community (read free) newspaper. And while a good conspiracy is always fun, unfortunately reality is a little more boring. The truth is surveys have repeatedly shown that community newspapers are the most effective way to reach the largest number of citizens.
dan111

Post by dan111 »

Won't try to justify the cost, but I can imagine the outcry if city council started passing bylaws and changing zoning without advertising in advance. As a matter of fact, I believe the Municipal Act makes it mandatory in many instances.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

dan111 wrote:Won't try to justify the cost, but I can imagine the outcry if city council started passing bylaws and changing zoning without advertising in advance. As a matter of fact, I believe the Municipal Act makes it mandatory in many instances.

Thanks for the info Dan. With all due respect, you say that the vast majority of Canadian municipal governments, outside major metropolitan areas, limit their advertising budget to the community (read free) newspapers. Where did you find this information? I would also think that every market outside metro areas is different and should not be painted by the same brush. Demographics vary, readership varies and if you add local radio or tv for that matter into the equation every market will be different as to what media the municipality is using. Playing the devils advocate for a moment (yes I'm pro radio) show me how the Penticton Western can advise residents that the a water line has broke and most of the south end of Penticton will be without water for the next 48 hours? Radio can have that message out in a matter of seconds. It happens all the time, in Penticton, Kelowna, Vernon ... smaller municipalities around the province that have local radio. Weekly or biweekly papers simply don't have the immediacy. You say a good conspiracy is fun? I say .. let the media other than the Western start looking into this because it still smells like a dead fish. Just my opinion.
dan111

Post by dan111 »

Your example is a good one, Southy, and is one where most if not all municipal governments do use radio. For an immediate notice, radio (and internet) is a necessity. But the majority of city advertising is very wordy, often including diagrams and containing long chunks of legal text. Can you imagine the carnage as drivers' eyes roll back in their head listening to that on their evening commute?
dan111

Post by dan111 »

As far as your second question, where municipal governments spend their money is a matter of public record. The nature of city advertising, with strictly worded legal text and diagrams, really is well suited for newspapers. Council's decisions on where to advertise as well as the recommendations of staff are included in the council minutes and can usually be found online. I happened to stumble across Penticton's council debate on TV two or three years ago when they switched to divide up the advertising, going against staff recommendations.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I have to side with dan111 on this. It's most likely a simple number-crunching business decision, how to comply with provisions of the Municipal Act while using taxpayer dollars most efficiently.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Dan and Fluffy. I agree with you both with regard to legal text and diagrams, street closures, rezoning, etc. However, if you look at how the City of Penticton advertises it is a nicely done display ad with headers for each item. I think what we are getting away from here is the fact one media controls budget. I'm not convinced as you say Fluffy that this is most likely a simple number-crunching business decision, how to comply with provisions of the Municipal Act while using taxpayer dollars most efficiently. Fluffy or Dan if you happen to have a link to the Municipal Act where it states a municipality must adhere to certain advertising provisions I'd love to see it. I suppose in a perfect world it would be nice to see just where and what was advertised by the City in 2013. I do believe some folks would be surprised. Still smells like a dead fish to me guys ... sorry,.
dan111

Post by dan111 »

Here's one. Google's not that hard.

Notice of public hearing 892 (1) If a public hearing is to be held under section 890 (1), the local government must give notice of the hearing
(a) in accordance with this section, and (b) in the case of a public hearing on an official community plan that includes a schedule under section 970.1 (3) (b), in accordance with section 974. (2) The notice must state the following: (a) the time and date of the hearing; (b) the place of the hearing; (c) in general terms, the purpose of the bylaw; (d) the land or lands that are the subject of the bylaw; (e) the place where and the times and dates when copies of the bylaw may be inspected. (3) The notice must be published in at least 2 consecutive issues of a newspaper, the last publication to appear not less than 3 and not more than 10 days before the public hearing.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Thanks Dan - glad Google is your friend ... not disagreeing with you on this. I understand where you are coming from in that the City has to use print for certain items. But not $80,000 worth of items. We could go on and on with this and I think I've said enough. Somehow giving one media outlet your entire budget simply does not make sense - period. Lets just agree to disagree. Thanks for participating - you have some valid points.

Return to “Central Okanagan”