Boonstock Security Stealing?

my5cents
Guru

Re: Boonstock Security Stealing?

Post by my5cents »

coolworx wrote:What a success!

Talking to many small business owners in the area, it seems that Boonstock was a BOON to a rather lethargic summer season, up to this point.

All you naysayers, you retirees, you folks that no longer have to work for a living, should be ashamed of yourselves.
Your piss-poor attitude is killing this town.

Don't forget the naysayer, police and ambulance personnel with their piss-poor attitude.

I'm a tourist, let's say and I'm looking to book a time in a nice hotel in Penticton next year. Now,,, should I pick the Boondock weekend ?

So we exchange campers on PIB land who might come in to Penticton for some booze or possibly a meal, for a family who stay three nights in a hotel, eat three square meals, shops along Main St, ????

The Penticton retirees weren't the ones bogged down in miles of traffic, in and out of the South Okanagan, but the tourists who were, may plan a different weekend or town next year.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Would it be any different than driving thru Penticton,while Peachfest is on, when you just wanted to pass through..?
There is always a chance you can end up in town jammed for an event.. A bit of research may avoid that.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Would it be any different than driving thru Penticton,while Peachfest is on, when you just wanted to pass through..?
There is always a chance you can end up in town jammed for an event.. A bit of research may avoid that.

These events are conditional on the demographics of the attendees.

The difference is where they stay and where they spend their money. If Penticton is busy because all the hotels and motels are full and the downtown streets are full and the beaches are full, the economy of the city is getting a large benefit. Yes that might dissuade some passing through from stopping.

If a huge number of people are tenting on PIB land, with only a portion possibly coming into town on a booze run or to pick up burgers, and by the nature of their activities, emergency personnel are maxed to the extent that outlying towns have had to relocate their resources to Penticton that isn't a large benefit to Penticton, in fact likely a large deficit.

If that same number, 8000 came to Penticton on this same weekend but there was no Boonstock, with the different demographic of tourists just coming to a vacation town. What would the financial difference be ? How many locals earned money at Boonstock who will spend same in the area. How many locals would earn wages at the hotels, restaurants, stores, etc if the 8000 were tourists staying in Penticton.

(I picked the number of the attendees at Boonstock for illustration purposes, but I don't even know if that number could be accommodated in the hotels in Penticton)

Having said all that, I expected that Boonstock would be a nightmare. I personally don't think you could call it a screaming success but it wasn't near a bad as I thought it would be. Likely if they apply to have it again next year, it will be approved.

The question remains : Was the lack of horrendous problems because of luck ? and will it run out.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

As a businessman, give me free spending young adults over families on budgets buying food at Wallmart, eating in their rooms, and packing picnics to the beach any day.

Not even close.

Families don't come in huge numbers, in fact over the last 20+ years they haven't come in very good numbers at all, Young people will descend on a town en-mass if it's a fun place to come, which this Valley really hasn't been for a few decades.
On a different forum

Return to “Central Okanagan”