Tourism Penticton

my10cents

Tourism Penticton

Post by my10cents »

We've heard there's a new person at the helm of Tourism Penticton - the role previously held by Jessie Campbell.

We haven't heard much regarding this new person's vision- or the vision of the new Tourism Board. Can anyone enlighten me?
Whyme2
Übergod

Re: Tourism Penticton

Post by Whyme2 »

my10cents wrote:We've heard there's a new person at the helm of Tourism Penticton - the role previously held by Jessie Campbell.

We haven't heard much regarding this new person's vision- or the vision of the new Tourism Board. Can anyone enlighten me?

She's on Vacation in Europe.
my10cents

Post by my10cents »

Oh, so all is on hold until she gets back?
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

my10cents wrote:We've heard there's a new person at the helm of Tourism Penticton - the role previously held by Jessie Campbell.

Whyme2 wrote:She's on Vacation in Europe.

Promoting Penticton perhaps?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

promoting nude beach lol
timidscribe

Post by timidscribe »

Actually it is a He. Takes full reigns in a month or so.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

timidscribe wrote:Actually it is a He. Takes full reigns in a month or so.

Reigns. LOL.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

Anonymous123 wrote:Actually it is a He. Takes full reigns in a month or so.

Reigns. LOL.

I think timidscribe was trying to say that He will reign the rain with his reins
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

Fellow they hired comes from Osoyoos

I think Osoyoos has done a pretty good marketing itself as a tourist destination - they seem to fill the town frequently without a plethora of festivals that we seem to need in Penticton. I have nothing against festivals (I quite enjoy them) but also think other creative ideas to bring visitors here is welcome

At the moment it seems like Tourism Penticton doesn't exist. Hope that changes with this new hiring.
my10cents

Post by my10cents »

CTF wrote:Fellow they hired comes from Osoyoos

I think Osoyoos has done a pretty good marketing itself as a tourist destination - they seem to fill the town frequently without a plethora of festivals that we seem to need in Penticton. I have nothing against festivals (I quite enjoy them) but also think other creative ideas to bring visitors here is welcome

At the moment it seems like Tourism Penticton doesn't exist. Hope that changes with this new hiring.

Interesting comment. I agree. It does seem like they don't exist. And I hope that changes with the new hire as well, although doesn't the new hire take direction from the board? They've been around have they not? I think the president is the fellow from Barefoot Beach Resort.
Anyway, I do hope the new hire has exceptional PR skills and a drive full of ideas and gets things done.

Does anyone know what the plan for 2015 is? I suppose I could always call Tourism Penticton. If they have one.

Appreciate the input here - thanks
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I wonder if funding has anything to do with it? The ongoing feud between council and the PHA has effectively frozen the funds that were in the bank already, but I wonder if the dispute is having any effect on transfer of room tax funds currently being collected?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

fluffy wrote:I wonder if funding has anything to do with it? The ongoing feud between council and the PHA has effectively frozen the funds that were in the bank already, but I wonder if the dispute is having any effect on transfer of room tax funds currently being collected?

Another very good question. In spite of having a communications officer at the City now we do not seem to be getting an increase in useful information. I do not fault the communications officer for that as I assume they do what they are told.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Question would be by whom?
mountain sky
Fledgling

Post by mountain sky »

The problem with the dropping tourism levels in Penticton relative to other OK valley communities is very simple. Accommodation offerings have not kept up with the changes that have occurred in the industry. Families, extended families, couples with friends all want vacation rentals or condo units with full kitchens and ammenties. The old motel, hotel model is not feasible in terms of holiday costs and can't compete. We have a few in town but they are old, tired and not what people want. That is why they go to Osoyoos, kelowna. Spirit Ridge is the draw. Until we "get with the times". We can't compete. We have way better beachfront, ammenties but he accommodation is horrible.

Return to “Central Okanagan”