Boil Water Advisory in Summerland

Daspoot
Übergod

Re: Boil Water Advisory in Summerland

Post by Daspoot »

Since we're full on highjack of the topic, Driving through Summerland at ~2:00am the other morning water from sprinklers on the patch of city grass between of the 7-11 and the highway were watering the highway with water running clear across 5 lanes to the other side. No biggie, but someone should probably look into that.

All things being equal, I like a nice landscape from a city, Summerland's new Boulevard looked great last time I was through there, so kudos to them. Same goes for the roundabouts, so much better than 4 way stops, and better environmentally too!

The other point might be that water for landscaping does not equate to water for agriculture, even if it bothers NextGen. The comparison is apples and marshmallows my friend.
On a different forum
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

Daspoot wrote:Since we're full on highjack of the topic, Driving through Summerland at ~2:00am the other morning water from sprinklers on the patch of city grass between of the 7-11 and the highway were watering the highway with water running clear across 5 lanes to the other side. No biggie, but someone should probably look into that.

its like that all over Summerland, every sport that has grass, I've seen the flower beds in the center of divider spraying into the streets at night... District of Summerland abusing water none stop most the year. But its beautiful.
As for the Turbidity Issue... its clear that money will need to be spent to upgrade and reinforce the water shed. But that will have to wait until we are done dressing up the city making it look pretty, paying for Police Station Amenities we don't really need and sell the $1,000,000.00 parcel of land the old RCMP building sits on, or another Round about...
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
NextGen
Fledgling

Post by NextGen »

Like I said before
I think people just like to blame their local government instead of looking at themselves or their neighbors for their own responsibility in this town.

If you see a misuse of water as a resident you should then call the City and let them know. Problem Solved. The Police Station has been an old debate. Some people just dont want progress. Think for the future not the present and stop living in the past.
“You're short on ears and long on mouth.”
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

In a way, having home owners pay for their water usage in pay-by-use format may be viewed as a bit of an unwritten license to use as much as they are willing to pay for.
On a different forum
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Daspoot wrote:In a way, having home owners pay for their water usage in pay-by-use format may be viewed as a bit of an unwritten license to use as much as they are willing to pay for.

Despite it's flaws, it is a much better system than a "flat rate everyone pays the same system". The biggest motivator to saving water would be for people to actually pay the true cost of delivery. We don't so as long as it is subsidized, there will be abuse.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

Agreed, but I forsee resentment as the well-off can simply pay more and water at will.

C'est la vie'
On a different forum
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Daspoot wrote:Agreed, but I forsee resentment as the well-off can simply pay more and water at will.

C'est la vie'

Ahh, but if the true cost of service is charged it would be the same resentment that a driver of a beat up ol pickup would have sitting next to a Benz at a red light. Do we begrudge the guy in the Benz for making different life choices that affords a Benz or should we all drive beat up ol pickups so we are equal?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

twobits wrote: Do we begrudge the guy in the Benz for making different life choices that affords a Benz

Generally, as Canadians, yes. Yes we do. ;)
On a different forum
NextGen
Fledgling

Post by NextGen »

BOIL WATER NOTICE LIFTED - SUMMERLAND WATER SYSTEM

Turbidity Reading: .05 NTU Turbidity Index: See below.

August 15, 2014 Response:

The District of Summerland wishes to notify all users of the Summerland Water System that the BOIL WATER NOTICE has been LIFTED as of August 15, 2014. Water quality is considered to be good.

If you have any questions about the Water Quality, please contact the Summerland Water Division at 250-494-9747.
“You're short on ears and long on mouth.”

Return to “Central Okanagan”