Boil Water Advisory in Summerland

my5cents
Guru

Boil Water Advisory in Summerland

Post by my5cents »

How much did that new water treatment plant cost ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
old boy
Fledgling

Re: Boil Water Advisory in Summerland

Post by old boy »

Yes the plant wasnt cheap,but the plant simply cant keep up with the demand in this hot weather.More system separation needs to be done,thus less agricultural water demand.Plenty capacity for domestic use,if the system wasnt supplying ag water.
The rules of treatment have changed,so a higher standard,but basically the same water we were all drinking before the plant was built,from my understanding.
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

No doubt there's lots of watewr being used right now.
My neighbour cheats tho'....he has underground irrigation and has it set to come on EVERY night after supper time. It waters his whole place in stages. Not fair to people that play by the regulations. You're only supposed to water every other night.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

old boy wrote:Yes the plant wasnt cheap,but the plant simply cant keep up with the demand in this hot weather.More system separation needs to be done,thus less agricultural water demand.Plenty capacity for domestic use,if the system wasnt supplying ag water.
The rules of treatment have changed,so a higher standard,but basically the same water we were all drinking before the plant was built,from my understanding.

Can you imagine the demand if they build all those houses along Garnet Ave?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

What, it would be like +.003% more demand?
On a different forum
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

0gopogo wrote:No doubt there's lots of watewr being used right now.
My neighbour cheats tho'....he has underground irrigation and has it set to come on EVERY night after supper time. It waters his whole place in stages. Not fair to people that play by the regulations. You're only supposed to water every other night.

Actually each address is given days, for example mine are Sun Tues Fri for u/g it's between midnight and 0600. I read that one of the problems is that too many have their u/g water set to start right at midnight.

Yes, my neighbor cheats as well, waters on the correct nights, but then has the sprinkler on in the day time. Not hard to tell who' s cheating, whoever has the most lush green grass in the neighborhood.

I wonder how much that will change next year once they start to pay for metered water. From checking my consumption I'm going to save a few dollars (not much though).
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

People need to xeriscape more.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
old boy
Fledgling

Post by old boy »

So my earlier assumption was wrong.
Here is the notice and the reason for it, nothing to do with the capacity of the plant,at all!!

"There is a Boil Water Advisory in effect for the Summerland Water System. This notice does not affect those residents on the Garnet Valley Water System. The cause of the notice was that during the decanting of water from the residual ponds some contaminates inadvertently entered the Water Treatment Plant. This resulted in an increase in turbidity and bacterial count which required issuance of the Boil Water Notice. We are hopeful that the Notice will be lifted by the weekend but that will be dependent on getting test results that will support the decision to lift of the Notice. It is recommended that residents use water that has been boiled or use a safe alternative."

In any event, residential water consumption accounts for 20% use of the water, while if there are going to be any significant water consumption savings, it would have to come from ag conservation, as that usage accounts for 80% of consumption.
So a few houses along Garnett Ave,wont have any affect on our water system.
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

Why is this still an issue? i wish Summerlands Mayor and Council would take water quality as serious as they do making round abouts and decorating them with pretty flowers.... that get watered like every night and the surrounding street.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
NextGen
Fledgling

Post by NextGen »

Why is this still an issue? i wish Summerlands Mayor and Council would take water quality as serious as they do making round abouts and decorating them with pretty flowers.... that get watered like every night and the surrounding street.

I think this comment is ridiculous. If you read above the earlier post this has nothing to do with watering of flowers. It just gives people like you a venue to post negative uneducated opinions on forums. If there is a question about abuse of watering, lets have a discussion about Vineyards and farmers over using water and watering every night. And the rest of us have to pay for that consumption.
“You're short on ears and long on mouth.”
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

Speaking of ridiculous....
On a different forum
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

NextGen wrote:I think this comment is ridiculous. If you read above the earlier post this has nothing to do with watering of flowers. It just gives people like you a venue to post negative uneducated opinions on forums. If there is a question about abuse of watering, lets have a discussion about Vineyards and farmers over using water and watering every night. And the rest of us have to pay for that consumption.

I'm glad you find the comment ridiculous, I'm OK with people broadcasting their ignorance. The bottom line is we have no real idea of the District's use or misuse of water in Summerland, we as taxpayers and land owners are asked to curb our use and regulate our water usage. However the flowers in Sumermlands meridians and round abouts have been planted with volumes of flowers that require vast amounts of water, in many cases are over watered and water runs down the streets wasted. but that's silly talk. you know us being a semi desert area and all.
NextGen
Fledgling

Post by NextGen »

I'm glad you find the comment ridiculous, I'm OK with people broadcasting their ignorance. The bottom line is we have no real idea of the District's use or misuse of water in Summerland, we as taxpayers and land owners are asked to curb our use and regulate our water usage. However the flowers in Sumermlands meridians and round abouts have been planted with volumes of flowers that require vast amounts of water, in many cases are over watered and water runs down the streets wasted. but that's silly talk. you know us being a semi desert area and all.

This comment made me chuckle, Its funny how you mention that the District misuses water, if you look at the plants or flowers that were panted this year, they are suitable drought resistant flowers. If anything we as residents, and residents in ALR that are misusing water. That's why the city has asked to regulate (funny how the Municipality is trying to help our City), but do people follow instructions,some do and some dont, Many people have complained about the neighbors abusing the water system. If anything you should be talking to your neighbors about their watering responsibility habits and how it affects the rest of the community.
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

NextGen wrote:This comment made me chuckle, Its funny how you mention that the District misuses water, if you look at the plants or flowers that were panted this year, they are suitable drought resistant flowers.
well folks, feel free to scroll through google earth's street view of Summerlands drought resistant flower beds, trees and lawns that align the streets.. witness the volume of hoses that are poking up in the view of low pressure and high pressure watering systems.. pretty sure its not xeriscaping.

NextGen wrote:If anything we as residents, and residents in ALR that are misusing water. That's why the city has asked to regulate (funny how the Municipality is trying to help our City), but do people follow instructions,some do and some dont, Many people have complained about the neighbors abusing the water system. If anything you should be talking to your neighbors about their watering responsibility habits and how it affects the rest of the community.
as for folks in the ALR orchards and Vineyards... I'm not gonna gripe about them too much.. they're making a living. Municipality is trying to win a beauty pageant. Big difference. ... but that silliness for you. you slam business and stroke government expense nice work there.
NextGen
Fledgling

Post by NextGen »

well folks, feel free to scroll through google earth's street view of Summerlands drought resistant flower beds, trees and lawns that align the streets.. witness the volume of hoses that are poking up in the view of low pressure and high pressure watering systems.. pretty sure its not xeriscaping.
as for folks in the ALR orchards and Vineyards... I'm not gonna gripe about them too much.. they're making a living. Municipality is trying to win a beauty pageant. Big difference. ... but that silliness for you. you slam business and stroke government expense nice work there.

Of course you would not gripe at the Vineyards or Orchards, when they are the highest uses of water consumption in our town. Now again I will say this not all ALR individuals that abuse the system but there is fair amount that do. If we are talking numbers and volume of water its not hard to figure that out doesn’t take a rocket scientist. I think people just like to blame their local government instead of looking at themselves or their neighbours for their own responsibility in this town.

Talking about this town cosmetically, I researched and these are the most cost effective drought resistant flowers and plants. Many of us thought it was a good idea, we have a town that makes money off our tourist season and our tourists love coming here because it is clean and cosmetically appealing. Now business are struggling as it is, when tourists visit here they talk about our town and all the beautiful features we have here and that is word of mouth, more tourists more money for our community. I suppose you want to take that away from our small business owners and our town residents.

Like I said people like to blame someone else, it is too damm easy to go that route, when why not ask those around you to take some real responsibility and conserve water when you can. Is that so hard?

Return to “Central Okanagan”